• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

I'm a real adventure rider now

Rapier

Tuned and Synch'ed
I just passed putting 500 miles on my 2013 Stelvio I bought in December. I've taken it down a few gravel roads but here is a sort of funny story. I live in W Michigan on the shoreline and so yesterday took a ride on a shoreline road which at one point is right on the beach. http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/Details.aspx?id=446&type=SPRK

Right south of the bridge you may see in pictures in the link was a 70 or so foot long budding sand dune across the entire width of the road. It was deep I'd guess 3 to 6 inches of dry fine beach sand. A car ahead of me sort of struggled through it. Several people were around probably wondering what I was going to do. It's vain I know but I didn't want to be a poseur on his big adventure bike and meekly turn around in the face of this obstacle. So without stopping I shifted down into first gear and chose a tire track to follow. 2 or 3 near tank slappers latter but at steady throttle I made it through. Whew, no embarrassment.

I had anticipated this being a post about riding to Starbucks (probably while standing on the pegs).
Glad to know there was actual riding in the dirt involved!

I'm pure poseur. I got the Stelvio for touring but with the possibility of gravel and unimproved roads out west. I've just barely begun starting to work on standing and I am not comfortable. I did 20 years on Kawasaki 11 and 1200's. 15 on ZZR 1200's, great simple sport touring bikes but I needed something more upright with a lot of luggage capacity and I didn't need 140RWHP, although it was fun. I have not been on a dirty bike in 40 years. I have no intention of going off road, perhaps a few yards to reach a camping spot.

This upcoming week is my last as I retire on Friday. I anticipate at least 60 days on the road this year. I primarily camp and have a dozen 2 week or more tours under my belt over the years. None recently however.

I got the BMW off road video course and will start working on the techniques. While the ZZR is just as heavy it is not as tall of course and less top heavy. I am just trying to adopt to this after 15 years and 100K plus miles on the big Kawi's. The ZZR was like an extension of my body.

Now I will throw out a general question instead of starting a thread. Is premium gas necessary for the Stelvio? I've been putting it in but won't If it isn't necessary. I have not seen this mentioned on any threads although I am sure it is in here somewhere. The manual says 90 octane and of course in the US it's 89 midgrade and 92 premium. Is midgrade good enough. Around here 92 used to be 40 cents over regular but it has gone to 60 cents now. and I hate to pay it if I don't have to.

I just passed 1000 miles on the bike and my MPG reading right now shows 40.5. I am super happy.

Also, keep in mind the European octane rating is measured in RON, where the US octane rating is an average of RON and MON (i.e. (RON+MON)/2 ). The European octane rating of 95 turns into a US rating of about 91.

Back