• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Final Drive Gear Oil Leaks V7 & V9

John, I hope you take some brake cleaner or alcohol and get that oil off the tire. Looks like things could get slippery when you least want it to.

Thanks Guys,
I took the wheel off and took the final drive off. I tightened down all of the bolts and changed the gear oil. Once I got everything back together I rode it for a few miles and it still leaked. I guess I'm heading to the dealer.....

My leak checking back in, the dealer fix lasted for a week. Wheel all oily today again, calling in on Monday to schedule another fix. So much about having a carefree new bike with a warranty and everything. Apparently, warranty doesn't do nothing against not being able to actually use the damn thing.

jkristjan - if i remember you live in the EU like myself - under EU consumer rights law you have to give the seller the opportunity to repair a defective vehicle - once - if that repair fails you have the choice to reject the vehicle and claim a full refund or give them a further attempt to repair and claim a substantial reduction in the purchase price.
if my first repair fails i shall give them a second chance - if that fails and the final drive still leaks i will reject the bike and have my money back.

John

jkristjan - if i remember you live in the EU like myself - under EU consumer rights law you have to give the seller the opportunity to repair a defective vehicle - once - if that repair fails you have the choice to reject the vehicle and claim a full refund or give them a further attempt to repair and claim a substantial reduction in the purchase price.
if my first repair fails i shall give them a second chance - if that fails and the final drive still leaks i will reject the bike and have my money back.

John

Yes I do live in the EU. What you say is very interesting, but can you help me with a relevant paragraph and title of the law? A quick research led me to my state's local information materials and they don't seem to highlight the "only one chance" aspect. It reads very vague: providing a fix is first preferred option, refund is second option if fix appears to be impossible. At the same time, there is no fixed time-frame for the fix and it does not specify what a "try" is and what does it take to deem a case "impossible to fix". They way I see it, the dealer can say they are still fixing it and no, it is not impossible to fix. In other words, it is not required that a fix be made with one visit to the shop, instead it can take them a year and 10 visits.

Anyway, coming back to the beginning, if you have some references, please shoot me with links or something.

EDIT: After some research, I think I found what you meant. It is Article 3 of the Directive 1999/44/EC and yes, my state has a valid transposition of that directive in effect. It is pretty good, but it still depends on soft terms like "reasonable time" and "significant inconvenience". The customer is pretty much in charge, but that does not mean a dealer cannot drag the customer through four levels of court before switching legal bodies and bailing out through a bankruptcy scam.

Reference: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:31999L0044

Last edited:
You've got it 'European Directive 1999/44/EC'. My wife and myself have used it in the past and it does make people jump.
The repairs to my final drive are holding up after 300 more miles - no leaks - hope your fix turns out well on Monday.

John

Still at the dealer if Buffalo NY.... 2.5hrs from my home. Only dealer around and they are super busy so I don't imagine that I'll see if for another week or so.

All,
I am the owner of a 2015 V7 Stone which I purchased used with 6600 miles. I am just over 7000 miles and have developed what appears to be gear oil leaking from the back end, resulting in oil sprayed all over the rear wheel/tire (see picture).

First, any ideas what is happening here?

Second, how difficult is this repair? I have no local guzzi dealer here in KY and will be relying on local motorcycle mechanics. I am not afraid to do the repair myself, but if it's best left to the mechanic, I have no problem procuring their service.

She's sidelined for now as I don't want to damage anything, but want to get her back on the road asap.

Appreciate any / all the help.

Attachments

• guzzi3.jpg
    guzzi3.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 48
Hi, you could easy check the oil level in the final drive to make sure it is not over filled and check the breather at the top of the final drive to make sure it is clear. Steve.

Guzzinick - hope your repair shop can fix your final drive leak - most of the leaks that I've read about on this and other moto guzzi forums have been repaired under warranty.
i would like to hear from anyone who has had the repair performed out of warranty and what was entailed - any special tools required - the repair kit looks more than just an 'o' ring seal.
i think there should be a recall cause this issue is more than just a few isolated cases - i see Harley-Davidson are recalling over 40thousand bikes for a minor oil leak from a tube clamp - why not our bikes?

IMG 2121

Guzzinick - hope your repair shop can fix your final drive leak - most of the leaks that I've read about on this and other moto guzzi forums have been repaired under warranty.
i would like to hear from anyone who has had the repair performed out of warranty and what was entailed - any special tools required - the repair kit looks more than just an 'o' ring seal.
i think there should be a recall cause this issue is more than just a few isolated cases - i see Harley-Davidson are recalling over 40thousand bikes for a minor oil leak from a tube clamp - why not our bikes?

View attachment 12602

My V7 Is out of warranty and I hope to hear back this week about the repair (at a dealer). I'll keep you posted on the results. Fingers are crossed!

Thanks Dave - looking forward to hearing what the repair entailed - i want to be able to fix this issue should it happen a second time.

Hi all

I fear I may have a leak from my final drive.

I went for a spin and noticed oil on my tires. Cleaned it off and parked the bike. Went for another spin (about 1hr long) and the below is pic I snapped as I parked her.

Now, I was told it could be the vent on top from overfilling but after wiping it down, parking the bike and leaving it for 2 days, I inspected the same spot and there was a little bit of oil there. No dripping but a little had formed in the same area as the pic. So I assume it cant be the vent since more oil formed and the vent is clean?

Just wanted to ask what your thoughts. I purchased it used with 3k miles and it still should have warranty as it’s a 2016. Dealer is about 1.5hrs from me so hoping its something I can fix...although i'm not very mechanically inclined.

Thoughts?

IMG 20170604 165041 1920x1080

IMG 20170604 165001 1920x1080

Did you use compressed air to clean the vent? As long as the bike is under warranty and you state you're not mechanically inclined it is very much worth the visit to the dealer. Have them install the latest fuel map while your there.

Did you use compressed air to clean the vent? As long as the bike is under warranty and you state you're not mechanically inclined it is very much worth the visit to the dealer. Have them install the latest fuel map while your there.

Thanks and will do.

I have Todd's slip ons, any idea if the fuel map works well with them?

If you had Todd do a reflash then no I wouldn't get another. I see you have a 2016 bike, so there may or may not be a new stock map but it may not help with different exhaust anyway.

If you had Todd do a reflash then no I wouldn't get another. I see you have a 2016 bike, so there may or may not be a new stock map but it may not help with different exhaust anyway.

The previous owner did get the reflash tool (and I assume a new map) from Todd, but he did this with cheap Emgo pipes so I assume its safe to say its out of whack.

With a question like that I would email Todd direct and ask him. Since it appears it has his map on it. Did the previous owner give you the reflash tool? If so it's easy to get a map emailed to you from Todd if needed.

Back