• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Eldorado Passenger Back Rest Info - READ IF INTERESTED!

OK, so with special thanks to @Harry H - I have an Eldo in the shop now.
At quick glance today, I think I can offer two options;
1. Easily removable backrest (only) for the stock grab rail. You might have to drill two small holes (in an unnoticeable location) on the stock mounting brackets, and it would have two thumbwheel screws (also fairly hidden.) Target price would be ~$300-350.
2. All new rack to completely replace the stock rail (and under seat bracket), which would be similar to the one below including the backrest and rack beyond. Target price would be ~$500-550.

Yes the cost is on the high side, but know I will only sell a couple of these, and my R&D time is VERY limited these days for projects like this, so post below if you'd be willing to put down a 50% deposit on either to see a prototype.

img_9250-jpg.11243

img_9251-jpg.11256

Count me in for option 2. Just make sure it fits into the beautiful styling of the bike. The one in the photo looks great!

OK, so with special thanks to @Harry H - I have an Eldo in the shop now.
At quick glance today, I think I can offer two options;
1. Easily removable backrest (only) for the stock grab rail. You might have to drill two small holes (in an unnoticeable location) on the stock mounting brackets, and it would have two thumbwheel screws (also fairly hidden.) Target price would be ~$300-350.
2. All new rack to completely replace the stock rail (and under seat bracket), which would be similar to the one below including the backrest and rack beyond. Target price would be ~$500-550.

Yes the cost is on the high side, but know I will only sell a couple of these, and my R&D time is VERY limited these days for projects like this, so post below if you'd be willing to put down a 50% deposit on either to see a prototype.

img_9250-jpg.11243

img_9251-jpg.11256

Count me in for option 2.
OK, so in skimming all of the posts, it seems like the majority would like a rear rack/backrest replacement. Other comments?
I will work on the rack/backrest combo first then.

Like I said in our emails, I would go for the rack/backrest that I could change out when wanted. I'm sure it's only a couple of bolts to change it over and the rack is a big plus. Thanks Todd

I'd prefer safety over ease, option 2, a whole assy that uses the same mounting holes on the frame under the seat.
I'm thinking the whole Cali1400 line uses the same mounts? IDK
Only interested in the Calif1400 Touring/Custom if not same mounts.

Last edited:
I'd prefer safety over ease, option 2, a whole assy that uses the same mounting holes on the frame under the seat. I'm thinking the whole Cali1400 line uses the same mounts? IDK Only interested in the Calif1400 Touring/Custom if not same mounts.
OK, thanks for posting. Can someone post pics of the mounting points on the 1400 Custom or Tour rack? It's been awhile since I've seen one. The Eldo14 grab rail bolts on under the back edge of the rider seat, and has a flat plate/rack that the rear seat bolts to, that has a center bolt that holds the grab rail... top center of the fender.

OK, thanks for posting. Can someone post pics of the mounting points on the 1400 Custom or Tour rack? It's been awhile since I've seen one. The Eldo14 grab rail bolts on under the back edge of the rider seat, and has a flat plate/rack that the rear seat bolts to, that has a center bolt that holds the grab rail... top center of the fender.

Hi todd, I've fitted the Cali tour rack to the Eldorado and both the Eldo grab rail and Cali rack use the same three mounting points under the seat if that is any help.

Rack 4 Rack 3

Hi todd, I've fitted the Cali tour rack to the Eldorado and both the Eldo grab rail and Cali rack use the same three mounting points under the seat if that is any help.
Much help, thanks John.

Thanks to a note from Harry... it turns out they do make/offer a Guzzi OEM rear rack for the Eldo (~$600 + shipping from Europe) shown below, but no backrest option. I should be able to come in under that number with a backrest. Question is, do I make it removable or not... and if yes, it will add to the cost of course. Thoughts/comments?

EldoRearRack

Some pics of the MG Cali Touring grab rail/luggage rack on my Cali Custom. Just in case you, Todd, are considering making a detachable back rest too.

Having discovered that a spouse riding pillion, without a back rest, seriously interferes with one's natural inclination to take full advantage of the GT-Rx fuel mod upgrades. I'd be interested in a detachable backrest.

