• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Wanting a Griso

heyzeus

Tuned and Synch'ed
So my best friend wants a Griso. He has decided to trade in some of his bikes and get one. He found a nice used one with Arrow full system and a Rapid bike ecu. The problem is that under 4000rpm it runs like crap. The dealer says that is just the way it is. This just pissed him off. We drove two hours away to ride a stock Griso. He said the stock one had some fueling issues that need tuning but it was passable. It proved to him the other dealer was full of caca. He is going back to the original dealer and going to talk to them about tuning the Griso they have there.

How good is the Rapid bike set up? My buddy complained about the low speed fueling. Below 4000rpm the bike was surging and almost jerky. We like the dealer but are unhappy with the this is just how they are commit.

I'm sure the bike you are talking about is the one at GP Motorcycles. Paul Lima, the owner, is definitely not full of caca and is one of the most competent mechanics I have ever known and a FIRST CLASS guy. I've known him for over 20 years and have purchased MANY motorcycles from him.

Granted, the Griso, like other 1200 Guzzis, has factory fueling issues. However, the Rapid ecu is obviously not the answer.

Todd Eagan, (GT-Rx) here at this site, has devoted many years of his life to researching and developing fueling systems for Moto Guzzi motorcycles. Many of us here have his fueling modification setup which he sells in the STORE listed above.

I would see if the original ECU for the bike is available and comes with the bike if you purchase it. Then I would put Todd's full setup on it and let him help you get it dialed in.

I have his setup on my Stelvio NTX and it is nothing short of miraculous compared to the stock system.

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/a-new-true-believer.16873/

He did everything over the internet with most of us that don't live in Southern California, but you live within a hop-skip-and jump of him in person.

When it comes to Guzzi fueling specialization, Todd is the Guzzi God! Trust us that have it. Look on the site here and you will find owner after owner who says the same thing.

Good Luck!

Actually I love GP and Paul, and was not calling them out. I did not name them as the offending dealer. Sales people say funny things to customers to get a sale and are often full of caca. The saleperson said it was normal not Anyone else that I know of. I have never seen a sale won by saying that is just how they run. All you do is turn a potential customer off from a wonderful marquee. Bring up solutions not obstacles. I love Guzzi and there is always a solution. I like the sales guy too but what you say to a customer can sell or turn off a customer. You can't win them all. I did not name the dealers nor would I want to throw shade on GP. There is a fueling issue and riding the stock bike proved it. All I wanted is a proven solution other then that is just how they run. Never tell a customer that. Especially one ready to purchase a bike from you. I love GP, if that was the dealer, but even a pain in the ass customer is right sometimes. The bike in question is a good deal but it needs some sorting more then a stock one. Riding a stock Griso proved that. I posted this not to bash one of my favorite dealers or there excellent employees.

I posted this for the second part of your answer. A solution. I too have advised my friend to talk to Todd and take his possible future bike to him to have it fixed. My buddy wants a Griso and I want him to get one. So thank you for the second portion of your answer.

Even great dealers say the wrong thing to customers. I do not expect perfection. I appreciate there are forums were you can get answers to problems. I did not have a bad experience with my local dealer. Just a bad answer to a question. It happens.

Last edited:
I inquired about the same Griso a few weeks ago, and being on the other side of the country is not a plus. I asked about what had been done along with the full Arrow exhaust for proper fueling. The email I received said " The bike runs really well and has had the appropriate measures done to make it right. We have sold Guzzi’s for many many years and I can promise you that it runs great and is not too lean."

I forwarded a friend the reply, and he said "Too vague, probably doesn't run very well at all. Stay away."

I was getting ready to press for more information, but I'm not too sure anymore. :(

Funny, I too, being a San Diego native until 15 years ago, and a long time customer of many motorcycles from them, keep a constant eye on GP Motorcycles website for used motorcycles. I had looked at that Griso several times as a potential fly out, grab it, run to Todd with it, and then ride it home to Ohio. Still considering it.

It was because I follow all of the used Guzzi inventory listed on Cycle Trader that I knew about that Griso with an Arrow exhaust. The fact that heyzeus lists San Diego as his location, simply confirmed it.

Part of the problem I am sure is that in the past,Paul was persecuted by the CARB (California Air Resource Board) over an exhaust/fueling/not legal for sale in California kind of bullshit. They fined him very heavily. GP may simply be avoiding stepping into another land mine field over this bike with a non-standard ECU which I am pretty sure they had nothing to do with. The profit to risk ratio always has to be considered by a dealership. I've also known Mike Lynch for 20+ years and that doesn't sound like Mike, but I don't know the young sales guy.

To me, the price is good but the stock ECU is the deal make or break point for me. If I have the stock ECU, then I can implement Todd's excellent fuel system (for off road use only, of course) to make her run like a banshee.

GP believes the bike runs fine. They know Guzzi's. My buddy has been riding for thirty years and knows bad fueling when he sees it. I think with Todds help the bike will be just fine. It is set up nice. No GP did not do the work to the bike as far as I know. The previous owner is the kinda guy you want to buy a bike from. He puts money into the bike and rarely rides it then sells it. The bike is clean. My friend is peculiar when it comes to the bikes he buys. It is a good buy. It just needs some fueling tweeks. I am told he threw the old stuff out. There might be the stock ecu though. The other bummer is the Corbin seat. It is a love hate kinda of seat. I hate the Corbin seats on most bikes. The exhaust is awesome though. Sounds good. My buddy is still debating this bike as well. The bike runs good on the big end. It is under 4000rpm where the bike is off. It is a noticeably worse then stock.

Last edited:
To me, the price is good but the stock ECU is the deal make or break point for me. If I have the stock ECU, then I can implement Todd's excellent fuel system (for off road use only, of course) to make her run like a banshee.

