• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Guzzi news posted at Cycle World

Thanks for the post... and I'd say. I still have two. Now that the plug has been pulled, the interest will go WAY up. I often say it's one of the best Guzzis ever built... and by far one of my all-time favorites.
Below is the most interesting part of the post. Curious to see what gets uncovered. I'll try to sit down with Galluzzi and see what he'll let go of.

CW: Last year we tested the V7 II Stornello, a light enduro model based on the V7 chassis and that was fun. Then the V7 evolved into the new “hemi head” V9 which is euro 4 homologated, more powerful and with extra torque. Can we expect a V9 Stornello?
DZ: At Moto Guzzi they are hard at work on a totally new engine, very advanced, a radical evolution compared to the present V7, V9 and V1400 units. It is due to complete this range of units and I will not say more at this date. We expect to be able to introduce some radical Moto Guzzi novelty at EICMA 2017, though at its concept stage.

What a shame. To bad Moto Guzzi could not learn from BMW's success with the GS platform for the last 37 years and still going strong! (Yes, you read that right, the first R80GS was made in 1980!)

I think the only reason sales of the 1200 8V engine bikes were disappointing for PIaggio, was due to their terrible handling of the tappet failure / rollerization problems. That fiasco sure left a bad taste in peoples mouths and unnecessarily scared new potential Guzzisti away from the marque.

As to a totally new engine, I smell impending disaster here in that I believe that the company is going to abandon the 90 degree transverse mounted V twin. If they do, I seriously doubt that I would buy a inline 4 or triple from Moto Guzzi. Why would I when so many other manufacturers have been successfully building that configuration for years. If they modify the current V into a water cooled version, I'll have to wait and see how it performs, but I just don't have super high hopes but I wish that I did!

I feared that Piaggio would eventually destroy Moto Guzzi, and I'm not so sure that they still won't. In the grand scheme of Piaggio's business holdings, Moto Guzzi is really nothing much at all to them and everybody at Piaggio seems to treat Moto Guzzi as the Red Headed Bastard Stepchild. Case in point, in the article, Davide Zanolini, Piaggio Executive Vice-President for Marketing and Communication states that a Stelvio was originally available in a 2 valve per cylinder configuration. :mad: :banghead: Say what? He's a VP and doesn't even know his own product!

It's truly sad to watch.

Last edited:
I don't think you have to worry about them giving up the air/oil cooled transverse V's anytime soon. They are compliant and the 1400 seems to perform well for the segment. Still it's always going to be a niche so I think a break with something completely different makes sense. Especially from the performance and weight aspect. If your a MG lover then the first thing is always the survival of the brand and that may depend upon growth. For all sorts of reasons the venerable V's simply can't compete in the market. Witness the 7000 total Stelvios!

I don't think you have to worry about them giving up the air/oil cooled transverse V's anytime soon.
I'm reading that they are working on a 1000~1200 replacement, likely liquid cooled is my guess.

I don't think you have to worry about them giving up the air/oil cooled transverse V's anytime soon. They are compliant and the 1400 seems to perform well for the segment. Still it's always going to be a niche so I think a break with something completely different makes sense. Especially from the performance and weight aspect. If your a MG lover then the first thing is always the survival of the brand and that may depend upon growth. For all sorts of reasons the venerable V's simply can't compete in the market. Witness the 7000 total Stelvios!

BMW proves different. They keep the loyalist happy by continuing the flat twin & have made it meet the new standards. Piaggio has no real interest in the MG line. They are bean counters from everything I have read & been told by employees with MG. They have lousy dealer network & support & advertising and promotion of the brand is dismal at best. As much as I hate to say it, I will be surprised if the brand survives under them.

. . . the venerable V's simply can't compete in the market. Witness the 7000 total Stelvios!
OK, only 7000 Stelvios, but how many Grisos, Norges, 1200 Sports, and any other models that use the same Engine/Gearbox/Swing-Arm/Final-Drive?

What a shame. To bad Moto Guzzi could not learn from BMW's success with the GS platform for the last 37 years and still going strong! (Yes, you read that right, the first R80GS was made in 1980!)
I feared that Piaggio would eventually destroy Moto Guzzi, and I'm not so sure that they still won't........
It's truly sad to watch.

Moto Guzzi was self destructing long before they were saved by Aprilia then Piaggio.

Paul

Moto Guzzi was self destructing long before they were saved by Aprilia then Piaggio.

Paul

Obviously, we disagree which is ok.

I believe that Moto Guzzi had just been reborn and soared under the leadership of Alejandro de Tomaso and design by Lino Tonti, when then Aprila had them for 4 short disastrous years. Then Piaggio acquired them by default when they swallowed Aprilia. In my opinion I feel that in the grand scheme of their business, Piaggio pays little attention to Moto Guzzi, except to apply the Vespa product philosophy model whereby they continually re-promote the V7 and now V9 (same thing really) and the 1400 platforms in flavor after flavor. It very much reminds me of BMW's disastrous follie with the R1200C platform.

Now that Piaggio is putting forth the demise of the 1200 8V engine, where is the rider's motorcycle? I want to know where is my next Moto Guzzi love affair!

Certainly not the less than 41 rear wheel horsepower V7, or the equally anemic 45 rear wheel horsepower V9. Don't get me wrong, both are lovely motorcycles, but neither will ever quicken my pulse and neither will the 1400. Originally I wanted an Eldorado so bad I could hardly stand it, then I saw one, ugly tank, worst cheap ass emblem ever made, plastic fenders that shake like a wet dog, cracking exhausts galore, plastic-plastic-plastic, and on and on. Like I said, the Vespa school of marketing and construction.

So yes, to me, Piaggio is killing Moto Guzzi. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Obviously, we disagree which is ok.
I agree on both of the above......:giggle:

In 1967 when MG was in receivership and effectively bought out by the Italian government. It seems to me that since then they've remain challenged to remain a viable, sustainable business. Dealers come and go, support for Mandello and NA Guzzi either sux or is non-existent. it's a matter of perspective. In my area I'm aware of 3 dealer that have come and gone in the last 10 years, the one remaining dealer will likely drop MG before YE(from his mouth). I wonder how long Piaggio will keep MG on life support. Many dealers have leftover '15/'16 left over models, even though they're advertised at deep discounts, and are not stocking '17 models.

I wonder if the Italian government has the money to bail them out once again when Paggio kicks them overboard. Just MG they should have been put out of their misery in 1967 and allowed to go away peacefully.

Paul

It's a funny thing but I've often compared Guzzi to Victory since I added Vic to my stable almost 3 years ago.

Both of these brands are reliable, fun to ride in their own right, easy to maintain & are long life machines.
Their owners are pretty loyal while freely admitting the various faults & quirks that come with ownership.

I have been surprised by how many Vic owners are former Guzzi owners who still speak fondly & well of Guzzi's.

Both Guzzi & Vic have fallen down on customer service, have refused to acknowledge or address needed recalls, have allowed poor dealers to add to the negative vibe of the brand & each year have offered the same bikes with different paint.

Piaggio please take notice: Polaris has closed Victory.

Piaggio please take notice: Polaris has closed Victory.
But please note, this is for the simple reason that sales from (Polaris) Indian made this a painfully obvious reason for them to do so.

Well, I know that if I ever win that gigantic Powerball someday, you can bet I know who the next owner of Moto Guzzi will be! ;)

Back