• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2013 V7 Racer exhaust popping noise

ksa

Just got it firing!
Hello guys,

I am new here as well as relatively new to motorcycles. I hate to be one of those people that only ask questions, however, I am sort of concerned as I just got this bike. I am not very mechanically inclined at all. I picked up a 2013 V7 Racer. Today was the first time I took it out for a ride of about 20-25 minutes and it started making a weird popping noise from the exhaust after a while. I also think I smelt something burning but not sure. The bike definitely seemed super hot so not sure if it got overheated but should be no reason as I was riding it very casually and not over-revving or anything.

I made a quick little video that I thought I'd show you guys and I am hoping that someone can help. I purchased this used with only 2200 km's on it and pretty much brand new condition. So now sure what it possibly could be and I just filled the first tank of premium and rode for a little while.

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums...oads/4EFBCFCF-26CA-4341-B609-0FC7C627FE83.mp4

Wow..so I tried to start it again I thought I'd let it cool down a bit. At first it would start up and then stall almost immediately on it's own and wouldn't stay on. Then I tried to give it a little acceleration to get it going it didn't stay on for very long and in the end it stalled but also backfired and it sounded like a freaking gun shot. Was super loud and some sparks can be seen coming out as well. I am getting scared now as I have no idea what's wrong with it. I really hope it's nothing serious or super expensive as I literally got the bike yesterday and last thing I want is to drop more $ on diagnosing it and trying to fix it.

I am not very mechanically inclined at all.

This limits what we can ask you to check. First make sure the spark plug caps are securely seated, and the spark plug wires are secure at the coils. Then in the dark, or a dark area see if there is any arching from the plug caps. Let us know what you discover.

Reactions: ksa
Thank you for your reply. Right after the issue I had messaged the seller as he worked on his bikes. He too indicated to me that I should try to change the spark plugs. I looked and they aren't very expensive and I don't mind a bit of preventative maintenance (if nothing is wrong with the current spark plugs). Although not being mechanically inclined I have no idea how to change them. I have been searching online trying to find a video or DIY guide somewhere without much luck so far. Is there are guide that shows how to change the spark plugs? Also, the seller mentioned I should change the left spark boot (?) to be on the safe side as the left side exhaust was the one making that noise.

Last edited:
Have the dealer where you buy the plugs and boots show you how to change them, it's very easy. Also there should be a thread on here somewhere on what to upgrade both of them to. You also could ask his opinion on what could be wrong.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will ask the dealer although I am not sure if they will actually show me considering they'll probably want me to bring it so they can charge me an arm and a leg to do the work. lol

I looked for threads with suggestion of what to upgrade them to but couldn't find anything except for a mention in one thread to buy the NGK brand.

So just an update in case anyone in the future is struggling with the same issue.

I went to the local dealer to buy new spark plugs and spark plug boot. They didn't have the boot available but I got the plugs. Got back and swapped the plugs and on the left side (where I thought the issue is) used electrical tape and wrapped the boot twice with it. Fired it up and let it run for 3-4 minutes and it seems to be good to go. Fingers crossed, hopefully no more issues as this probably the extent of my mechanical expertise. lol.

Also, just wondering if anyone can direct me a website where I can order the left spark plug boot as a replacement? The tape method is good for now but I would still want to order a replacement. I couldn't find it not his site here, perhaps I am not looking at the right spot?

Thanks

Are these aftermarket boots that screw on? The stock ones are made of rubber that I saw and they just pop out on both sides. The spark plug side as well as the top side where the wire is. While I was taping the boot the cable came lose and came right out of the boot. I was able to push it and put it back in though.

Top screws on to the wire as do the stock ones. Bottom pushes onto the plug but you need this style of plugs for these boots. I just did this last week.

I ordered off of Amazon. Need these plugs with these boots. Best to replace both sides. The boots screw on and off. View attachment 12297
You need the XD05F plug cap (from amazon as well) and they fit perfectly. Same spark plugs though. The "B" is for plugs 14mm and larger. The "D" is for 10mm & 12mm plugs. The plugs used here are 10mm.

Last edited:
Both seem to work the ones I bought and my friend also bought along with others work perfectly fine and are a snug fit on the plug.

The screwing the top part is confusing me. When I was taping the current boot I have with black electrical tape the wire on top (not the part that goes over the spark plug) came out of the boot. But from what I could tell there were no threads or anything on the cable itself and I simply pushed it back into the boot.

If these NGK ones have a screwing mechanism on top how would it work because the cable seemed like a standard cable with no threads on it.

Boot has threads. They just screw into the wire. The previous owner of your bike probably messed with it as he told you to change the left boot, and yours just fell apart.

Hmm I see. I guess good thing that when I taped I didn't only tape the boot itself but also the wire and boot portion to prevent the cable from coming out again. It should be fine, until I get around ordering new boots. Contemplating doing it online or just from my local shop.

There has been some confusion on the "B" or "D". The B is/was posted on Moto International's service bulletin on their site as the proper cap however that was confirmed as being incorrect. Some have used that cap but is too big. The "D" is the correct cap for our bike.

Last edited:
Thank you for your clarification and everyone else for their input. I tried my local dealer and they wanted $40 for each part. So I think I will end up ordering on Amazon as well.

Question in regards to idling and this may sound stupid but please humour me; when the bike is idling it vibrates and shakes a fair bit. Is that normal? I am assuming since the engine is running and if the bike is on the stand it vibrates on it.

Second, sometimes I notice when it's idling the throttle the sound from the bike goes slightly up and down randomly. Is that normal or something needs to be looked at?

Thanks a ton!

Thank you for your clarification and everyone else for their input. I tried my local dealer and they wanted $40 for each part. So I think I will end up ordering on Amazon as well.

Question in regards to idling and this may sound stupid but please humour me; when the bike is idling it vibrates and shakes a fair bit. Is that normal? I am assuming since the engine is running and if the bike is on the stand it vibrates on it.

Second, sometimes I notice when it's idling the throttle the sound from the bike goes slightly up and down randomly. Is that normal or something needs to be looked at?

Thanks a ton!
You already know your left plug cap is junk. Fix both caps and plugs and see if that helps. I would question the maintenance that the prior owner performed if he seemed to know about the left plug cap and did not tell you when purchasing or fix them prior.

When I put pipes on my bike and had ecu flashed I thought I would check my spark plugs after a 100ks just to see how things looked.
What I found was the plug caps or boots on both cylinders were not screwed all the way down on the leads.
I ended up screwing the caps down till they were snug and stopped turning.
From what I've read it seems to be a common problem on the v7 but I've done 8000ks and still running the stock spark plug caps with no problems anyhow time will tell.

There has been some confusion on the "B" or "D". The B is/was posted on Moto International's service bulletin on their site as the proper cap however that was confirmed as being incorrect. Some have used that cap but is too big. The "B" is the correct cap for our bike.

WTF? You need to re-read what you wrote here!

Back