• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New to loops and trying to set mine up to eliminate detonation(pinging)

Tubehead

Just got it firing!
Hi
I am new to Moto guzzi's the loop is my first one and with a shed full of Ducati's I have to say I am pretty smitten by this old bike.I ride it everywhere and has it quickly become my go to ride.The only fault I can find is the detonation that seems to be an accepted fault with these bikes and this is just the way they are?
Can an electronic upgrade get rid of it?

First off I have set the valves correctly tapped the inlet manifolds to take some adaptors so the carbs are now balanced .Set the points to spec and adjusted the timing with a strobe and the the advance is correct and timing spot on.I am running 98 ron .Compression in both cylinders is with in spec as it should be with a rebuilt top end by the previous owner.The points and condensor are new. A plug chop shows a nice tan color both plugs.The bike runs fantastic set up like this but pings it's head off once it's hot especially off the bottom of the rev range which I fixed by retarding the ignition timing until it stopped.
I am hoping I don't have to ride it like that permanently because I like it much better set up to spec.
Am I missing something? IMG 3642

Do you know what cylinders were used in the rebuild - Nikasil or iron liners? In my experience, those with iron liners tend to run a bit hotter and are more prone to ping.

Years ago Mark Etheridge @ Moto Guzzi Classics suggested using two "normal" advance springs (the lower one in the photo) to cure ping issues. I've used that setup to good effect on several customer bikes. It slows advance considerably, making the curve more progressive.
12715442b5443.jpg

Thanks
Gilardona cylinders so nikasil.
I read the initial advance to 2500 rpm is quite aggressive so will give this a go if I don't go electronic.
There seems to be a couple of choices there but would be mad not to try your suggestion first before parting with $500 Aud .
Can I buy the spring from you?

Going electronic wouldn't change the advance curve as far as I know. It still uses the mechanical advance of the distributor. Amboman's suggestion is excellent. Some time ago, a US dealer made plates go to between the cylinders and block to drop compression and thus reduce the "ping". I would only look at that as a last resort.

Thanks
Gilardona cylinders so nikasil.
I read the initial advance to 2500 rpm is quite aggressive so will give this a go if I don't go electronic.
There seems to be a couple of choices there but would be mad not to try your suggestion first before parting with $500 Aud .
Can I buy the spring from you?

I can supply the springs (would need to buy two sets to get two "normal" ones) but it would be just as easy to buy from MG Cycle.

An electronic ignition is only going to help if it doesn't use the original advance unit and has advance curve that can be changed. Paul Crowe (I think that's his name?) at C5 Performance made a limited number of complete new distributors incorporating their programmable ignition system. IIRC, it was around USD 500, so not inexpensive.

I can supply the springs (would need to buy two sets to get two "normal" ones) but it would be just as easy to buy from MG Cycle.

An electronic ignition is only going to help if it doesn't use the original advance unit and has advance curve that can be changed. Paul Crowe (I think that's his name?) at C5 Performance made a limited number of complete new distributors incorporating their programmable ignition system. IIRC, it was around USD 500, so not inexpensive.
I will give the springs a go first and take it from there .Thanks for advice.

Back