• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Ignition keys and codes

BSG Mike

Tuned and Synch'ed
2007 Griso. My used Griso came with only one ignition key. Whenever I turn the Ingnition on, the dash shows the message, "Remember to insert your code" which I don't have nor did the seller know. The key I received was the one with the computer chip, but the chip was missing. The bike starts fine with this key but I wanted extras as a precaution. I ordered a new set of blanks (one with the chip one without) from AF1 and sent them my one working key, heavily insured, so they could cut the new blanks.

AF1 sent me some instructions on coding in the new keys or replacing the old code with a new one, but apparently, since I don't know the old code, I can't get it to work. When I insert the new keys in the ignition and turn the bike on, I get a message to insert the code. Without the code the key will not initiate the start sequence (idiot lights lighting up, etc) and the bike will not start. Also checked my Griso manual but it did not help.

Not sure if I'm missing a step or what. Any instructions, suggestions are welcome. At least I still have the original key. Thanks.

You're not missing any code. Since this message is still appearing, no code has yet been entered. Choose one and go for it, starting with the existing key.

Thanks! So, I can enter any 5 digit code? AF1 sent me a sheet with various codes for various Moto Guzzis. Didn't know if these were codes their shop uses for consistency or what.

So when the message pops up, it stays for a few seconds. Do I have to switch to Mode to enter or just use the square button?

You can use any code you like. Many owners use the maintenance code, easier to remember.

Not sure which button you need to push when the notification appears. I would guess the square button.

Guys, this is all covered in the Owner's Manuals, and many times on this website. In short, the User Code is something you enter to do things like reset keys, or on occasion if the RFID chip in your key hiccups, it allows you to start your bike. I HIGHLY recommend using the Service code for your model; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/service-codes.917/ -- this will allow anyone who owns the bike down the road to access them as needed, without having to send the dash out for reset or eq. "Personal" codes have caused quite a bit of headache and expense to second hand owners on.

So far, I have been able to change the code but am still having problems resetting the new keys I had cut. I have found the manual's directions to be somewhat lacking in completeness. Either that I or I'm just slow on the uptake. Continuing to try and work through the problem.

So far, I have been able to change the code but am still having problems resetting the new keys I had cut. I have found the manual's directions to be somewhat lacking in completeness. Either that I or I'm just slow on the uptake. Continuing to try and work through the problem.

Take a look at the Breva service manual in the downloads. It explains adding keys a little better. https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/resources/bForumsreva-1100-general-service-manual.24/

I'm baaaack... From another suggestion in the forum's many entries on this problem, I entered the last five digits of my VIN and PRESTO! I was no longer prompted to "Remember to enter your code". My original key was used during this procedure. I put the new key with chip attached in the ingnition and was prompted to enter the code, which I did. Then I held down the "set" button for about 3 seconds and the tach needle blipped very slightly, idiot lights flashed and after about 5 seconds SERVICE and the triangle with the exclamation point popped up on the bottom of the display. I hit the starter button anyway and the bike started. Turned it off and tried it again, and it asked me to enter the code again. Used my original key and the bike started as normal. Really would like to get the new keys which I paid about $167.00 for to work! It sux living four and one-half hours from the closest dealership.

Switch the bike on with your new key. It will ask you for your user code which you enter.

Then enter MENU, DIAGNOSTICS, enter the service code (12425), KEY CHANGE, and then program your keys (up to 4 can be programmed).

SUCCESS!! Thanks to all who offered assistance/guidance, and especially to kiwi Dave for the step-by-step procedure, which I had not been able to find anywhere. It may have been elsewhere on the forum, but I guess I didn't dig deep enough. One would think those steps would be in the manual, but I sure could not find them. Again, many thanks. Another reason I love Guzz Tech!

Back