• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oh No - Not Tires

I don't know, maybe that has an effect. I owned a Triumph Rocket III which produces significantly more torque than the California and didn't have any wear like you describe.
It's a mystery, then. My rear tires have always worn evenly, which would seem to rule out the crowned road theory.

I'm getting 17,000 Kilometers ( 10563 miles) out of my front stock tire rear stock tire still looking new

Time to replace the Metzeler ME800's
Front 35,892 kms
Rear 20,087 kms

I'll be fitting Metzeler's again.

Regards

Tuono

Time to replace the Metzeler ME800's
Front 35,892 kms
Rear 20,087 kms

I'll be fitting Metzeler's again.

Regards

Tuono

My ME888's have around 13,000kms on them and are wearing well but I don't think I'll get anywhere near those figures.

My rear Avon Cobra went flat on me today after I hit a road hazard (tried to avoid but it was it or the ditch).
About 2 minutes after I hit the hazard I noticed excessive noise from the rear of the bike (no helmet today, very hot up here in the Northeast) and 'squirrelly' rear end feel, the tire had broken its bead on both sides and gone entirely flat BUT I still made it home (about 10 miles) on that heavy rubber donut without any wheel damage at normal road speed. Not something I'd expect from a MC tire, the tire had about 3K on it and the tread and sidewall don't even look chewed up from being ridden flat for 10 miles but obviously not where the puncture is. I know fer sure that wouldn't be the case on my old '71 ElDorado.

My tire of choice is the Bridgestone Exedra Max Cruiser and Touring Tire, matched set front and rear. I almost had my tires replaced when I purchased my 1400-T but did not, big mistake. Photo shows the OEM Dunlop rear after 1,338 miles, 70mph, I-95 Florida, not fun.

I haven't used dunlop since 1993. Got married in Gatlinburg and rear tire came apart on way to Memphis via Rt 64. 1991 Cal 3.

Just tried to plow through this whole thread to educate myself on best tire options. I have now gone through 2 rear Metzeler ME880's getting appx. 6k Miles on the first one and 5k on the 2nd (may do another 1000...but it's squared off pretty bad and I worry about wet weather riding). We mostly ride 2 up with gear and ad a duffel no the luggage rack.

I put an Avon AV72 on the Front appx. 3400 miles ago and have been fairly happy with it. I need to re-check the balance as speeds over 80mph seem produce a bit of vibration in the front (maybe time to use the dynabeads I have).

Tossing this out there as most seem to be talking about the AV72's and Excedra Max tires lately...but it seems there were good things to say about the Michelin Commander II 180/65-B16 81H Size tire in the past. I'm looking for a high mileage tire that wont square off on me so fast.

Anyone have any negative thoughts for heavy touring on the Michelin?

Regards, Joe

Regards, Joe

I don't have any experience with the Michelin Commander tires, but was talking to another California owner who recently had them installed and says he likes them. Personally, I have always had good luck with the AVONS, which I have mounted now. Got about 11K miles out of the rear and the front will run to 18K I think.

I don't have any experience with the Michelin Commander tires, but was talking to another California owner who recently had them installed and says he likes them. Personally, I have always had good luck with the AVONS, which I have mounted now. Got about 11K miles out of the rear and the front will run to 18K I think.

Do you run 2 up loaded much with those Avons?

Regards, Joe

Hi, last year i bought Michelin commander and did a roadtrip to Skandinavië of 9000 km.
This year a 6 weeks, 7000 km roadtrip to Romanië with the same tyres. So, more than 16000 km, 2 persons and lugage. There is still 4 mm left in the middle. They started a little cupping, but stil rides good. I am very pleased with them. Grtz Rudy
P1020922

Wow you are doing well. I am running Cobras and so far have about 7,000kms on the rear and about half worn. Front are Cobras too and it has 14,000kms and about two thirds worn. I don't work my tyres hard. The original Dunlop tyres wore out after no time at all (8,000kms) so I went to AVON Cobras and the first set I got about 13,000kms on the rear. I am at about 28,000kms since I bought the bike in January 2016. HAVING A BALL ON IT TOO.

Original Dunlops on my Eldo lasted 11,000kms, replaced with Metzler Marathon Ultra 888's just replaced them at 26,400kms. Couldn't get white walls in time for a trip so went black, I quite like them and they won't need cleaning every time I wash the bike.:)

Attachments

• tyres.jpg
    tyres.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 21
I put an Avon Cobra 180/70/16 on the rear on Friday and headed of to the Anzac rally at Tahora [just past Whangmomona} on Saturday, wow, what a difference it has made, heading along the Wiremu road it was noticeable instantly, cruising along there at 120 - 150s was so much better not having to crank it over to get round the bends it just turned in so nice, on to the Forgotten World Hwy and it felt even better as I was getting used to it. The 180 has made a huge difference on these tight roads, will have to wait and see how long it lives for, my last 200 Avon did 8500 ks and could have been pushed to 9500 at a pinch, Well worth trying the 180. Thanks for the post.

How has that 180-70-16 worked out for you. I just bought the same tire but haven’t mounted it yet. Any problem with the TC with that tire?

How has that 180-70-16 worked out for you. I just bought the same tire but haven’t mounted it yet. Any problem with the TC with that tire?
The 180 Avon has been great, hangs on well in wet or dry and has given consistent Ks on our rough Kiwi roads, I also changed the front tyre size DOWN to a 120/70ZR18 Pilot Road 4 GT, which has helped handling heaps, seems to turn in nicer with the 180 than the original tyre.Michelin Pilot Road 4's would be my tyre of choice if only they made a 16 or Guzzi had used a 17 "rim. I am happy with this combo but will probably try a Commander 2 on the back next time mainly to pair up the Michelins. I have also gone to a heavier weight Fork oil,, that also made a noticeable difference in and out of corners,10 weight from memory.35000k loving it.

Back