• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Removed the heel shifter

Dropinparts

Tuned and Synch'ed
Coming off sport bikes I really am not a heel shifter kind of rider, so I took it off. Lots more room to move your foot around. If you don't use the heel shifter, I highly recommend this simple modification.
IMG_1479_zpspn95s6im.jpg

Dropinparts,
Looks great. Think mine's coming off too. The only thing it's good for is finding neutral and shifting with a broken leg in an air boot!! No broken leg this year!!

When I rode floorboard models, I found the heel toe shifting to be more positive. Once you get accustomed to it it works great. If you haven't modified yet and are thinking of it, give it some time. Downward pressure to shift is more positive than lifting. Think about how race bikes are modified to up shift with down pressure.

I put 1 year and 9,000 miles on mine with the heel shifter on because so many people like them. I figured I would adjust. I took it off this spring and like it so much better. I am glad Guzzi gave us the option. A nice item is the bolts will go back in the holes so they don't fill up with road grime and I won't lose them.

I've owned Harleys in the past and I'm used to a heel shifter. The Guzzi one seems a little lower at the heel and the tranny doesn't have the CLUNK that a Harley tranny does which caused a problem the other day.

I was backing the bike out of my driveway. I had the bars cranked to turn it and point it downhill. I was going to coast for a few feet and then fire it up and be on my way.

I put my feet up on the floorboards to coast and OOPS! accidentally hit the heel shifter and it dropped into first. It was like someone slammed on the back brake. The bike started lurching to the right and it was all I could do to keep from dropping it.

Thankfully, I'm strong like bull and kept it upright.

I'm have used a heel shifter & I'm OK with that but I like to have more room also so I cut it down smaller. 20150613 183827

My 173rd Airborne Brother lost his lower leg, so he just tac welded a 1/2 rim/band on back of his HD floorboard.
It looked great and kept his false leg from flying off at speed....LOL which happed prior to modification..dammit you should have seen the looks from the cage to the side of us...

My 173rd Airborne Brother lost his lower leg, so he just tac welded a 1/2 rim/band on back of his HD floorboard.
It looked great and kept his false leg from flying off at speed....LOL which happed prior to modification..dammit you should have seen the looks from the cage to the side of us...
That sounds like a good idea, I wonder if a variation of that would work to be a place for your foot for those that want a foot peg?

Mine came off the day I brought it. 'Duck walking' my brand new bike down the driveway I accidentally shin shifted into 1st. I managed to slow the rapid descent so no damage to the bike. More fortunately, my son was there to help right the magnificent machine.

There's a secondary benefit of removing the heel shift. I'm 5'6" (1.68 meters) and much more comfortable with the balls of my feet on the boards :). Win-Win.

Conversion to Audace style pegs is on the list of practical customization's soon after:
  • Todds complete fueling system upgrade - planning for 1st quarter 2017.
  • Decent hydraulic table.
    • The table will pay for itself in savings on rear tire changes alone. First rear tire change required at 3,742 miles (6020 km), 1.5 hours labour at $100 (USD).
  • Reach Seat
  • Luggage Rack
  • Removable saddle bags (H-B C-Bow system)
  • Better looking & performing exhausts.
Happy holidays all.

I'm the same way, like the heel shifter. With bigger boots it can be difficult to get the toe under and with the heel you don't miss a shift as often as you've got more force to bang it in to gear,

I will say that it took me a bit of getting used to as the previous bike didn't have a heel shifter and with the Guzzi I'd be upshifting with my heel when I meant to downshift with my front lol ... always still had the clutch in so it was an easy fix but still, felt odd at first.

Thought I'd chime in. I couldn't stand having that heel shifter in my way. But I did miss several 2-3 shifts under full throttle since my foot would slide back. So I modified mine to stay out of the way and still provide a solid heel shift when needed. I've got over 500 miles on the result and couldn't be happier.

Attachments

• Shifter mod.jpg
    Shifter mod.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 76
Thought I'd chime in. I couldn't stand having that heel shifter in my way. But I did miss several 2-3 shifts under full throttle since my foot would slide back. So I modified mine to stay out of the way and still provide a solid heel shift when needed. I've got over 500 miles on the result and couldn't be happier.
That is a practical modification. How did you do it? Is there a way to re-align the whole shifter?I was using thin soled Alpinestar riding boots which was perfect for this shift but with the weather changing here I have started using thick soled boots with heels. The whole shifting operation has changed dramatically. Riding in traffic becomes problematic.....one has to raise the heel to use the heel shifter while at the same time the toe is positioned under the toe shift. The whole foot has to be repositioned/slide out to manage that and it is almost a tap dance riding in the city...there have been times when 3rd has shifted to 4th inadvertently!

You boys must have some big ol' feet!

I'm size 11 and don't have an issue with this.

You boys must have some big ol' feet!

I'm size 11 and don't have an issue with this.
You better believe it......

I think it is not the size...it is more the type of boot one is wearing...if the boot has one of those thick anti slip soles and heel then it gets in the way....

Back