• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Buffeting away again in concussionville

RainyRider

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
So, I didn't really want my first post to be so negative. I just installed the "low-bracket medium" windshield on my 2014 Custom. I'm surprised they are allowed to produce an OEM part that can cause such physical pain. It makes me wonder - has anyone ever gotten a concussion or actually passed out from windshield buffeting? I feel like I might. Ouch. I tried the 0.5" spacer trick on the bottom bolts with some improvement but not nearly enough. I guess I would like to know if I should try the "sport" shorter windshield or the fly screen. I'm trying to disrupt or divert the air around my chest so I'm not a big air baffle (I make a better door than a window). When I did this on my BMW with a small window, I got 3-5 MPG Improvement, simply from reducing air resistance. Perhaps I'm destined to Not have a window on this beautiful bike. It looks better without anyway. To me. I appreciate any advice. Thanks!!

Stock MG flyscreen works great, had no luck with any of the others.

Buffeting is so dependent on your helmet too. An open helmet might reduce it some, but they're not for me except perhaps at low speeds where buffeting is not an issue.

So, I didn't really want my first post to be so negative. I just installed the "low-bracket medium" windshield on my 2014 Custom. I'm surprised they are allowed to produce an OEM part that can cause such physical pain. It makes me wonder - has anyone ever gotten a concussion or actually passed out from windshield buffeting? I feel like I might. Ouch. I tried the 0.5" spacer trick on the bottom bolts with some improvement but not nearly enough. I guess I would like to know if I should try the "sport" shorter windshield or the fly screen. I'm trying to disrupt or divert the air around my chest so I'm not a big air baffle (I make a better door than a window). When I did this on my BMW with a small window, I got 3-5 MPG Improvement, simply from reducing air resistance. Perhaps I'm destined to Not have a window on this beautiful bike. It looks better without anyway. To me. I appreciate any advice. Thanks!!

Have you tried it with the fairing lowers that are available? I use them on mine and virtually no buffeting issues.
Baring that...could I interest you in a trade? I have the stocker on my touring, but in the Texas summer I could stand a bit more airflow over the screen...
Kirk

Have you tried it with the fairing lowers that are available? I use them on mine and virtually no buffeting issues.
Baring that...could I interest you in a trade? I have the stocker on my touring, but in the Texas summer I could stand a bit more airflow over the screen...
Kirk
Well, I have the "Lower" style brackets so the stock touring windshield would not work. Plus I think I'm looking for the shorty to put the turbulence at my shoulders.

Stock MG flyscreen works great, had no luck with any of the others.

Buffeting is so dependent on your helmet too. An open helmet might reduce it some, but they're not for me except perhaps at low speeds where buffeting is not an issue.
Does the fly screen reduce any belly-chest air resistance, or just look really cool? Either would be good. :)

That's weird, I really like the medium windshield. I even rode around the beaches when 70 mph gusts were coming through the canyons. Sandwiched between semis on the freeway at 80 mph. All good. The only nastiness I get is when I put my head into the slipstream.

I had an original Touring windshield that was buffeting to some degree, nothing critical but still quite annoying at times. I cut the windshield by about 4 inches and now my helmet is in a much better position and there's no buffeting when there's no side wind, and a negligible amount of buffeting when there is side wind. I'm quite happy with the results.

Note that I'm pretty tall at 6'4".

Does the fly screen reduce any belly-chest air resistance, or just look really cool? Either would be good. :)
I agree with Kiwi Dave....I used to get a lot of buffeting on my Eldo, especially on the motorways. The flyscreen has changed all that....no more buffeting. The helmet, somewhat yes, but the way I solve that is to slightly tilt my head forward/down to deflect the wind upwards and stay within the laminar airflow of the screen....works for me.

