• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7II 600 mile service

I'm very fortunate to have a local mechanic who is well-regarded and fluent in Guzzi who's more than happy to pick up my slack and collect his fee.
Mind stating who that is?
Oil threads spiral downwards fast, so either use the OEM AGIP recommendation, or a high-end synthetic 10w-60 or 10w-50. Wet clutch applications can be used, but not needed.

Paul from P & M in Petaluma, CA. He's been outstanding to work with in the past (other bikes). Was hoping to get a little more information than that regarding lubricant recommendations, but understand if you feel that it isn't appropriate. The AGIP/ENI 10w60 looks easy enough to come by, but the 75/90 and 85/140 appear to be a little bit more difficult to get ahold of here in the U.S. Just wondering if any particular alternative products are preferred by someone like you, who knows Guzzi inside and out. Thanks again.

...The AGIP/ENI 10w60 looks easy enough to come by, but the 75/90 and 85/140 appear to be a little bit more difficult to get ahold of here in the U.S. Just wondering if any particular alternative products are preferred by someone like you, who knows Guzzi inside and out. Thanks again.

AGIP has been ENI for many years now. All of the ENI products are available here in the US from many sellers on Ebay. I have purchased every single fluid and lubricant form distributors here in the USA for my Stelvio NTX. You use so little of the gear oil, that 1 bottle will last. For me, I have a home vacuum sealer, so I vacuum seal my open motor oil, gear oil, and brake fluid bottles with a much longer bag than is necessary, so when I cut off the end to use it, I can reseal the same bag again and again! I feel confident and comfortable using the exact specified oils.

In general, I agree with both the sentiment of using MG-specified fluids and being able to get them from US distributors, with one exception: The oil for the 6-sp V7II gearboxes, eni ROTRA LSX 75W-90, to the best of my knowledge isn't sold in the US in 1-L bottles. But, you can get it, as I did, on Ebay from a seller in Italy. It's expensive to ship, but I got enough for 240,000 km (2 liters) for a reasonable price, considering how long it will last. The similar oil that IS sold in the US is AGIP Gear Oil Gear Synth 75W-90. Both oils are rated API GL4 and GL5, but only the ROTRA oil is also rated MT-1, which is claimed to give greater seal life.

Last edited:
In general, I agree with both the sentiment of using MG-specified fluids and being able to get them from US distributors, with one exception: The oil for the 6-sp V7II gearboxes, eni ROTRA LSX 75W-90, to the best of my knowledge isn't sold in the US in 1-L bottles. But, you can get it, as I did, on Ebay from a seller in Italy. It's expensive to ship, but I got enough for 240,000 km (2 liters) for a reasonable price, considering how long it will last. The similar oil that IS sold in the US is AGIP Gear Oil Gear Synth 75W-90. Both oils are rated API GL4 and GL5, but only the ROTRA oil is also rated MT-1, which is claimed to give greater seal life.

Here are some information tables. The motorcycle products listed at the bottom are the same equivalents as the top listed, i.e. "top synthetic technology".

MT-1 is a bus and heavy-duty truck designation from API, so it will never appear on a motorcycle oil bottle.

All of the ENI motorcycle products are available in the USA and I use them in my 1200 Stelvio NTX, which has a much higher demand both in power and heat generated than a V7 or V9.

https://www.eni.com/en_BE/attachments/pdf/conversion-table-rotra-EN.pdf

http://www.oilspecifications.org/api_gos.php

Last edited:
Sorry, but the MT-1 designation DOES appear on the 1-L bottle of ROTRA LSX 75W-90, the MG-recommended oil for the V7II 6-sp gearbox.

You are misinterpreting what I have said.

Although the "MT-1" API designation appears on this 1L bottle...this is not ENI's Motorcycle products. It's their automotive products.

Agip eni rotra lsx 75w 90 gl4gl5 1 litr

ROTRA LSX, a Automotive / Heavy Truck product, not a motorcycle product, certainly may very well be listed in the Moto Guzzi users manual, but it is not designed for motorcycles.

ROTRA

Screen Shot 2017 05 15 at 25105 PM

In the information I provided before, the API designation "MT-1" is not a designation used on motorcycle products.

Screen Shot 2017 05 15 at 22612 PM

ENI's product line which was developed for motorcycles, specifically Moto Guzzi motorcycles, was their GEAR MG/S line.

