• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Charging issues / Dead battery -- PLEASE READ

on the 15 I didn't remove the tank. as I recall just slid it back a bit.

yup, you are correct - tank slides back a few inches. Quick note, I found that the spark plug wires need adjusting - I actually wrapped one of my wires as they rub against the bottom of the tank and rubs the paint off. Worth taking a look if you all have the chance.

I just thought I would add to this. I had originally posted a pic (somewhere in here) that mine read fine a year back. Right at 14.4. Six months later needed a new battery, Three more months and needed another............WTF............My regulator is not charging at all is what was diagnosed. My shop has my bike. Replacement regulator #1 was reading 15.4. I suggested the one many used from roadstercycle. They said to me have another one on the way. That new one when arrived registered 15.6. I sent them one to install this AM. Like the plug caps, I waited till I had an issue rather than proactively replacing. urgh.

Yes, always best to do yourself. However, any issue with leaving this way till I get time?
The connectors SHOULD be weatherproof and sealed. But do you believe that?

I don't see the harm short term, but it would probably be wise to rectify it sooner than later.

Yeah....I knew I needed to find time to do myself....just been so busy this spring. He thought was doing a favor due to the cover being so close. :(

Last edited:
I checked my 2015 5 speed for this issue at 72 miles, the highest I was reading even at 3k rpm was very close to 14.4. I will check again around the first service interval to see if the issue pops up.

Just picked up my bike from having the VR installed.

Had the mount that @Stradagene kindly put up for us fabricated at a local shop, powder coated black also.
Bought the replacement VR from here
Took it down to the motorbike electronic shop and he fitted it for me.
He told me it was spiking at 16.0v at 3000rpm, now it is sitting around 14.0v.
I am currently on my third battery and just crossed 30,000kms and I am glad nothing more serious has happened so far!

Thanks Todd and the Guzzitech community for helping me sort this issue out!

Attachments

• P6060053.jpg
    P6060053.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 64
  • P6060054.jpg
    P6060054.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 63
  • P6060055.jpg
    P6060055.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 64
Just a final follow-up. First photo is the dealers work. The second from the roadstercycle kit and the third courtesy of TonUp and Wisconsin Racer. Thx guys for your help. Finally happy and although the photo isn't great the wires are about 1.5" off the cover.

Harley. Nice job with yours. Liked the look of you painted plate and went the same way.

Attachments

• IMG_6750.JPG
    IMG_6750.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6888.JPG
    IMG_6888.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6906.JPG
    IMG_6906.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 64
Well, my wife's VR on her 2014 V7 Special needs to be replaced and did some checking with Jack Flemming on his VR replacement kit (based on a referral in an earlier post here). The kit is for the single phase alternator supposedly used by these bikes and requires minimal wiring changes. He says it only uses two wires to hook up from the OEM harness, and then uses a new harness( in the kit) from the VR that runs directly to the battery. If correct, this would be a much simpler fix wiring wise.

I'd like to confirm our OEM system is a single phase as I reviewed this thread and didn't see a reference to this, but maybe missed it. Also, has anybody here used his kit FH020AA.

The FH020AA (made by Shindengen) regulator/rectifier at roadstercycle.com. Shindengen are the main (or so it seems) Japanese rec/reg manufacturers. Their products are top quality. Whichever way you go with an aftermarket r/r, make sure you go straight for a MOSFET type of r/r. I have routinely swapped mine on bikes for quite some years now. I've never had a bike with MOSFET r/r standard, but some Jap bike do come with them. I have a Shindengen FH020AA on the shelf now, ready to go on my V7iii. I have fitted one on my DR650 already.

If you visit roadstercycle.com you'll see that you can buy kits in various stages of completeness. You WILL need new plugs and some wire. I buy their "Complete Mosfet Kit FH020AA DIY crimp or solder kit!". You can make it fit pretty much any bike.

Btw, take their hint: Wire the output from your new r/r directly to your battery (via the supplied cct breaker). Don't use the existing wiring for the output.

Last edited:
Back