UPDATE: I've sent an email to the dealer where I purchased it and to Piaggio/Moto Guzzi to see if there is some sort of customer satisfaction policy I can take advantage of. The dealer's policy is that these are "special order" and can't be returned, but this seems like a more serious issue. I don't like having $600 worth of useless stuff around, when I could be investing in the cool GT exhausts or something instead. By the way - I still have a headache and feel a bit uneasy from the test rides. I may go to the doctor if this doesn't go away by tomorrow.

I just installed the "low-bracket medium" windshield on my 2014 Custom. I'm surprised they are allowed to produce an OEM part that can cause such physical pain. It makes me wonder - has anyone ever gotten a concussion or actually passed out from windshield buffeting? I appreciate any advice. Thanks!!

Is this the item you have installed?

Upload 2017 5 18 14 22 59

If you are running without the lowers, I am not surprised that you are getting buffeting. Most likely the buffeting is caused by turbulent air coming from UNDER the windshield and up towards your head.

I strongly recommend you get the Air Deflectors. These will act to stop so much air getting under the windshield.

Upload 2017 5 18 14 27 14

Is this the item you have installed?

View attachment 12401

If you are running without the lowers, I am not surprised that you are getting buffeting. Most likely the buffeting is caused by turbulent air coming from UNDER the windshield and up towards your head.

I strongly recommend you get the Air Deflectors. These will act to stop so much air getting under the windshield.

View attachment 12402

Yes - I have the windshield kit you posted.

As for the deflectors, I actually was trying to bolt as few things to the bike as possible, and not spend an extra $150+ to overcome a design problem. Also, the "Lower" mounting bracket is different than the one in the stock picture above - it doesn't have provisions to bolt the lowers on. Also also, I'm not sure the deflectors would line up with the window bottom the same way it lines up with the bottom of the touring windshield. The Medium windshield for the Lower bracket style seems to be a slightly different shape than the Medium windshield for the Standard bracket style.

See:
IMG 5309 1

Yes - I have the windshield kit you posted.

As for the deflectors, I actually was trying to bolt as few things to the bike as possible, and not spend an extra $150+ to overcome a design problem. Also, the "Lower" mounting bracket is different than the one in the stock picture above - it doesn't have provisions to bolt the lowers on. Also also, I'm not sure the deflectors would line up with the window bottom the same way it lines up with the bottom of the touring windshield. The Medium windshield for the Lower bracket style seems to be a slightly different shape than the Medium windshield for the Standard bracket style.

Well, that sucks. The lower deflectors are really your best solution. The problem is not so much the windshield, but rather the air coming up up under it and around the tank. This creates a lot of turbulent air, as you know.

FYI, I have the OEM touring windshield with the lower deflectors on my California Custom (same color as yours). Last summer I took a ride out to Everett, WA. Thanks to the lower deflectors and Todd's riser spacers I was in smooth air and not stretching to reach the hand grips.

I have the fly screen on my Cali Custom. The fly screen reduces air resistance to a level that allows you to cruise at 85+ mph for extended periods. I experience minimum buffeting but, there is noise from the turbulence. I've done several 500+ mile days with this setup. It works for me. I like the shield, but it is not as quiet as riding the bike without a screen.

I tried a couple of larger screens before I purchased the fly screen. There are several threads in different forums talking about the buffeting issue. Different solutions have been recommended, from adding lowers to increasing the airflow on the backside of the windshield, by adding washers to increase the gap between the headlight and the shield. There's a science (or maybe a black art) to optimizing a windscreen for a specific bike and a particular rider. National Cycle has a lot to say about this topic in its windshield bible:

http://www.nationalcycle.com/bible-history-windshield

Net, net, the buffeting/turbulence issue is related to the transition region that exists between full protection by the screen and clear air. This region varies from screen to screen, and seems to be primarily affected by screen height, rider height and screen design. As an example, the sport screen on my Harley Roadster has a very narrow transition region, with very light turbulence, whereas the transition region on both of my Guzzis seems to be larger, with a great deal more turbulence. It's easy to tell where the changes occur by simply moving your hand up and down in front of you while you ride down the road at cruising speed. You'll feel the change from full protection, to turbulence to clear air.