As far as I can tell, Rapid Bike leave the ECU with stock mapping, and get around the lambda influence somehow. . It is simple enough to reflash back to the Stock Map anyhow, but no need if taking it to Todd for the Guzzitech treatment.

I have a friend who swears by the RapidBike stuff, and as far as I know, it is a piggyback system.

I too thought that the email response I received might have been influenced by the legalities of some injection/fuel system modification worries.
In my case, I was not communicating with a Mike or Paul.

I do have a Corbin (custom +1" height) on my 2016 Multistrada S, and I have no complaints. Between the full Arrow, and the Corbin, I was pretty close to doing something also.

I did some checking around and the configuration should be like this, which means that the stock ECU is still intact and the RapidBike stuff can be removed relatively easily.

It would be worthwhile to have GP just disconnect the λ sensor from the RapidBike and connect it directly back to the stock ECU, thereby bypassing the whole RapidBike stuff, to see how the Grass runs in stock form. With the Arrow system, I am sure it will be very lean indeed but Todd's setup could easily fix that.

However, when you compare what the RapidBike system claims to be doing, versus the PC-IV and Autotune with Wideband λ Sensor replacement, I cannot see how the two could even remotely be compared to each other.

I know that Todd's system WORKS. I know that Todd provides excellent Customer Support on his setup. I know that he has invested tons of hours of work developing each setup for each of the Moto Guzzi bikes, and has personally dyno'd and field tested each setup.

That was good enough for me and I'm glad I made the leap of faith!

I will have to seriously consider this Griso again...

Screen Shot 2017 06 19 at 21142 PM

I have a '13 Griso with Todds exhaust & fuel mods: Smooth from idle to red line.

Just after 4500 rpm she hits a power band that carries you up to 6000 then the she scoots again.

Kinda reminds me of when I was running a small block chevy with dual quads & progressive linkage.........

I have no doubt in Todd's ability to get any Guzzi to run right.

I'm still trying to get a chance to sit test a Griso ! I had a knee replacement six months ago, and I'm pretty unhappy with the results to date. I need to know if I can manage to ride one without too much pain before I worry about fueling. :(

I have no doubt in Todd's ability to get any Guzzi to run right.

I'm still trying to get a chance to sit test a Griso ! I had a knee replacement six months ago, and I'm pretty unhappy with the results to date. I need to know if I can manage to ride one without too much pain before I worry about fueling. :(

What are you riding now? I have really bad knees too and that is why I have a Stelvio (which is supremely comfortable for me all day), however I obtained a 1997 V10 Centauro last year and I am slowly getting used to the riding position again, which is also why I even considered a Griso as a possibility.

Sounds like we are in the same boat brother!

Same first name too. :)

I have several bikes, but my main bike is the 2016 Ducati Multistrada S with a +1 Corbin. It's about 21" seat to peg height. If I ride ball-of-the-foot on the peg, it is tight but doable. I can't even sit on some bikes(mostly full sport) at all, and on others there is quite a bit of pain just to get onto position. The left knee just does not have enough range of motion, so I fear the idea of a Griso might just remain an idea. :(

If it is a close fit, I'd probably do a taller seat and 1" drop pegs.

Same first name too. :)

I have several bikes, but my main bike is the 2016 Ducati Multistrada S with a +1 Corbin. It's about 21" seat to peg height. If I ride ball-of-the-foot on the peg, it is tight but doable. I can't even sit on some bikes(mostly full sport) at all, and on others there is quite a bit of pain just to get onto position. The left knee just does not have enough range of motion, so I fear the idea of a Griso might just remain an idea. :(

If it is a close fit, I'd probably do a taller seat and 1" drop pegs.

Where are you in FL?
I'm in Gainesville: come up on your Duc & we can swap bikes. If you want to really ride it for some distance we can make a day out of it & I'll put you on to some curves so you can really see what the Griso does.
I will tell you in advance that I have clip ons & stock height pegs.

Trout - I saw that you are in Gainesville. I might take you up on your offer, for at least a fit check. I should be passing through Gainesville in a couple weeks on my way to NC for the 4th of July week. I have a place in Robbinsville, and I always ride up for that week. I don't have any day set yet, but I'll let you know if something works out. I live in Martin county - about 1/2 hour north of Palm Beach.

Of course, I haven't done that ride since the knee replacement, so it may be a different trip than I am used to.

Trout - I saw that you are in Gainesville. I might take you up on your offer, for at least a fit check. I should be passing through Gainesville in a couple weeks on my way to NC for the 4th of July week. I have a place in Robbinsville, and I always ride up for that week. I don't have any day set yet, but I'll let you know if something works out. I live in Martin county - about 1/2 hour north of Palm Beach.

Of course, I haven't done that ride since the knee replacement, so it may be a different trip than I am used to.

Cool.
Sunday & Monday are free days for me 'cause the store is closed.
If you just want to sit on Grizz &/or go for a short "in city ride" then any day is good but let me know in advance so I ride her to work.
Store hours, location etc: OtterTrout.com

Trout, Nothing is set in stone at this point, but most likely I'll be passing through Gainesville on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday next week. I'll let you know, and thanks.

I still have my 1998 900 SS FE. I cannot ride it past 30 miles. I have had two multistrada's. Great bikes. I messed up my pelvis pretty bad a few years ago. I now ride a California and a Audace. They are very comfortable for me. My sporty days are over. Tall bikes are out for me but I still ride. Advice, don't hit a truck head on.

Im sure I saw that bike on CL before it turned up at GP. I didn't like the cheap kinda look of the exhaust headers although I'm sure they were very expensive and wondered about the fueling. I bought two Guzzi's within 3 years from GP and they seem to know their stuff.

Back