BottomUp LeftSide ReferenceShot RightSide TopDown

Much help, thanks John.

Thanks to a note from Harry... it turns out they do make/offer a Guzzi OEM rear rack for the Eldo (~$600 + shipping from Europe) shown below, but no backrest option. I should be able to come in under that number with a backrest. Question is, do I make it removable or not... and if yes, it will add to the cost of course. Thoughts/comments?

View attachment 12648
I think it should be a replacement for the original grab rail/seat base. It's only a small effort to swap them out, and keeps the original piece intact for use. I hate to modify something that is easily unbolted.

A rack with a removable back rest will be an ideal option. The assembly should be a replacement for the original seat frame. The new design can incorporate good support for the back rest and rack. Just so that the lines of the Eldo are not seriously disturbed the luggage rack should extend not more than 8 inches from the grab rail. This will ensure good lines even with the back rest removed.

SO, now that I've read from left to right, Todd, whatever you design, count me in up to $500 with backrest pad. I'd rather have a bar that replaces original passenger rails, but either way you go I'm in. I don't want to replace the seat.
All the best,
Tom

Well so much for not replacing the seat. I've found I can't do more than 150 miles without discomfort. I'm searching for a seat for now, so I'll hold off on the offer to buy in for the rack until I've figured out what to do seat-wise. Thank you.

Count me in. I've just purchased a 2016 Eldorado leftover and I want some way for my wife to be comfortable. I would prefer a backrest only using the the current mounting system. But I will settle for another configuration.

Thanks all, the project is taking longer than I had hoped... and Harry (ever so graciously loaned me his bike for ~2 weeks), and we almost got the mock-up done, but I need another bike for a few days to complete the placement. I had the passenger seat plate water-jetted to match the existing set up. For those not using the stock Eldo pass seat, there are other options for racks and backrests on this site, i.e.; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/hepco-becker-sissybar-rack-moto-guzzi-california-1400/

Count me in. I've just purchased a 2016 Eldorado leftover and I want some way for my wife to be comfortable. I would prefer a backrest only using the the current mounting system. But I will settle for another configuration.
Congrats on the Eldo purchase. Hope you'll add your info to the Registry thread HERE.
It's looking like, for now, I will be building a full replacement of the grab rail with a version with removable back rest and rear rack, using the stock passenger seat pad.

Todd, if you can't find another bike, I could ride up and hang out for a couple of hours while you work on the seat. On a different note, was with the guys this morning and Miguel had a GuzziTech shirt on : )

Well so much for not replacing the seat. I've found I can't do more than 150 miles without discomfort. I'm searching for a seat for now, so I'll hold off on the offer to buy in for the rack until I've figured out what to do seat-wise. Thank you.

You could try an Airhowk cushion, it's a much cheaper fix than buying a new seat and I find it works really well, I've always had a sore arse after riding a couple of hundred kms but now I can go all day..... .
http://www.airhawk.com.au

Hi John, yes I have an Airhawk, thanks for the post. I usually use it to give me a different feel after hours of seat time, but they are a great product. If anyone has seat suggestions let me know please. I'm 5'7", 29 " inseam. So far all I see is Corbin, but still looking. I would love to replace the solo rider seat and just keep the rear as is. I mainly solo ride. I wish Corbin made that too.
Tom

Hi John, yes I have an Airhawk, thanks for the post. I usually use it to give me a different feel after hours of seat time, but they are a great product. If anyone has seat suggestions let me know please. I'm 5'7", 29 " inseam. So far all I see is Corbin, but still looking. I would love to replace the solo rider seat and just keep the rear as is. I mainly solo ride. I wish Corbin made that too.
Tom

How about this one? af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=77670

Todd, if you can't find another bike, I could ride up and hang out for a couple of hours while you work on the seat. On a different note, was with the guys this morning and Miguel had a GuzziTech shirt on : )
I want to thank Harry & Todd for your investment in this project. I'm sure I speak for everybody watching this thread when I say we are all patiently (and anxiously) waiting for the end result. Keep at it, guys. I'd love to offer my bike up for the process, but it's a long trip from Pittsburgh. Someday, I hope to do a ride like that.

Back