• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

First and second gear are FUBAR

bobreiter1

Just got it firing!
Hi all,
My first time on a forum, not sure if this is the way to go about it.
I dropped my 2016 Stelvio NTX on a goat path at 2 KM/hour, but it came down pretty hard. The gear shifter hit the ground and somehow jammed or broke something. As a result, I can no longer get the bike into first or second gear, but third, fourth and fifth all seem to be okay. I've taken the linkage off and it just will not go into first or second. Engine runs fine, if I start in third, bike has no problems shifting once I get up to speed. I suspect I may of bent or busted a fork or something inside the transmission, just don't known. Can I pull the transmission without removing the engine, can I take the transmission apart while it is still connected to the engine ... Does anybody have any idea how to approach this problem, only one shop in town here that works on guzzi and I would rather push my bike around the streets than go to them.
Thanks.

Sorry about the incident, Bob. I had something similar with my old Sportster but cleaned my hands of it before I got in there. I wish you and your wallet the best.

Bummer. Motor and trans must come out to get to the gears and related. If you upgrade your account >HERE< - you can get to the Downloads (tab above), and grab the service manual that will walk you through the process.

It is hard to imagine that the shifter hitting the ground could actually damage something inside the transmission. I would think the shifter and / or linkage would give way first.
Are you sure it is not something wrong externally. It is a pain to get inside the transmission, but there is seldom a need to.

Wish I knew more about a Guzzi Transmission. On Hondas I have seen this if the shift spindle got bent. It would misalign the little gear that turns the shift cam that holds it in gear. It normally was the ones that went through the cases to the opposite side that did it. They may not go in the lower gears or only upshift then not down. Used to pull off the right side cover, pull it out and replace it. All better.
You say you removed the linkage. I take it you tried putting it in gear just by turning the shift spindle going into the engine. If not maybe give that a try.

Back