• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Dipstick, Revs and Frame Questions

Eldo1400

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Hi guys, I have a few "MG for Dummies" questions:

I see in the threads that some of you have made a "sidestand check" oil level mark on your dipsticks. Does anyone have a picture of where that mark is in relation to the range marks on the stick? I just got an aftermarket dipstick (with an oil temp gauge gizmo), since I can't read the OEM one. I know the oil is red and thick (soviet era tractor oil?) since I got it on my fingers trying to braille-read the stick lol.

Also, has anyone installed engine guards? I bought Hepco Becker guards and, where they are meant to bolt into the down-tubes on the frame, it looks like the down-tubes are split in sections and bolted together. Can that actually be? Is it something to do with MG's Magic Fingers vibration control? I certainly don't want to mess that up, since the bike is so smoooth now. However, I do want the guards since I've been out exploring, and parking in some sketchy places. I just know someone will knock it over eventually.

Finally -- there's a rev limiter, right? This engine is rev happy and a few times I've had it quite a bit past the 7k redline on the tach, without it cutting out. I haven't had a pushrod engine in years, but my recollection is that they don't like to rev much past 6.5k -- even the ones with solid lifters. This engine seems bored below 4,5k and really gets happy over 5k. It revs right the hell past 7k. I don't want to hurt it but we are both quite happy in that upper rev range.

Thanks for any help you can give.

I see in the threads that some of you have made a "sidestand check" oil level mark on your dipsticks. Does anyone have a picture of where that mark is in relation to the range marks on the stick? I just got an aftermarket dipstick (with an oil temp gauge gizmo), since I can't read the OEM one. I know the oil is red and thick (soviet era tractor oil?) since I got it on my fingers trying to braille-read the stick lol.

I wonder where did you buy the aftermarket dipstick for your Eldo 1400. Looking for something better / easier to read than OEM one for my Audace, doesn't have to have temp gauge :) Thanks!

Yes, it has a rev limiter. You are getting close at 7,000rpm. You will know when you reach the limiter - the bike will stop accelerating. You might not have noticed it acting - it is quite 'soft' in operation.

Stephen

Thanks, Uss, that was helpful. So it is the frame/subframe join and you support the engine during install, check. Now if only I hadn't left my floor jack at the ex's. I should have stayed with her for the sake of the tools lol.

janusz -- I bought the stick on ebay, from some company in England. It turned out to be for the last gen California, but it also turned out to line up perfectly with the one in my 1400. Hasn't leaked yet but I'll report again after a long ride. I think they all had the temp gauge. Kind of a novelty but what the hell. I just can't read the OEM one in any light.

Thanks, Stephen, it is a soft interruption. The ones in my other bikes cause the engine to stutter/cut off quite abruptly, so that's what I was expecting. I didn't go much past 7k, but it sure goes there quickly!

Finally -- there's a rev limiter, right? This engine is rev happy and a few times I've had it quite a bit past the 7k redline on the tach, without it cutting out. I haven't had a pushrod engine in years, but my recollection is that they don't like to rev much past 6.5k -- even the ones with solid lifters. This engine seems bored below 4,5k and really gets happy over 5k. It revs right the hell past 7k. I don't want to hurt it but we are both quite happy in that upper rev range.

Thanks for any help you can give.

I have a 2014 California Custom, and have bumped up against the soft rev limiter once or twice... It's not so noticeable as the rev-limiter on H-D Sportsters or Dyna models, but you will know for sure when it kicks in.

I assume the Eldo has the same, or a very similar, engine management package. Complete with 3 ride modes and 4 traction control settings (including MGCT --). Having experimented with various combinations of MGCT and Veloce I finally settled MGCT 1 and Veloce. IMO the bike feels quicker and she doesn't feel like she's being held back in the local twisties.

For a smoother running ride with immediate and predictable response to your throtte check out this thread https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/pc-v-autotune-300-on-cal-14.12980/

Thanks, blakbird, I'm in Veloce and I don't know what (!) on the TC. I'll have to check on that. So far I haven't felt the TC kick in during riding, but then I haven't ridden in the rain yet.

I find this bike to be incredibly smooth in all ways. No jerkiness or anything.

I bought the stick on ebay, from some company in England. It turned out to be for the last gen California, but it also turned out to line up perfectly with the one in my 1400. Hasn't leaked yet but I'll report again after a long ride. I think they all had the temp gauge. Kind of a novelty but what the hell. I just can't read the OEM one in any light.

Could be the dipstick/temp gauge that you bought?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moto-Guzzi-...ash=item4d21e69ffd:g:qScAAOSwEK9T4Nmk&vxp=mtr

Upload 2017 5 5 12 29 27

Not to throw a damper on things, but there were (and still are)aftermarket versions of these for Harleys where the aluminum "dipstick" vibrated loose and dropped into the crankcase. I'm not sure what if anything would occur if that happened on a Moto Guzzi.

Perhaps just a sick feeling when the temperature quits indicating and you draw back just a dipstick nub?

Yes, that looks like it -- but I don't know if it's the one where the dipstick falls off! Damn, I was looking forward to being able to read my dipstick.

One step foreward...

The RR dipsticks are supposedly German made, used on BMW's etc. You would hope that they wouldn't fall apart. The part number for a V11 (there is no listing that I can find for a 1400) looks to be 300033070.

Apparently the dipstick is oil filled...not sure how the dipstick is actually "attached".

Last edited:
Yes, that looks like it -- but I don't know if it's the one where the dipstick falls off! Damn, I was looking forward to being able to read my dipstick.

One step foreward...

Easy fix for the dipstick, file or grind one side flat, much easier to read.
Also the lower rails of the frame are removable to allow the motor to be installed/uninstalled. If you fit the engine bars one side at a time you should be fine.

Attachments

• ds.jpg
    ds.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 44
  • ds2.jpg
    ds2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
How fast can you go on the Cali? I got mine upto 198km/h (123mp/h) yesterday and I don't think there was much left in it. I couldn't see what revs I was doing at the time (too busy trying to hang on).

How fast can you go on the Cali? I got mine upto 198km/h (123mp/h) yesterday and I don't think there was much left in it. I couldn't see what revs I was doing at the time (too busy trying to hang on).

If you can tell me where the closed road is that you achieved this on I will come and try.

I am sure it can reach and hold the speed limits on public roads with enough power left for passing as needed. What more do you need?

I was on an organised club ride and yes the long straight level road was closed at both ends. Not something I'm likely to do again and was just interested to see what it could do as the oputunity had been given.

Good tip John L, thanks.

Somebody customized the heck out of an Eldo. Now this one looks capable of 130:

lob2017_0259.jpg

Well ... this is about oil dipstick. Last year I replaced the dipstick on my 2009 Vintage with one from MG Cycle:
'dipstick, finger twist, long for extended and deep sumps ~140mm' (stock code 200033064).
It was for the same reason, reading the oil level in any circumstances were almost impossible. Today I had a brilliant idea to compare the original one from CalVin with the one from Audace. They look not the same but... the length is the same and it fit perfectly when installed on my Audace. I think I will order another one from MG Cycle for my Audace. Let me know if you like to see some pictures :)

"Let me know if you like to see some pictures"

Yes, please, if it's not too much trouble.

Back