Eni agip gear 85 90 30769

Screen Shot 2017 05 15 at 24229 PM

Nevertheless, if the manual calls for ROTRA LSX, then there you go, use that. It's all good. I noticed that the US ENI site lists the product with a contact number. Maybe they import it to the USA or Canada. Worth a toll-free phone call to find out.

https://www.eni.com/en_NA/attachments/pdf/i-sigma-brochure.pdf

You are misinterpreting what I have said.

Although the "MT-1" API designation appears on this 1L bottle...this is not ENI's Motorcycle products. It's their automotive products.

View attachment 12341

ROTRA LSX, a Automotive / Heavy Truck product, not a motorcycle product, certainly may very well be listed in the Moto Guzzi users manual, but it is not designed for motorcycles.

View attachment 12342

View attachment 12346

In the information I provided before, the API designation "MT-1" is not a designation used on motorcycle products.

View attachment 12345

ENI's product line which was developed for motorcycles, specifically Moto Guzzi motorcycles, was their GEAR MG/S line.

View attachment 12343

View attachment 12344

Nevertheless, if the manual calls for ROTRA LSX, then there you go, use that. It's all good. I noticed that the US ENI site lists the product with a contact number. Maybe they import it to the USA or Canada. Worth a toll-free phone call to find out.

https://www.eni.com/en_NA/attachments/pdf/i-sigma-brochure.pdf
Yes, I called them 2 years ago when I got my V7II Stone. Their answer was that it's imported to the US only in larger bottles (20 L, if I recall correctly), and they had no plans to import the 1-L bottles. I calculated that 20 L would last me 2,400,000 mi. I suppose I could go into business, rebottle the 20 L and sell 1-L bottles to MG owners here, but I have more enjoyable things to do with the time remaining to me.

Yes, I called them 2 years ago when I got my V7II Stone. Their answer was that it's imported to the US only in larger bottles (20 L, if I recall correctly), and they had no plans to import the 1-L bottles. I calculated that 20 L would last me 2,400,000 mi. I suppose I could go into business, rebottle the 20 L and sell 1-L bottles to MG owners here, but I have more enjoyable things to do with the time remaining to me.

Well Midnite, there you go. sib has the answer to the ROTRA LSX question. You have to order that from Europe. Thanks for the info sib! Good Luck Midnite!

Many thanks, Spumoni: appreciate the tip. Hope everything worked out with your bike. I now have the fluids, gaskets and a few oil filters, sourced from different vendors, as well as an appointment with my local mechanic for valve adjustment and head re-torque, because I haven't the stomach for those particular tasks quite yet. Getting ready for the 600 mile service adventure... and madly researching suspension upgrades. Truly enjoying the Guzzi experience thus far!

Because I've found this and many other threads so informative as I've been trying to wrap my head around how to understand my new V7ii, I thought I'd add another perspective regarding the 600 mile service, for what it's worth. I paid my local mechanic to do the valve check/adjust (intakes were tight) and cylinder head re-torque at just over 600 miles: $108. He tightened the exhaust headers as well, because he noticed they were loose. When I rode away from the shop, the bike was noticeably smoother. Money well-spent in my book.
Then, I tackled the fluid changes. I recovered a small amount of metal scrap from each of the magnetic drain plugs, which I suppose is common. The engine oil and gear box were straightforward, but the rear drive didn't go as smoothly as I'd hoped. I read elsewhere on the forum that you can simply inject 170 Ml of gear oil into the breather vent up top without bothering with the fill cap. When I tried this (with a large syringe), I found that the breather cap was quickly overwhelmed by the volume - even though I went slowly - and began spilling out. I waited for it to filter down into the rear drive case a few times, but ended up abandoning the method because it seemed so cumbersome. I ended up going with the recommended method of injecting the oil into the fill hole, which was much easier.

As Todd and others have noted, the engine seems to be happiest with about 1.6 Liters of oil. I put in 1.8 to begin with, and drained 140 Ml out after noticing that it was spewing oil out of one of the overflow hoses. Took it for a 60 mile spin today and was amazed at how much smoother the engine and shifting were. It's finally starting to feel like the bike I'd hoped it would be!

Mods: I did the GT ECU re-flash at around 200 miles, and despite some initial hiccups, it's made acceleration much smoother - particularly at low RPM, but across the board as well: highly recommended. I have some Race Tech shocks and springs on the way from the GT store as well, which should help sort out my last big problem with the v7ii. At 200 lbs, the suspension can be punishing - especially on the roads I prefer to ride around here in Sonoma and Marin counties (California).

Bottom line: REALLY appreciate the advice I've gleaned here on the forum and the products that Todd offers. I'd be lost without this resource!

Back