I'm guessing Moto Guzzi must not do much wind tunnel testing with it's screens, as I have a big turbulence (noise) problem with the OEM screen on my V9 Roamer. On the recommendation of a friend I gave this a try:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-...-blade-bolt-on-and-clamp-on-hardware-included

That made a significant difference on my V9 shield, greatly reducing the turbulence. I think it has as much to do with changing the airflow as it does with changing the shield height. I was impressed enough with the effect that I clamped in on the Cali's fly screen to see if it would reduce the turbulence. It seems to help, but a nail in the Cali's rear tire has cut my testing short. The X-Screen may solve the problem on your current windshield.

On the subject of helmets - they do make a difference. For whatever reason my Shoei J-Cruise (open face) is quieter behind a screen than any of my full-face helmets.

Good Luck.

Good points about helmet and height. I had buffeting during initial rides, when I had my shorty helmet on. Switched to my Shoei full face and it's been bliss. Also, I'm positioned so I'm just looking over the screen usually, eyes maybe 3 inches over it. A taller person would have a different experience.

I have the fly screen on my Cali Custom. The fly screen reduces air resistance to a level that allows you to cruise at 85+ mph for extended periods. I experience minimum buffeting but, there is noise from the turbulence. I've done several 500+ mile days with this setup. It works for me. I like the shield, but it is not as quiet as riding the bike without a screen.

I tried a couple of larger screens before I purchased the fly screen. There are several threads in different forums talking about the buffeting issue. Different solutions have been recommended, from adding lowers to increasing the airflow on the backside of the windshield, by adding washers to increase the gap between the headlight and the shield. There's a science (or maybe a black art) to optimizing a windscreen for a specific bike and a particular rider. National Cycle has a lot to say about this topic in its windshield bible:

http://www.nationalcycle.com/bible-history-windshield

Net, net, the buffeting/turbulence issue is related to the transition region that exists between full protection by the screen and clear air. This region varies from screen to screen, and seems to be primarily affected by screen height, rider height and screen design. As an example, the sport screen on my Harley Roadster has a very narrow transition region, with very light turbulence, whereas the transition region on both of my Guzzis seems to be larger, with a great deal more turbulence. It's easy to tell where the changes occur by simply moving your hand up and down in front of you while you ride down the road at cruising speed. You'll feel the change from full protection, to turbulence to clear air.

I'm guessing Moto Guzzi must not do much wind tunnel testing with it's screens, as I have a big turbulence (noise) problem with the OEM screen on my V9 Roamer. On the recommendation of a friend I gave this a try:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-...-blade-bolt-on-and-clamp-on-hardware-included

That made a significant difference on my V9 shield, greatly reducing the turbulence. I think it has as much to do with changing the airflow as it does with changing the shield height. I was impressed enough with the effect that I clamped in on the Cali's fly screen to see if it would reduce the turbulence. It seems to help, but a nail in the Cali's rear tire has cut my testing short. The X-Screen may solve the problem on your current windshield.

On the subject of helmets - they do make a difference. For whatever reason my Shoei J-Cruise (open face) is quieter behind a screen than any of my full-face helmets.

Good Luck.
Have you had a chance to get out on the 1400 with that screen yet? would love to know how it works. Thanks Glenn

I have the California Touring and experienced buffeting with the stock windshield. I purchased the lower deflectors, which helped. I tried the washer thing, but I found the best solution (for me, this is so subjective) was to cut 1/2" off the bottom of the screen just above the headlight. This allows air to flow under and behind the screen. It joins the airflow going over the screen and creates a laminar flow that goes smoothly over my head. I am very happy with the results.

I bought my 2014 California with the MG fly screen and it works fine. I thought about a bigger windscreen, but after further evaluation I will keep the fly screen. In my opinion, it does a good job in what you are asking.

Back