• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

What would happen first under hard breaking?

What would happen first under extreme breaking? Assume clean road, an all factory V7 without ABS.

• Lockup front tire and slide

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Front wheel stand

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jerry421a

Just got it firing!
I am curious what would happen under extreme breaking. Lets assume clean dry pavement and a
2014 ish V7 all factory including Pirelli sport demon tires.

All three are possible. It depends on the skill of the rider. The first possibility is the worst and it usually results in complete loss of control and gravity winning, and you losing.

When I took my motorcycle safety course we practiced a lot of hard braking and unexpected braking Find a parking lot and practice so you have the feel and idea of what will happen and how you and your bike will react.

Last edited:
IMG 1113
break
brāk/
verb
gerund or present participle: breaking
  1. separate or cause to separate into pieces as a result of a blow, shock, or strain."the rope broke with a loud snap"
brake
brāk/
verb
gerund or present participle: braking
  1. make a moving vehicle slow down or stop by using a brake.
    "she braked at the traffic lights"

Now that is out of the way...
Far too theoretical of a post. As John says, rider ability comes into play here. Inexperienced riders will likely get the first one ending in a crash. With a stock brake setup on a V7, the second is very highly unlikely, if not nearly impossible. The last selection is the result with most experienced riders.
Find a nice clean and clear paved lot and slowly practice for yourself; It is a skill needed to get your license, and it's a drill given during my track day owner/instructor days.

I can tell you what will happen if I'm wearing my new, still very slippery, leather riding pants. My crotch will slide forward onto the fuel tank and maybe come to rest on the steering pivot. Ouch!

As mentioned, such an open question. You did not say if you were talking about the front brake, the back brake, or both. And, as mentioned rider ability comes into play. Without ABS it is easily possible to simply apply the front brake too fast and lock the front tire. That can be done without actually applying too much front brake, just by applying it too fast. When applying the front brake you need the weight of the bike to transfer to the front tire as part of the process. If you apply full front brakes before the weight can transfer to the front the front tire can lock up.
If you apply full front brakes in a proper controlled manner the rear tire will likely come up off the ground. If you apply the front brake properly on good pavement the bike will stand up on the front tire until it loops over, an endo. But it only takes a minor pavement issue, a difference in grip, to alter the balance which can result in the front tire locking up. But if there is no grip issue and the front brake is applied properly, the front tire will not lock. In that case the bike will flip if you apply the front brake hard enough. Full brakes on a V7 without ABS would mean the rear tire is just off the ground. With ABS you may not be able to get quite as much braking power. But you would be less likely to lock the front brake if you came up short on grip or technique.

The V7ii is the first bike I've owned with ABS. I'm familiar with ABS in my car but how does it work on a bike? Can I just grab a hand/footful of brake and trust the wonders of modern tech, tyres and road surfacing to bring me up to a halt?

Use your engine!(gear decell) Helped me countless times. In co-op with both brakes. If u only use your rear brake, u Will skid and dive. If you use all those, you can controll your rear wheel skid.
The harder u pull your front brake, the more weight there will be on the front, you want an Even slight distribution, but always the majority on the front.

With slippry gravel, sandy road... Count your prayers, you will want to avoid using the front brake. Gear decell priority. But its ekstremely tricky.

In all cases, look for alternative paths, to avoid collision.

And the same for wet weather..

Last edited:
It depends of the rider skills. The range of possibilities extend from swift controlled stop to a major catastrophic event ending in a BIG BNAG, followed by BIG MEDICIAL BILLS, and perhaps a funeral.

Paul

I think I know how to brake well when needed having owned bikes over the years without abs. I was just curious as to how far you can push it and does the abs cause that shuddering like it does in a car. I'm guessing it does as long as the tyre can grip.

Just find a safe place and try it at about 15mph, it's best that you experience it in a safe place when you are expecting it than in an emergency. Steve.

I think I know how to brake well when needed having owned bikes over the years without abs. I was just curious as to how far you can push it and does the abs cause that shuddering like it does in a car. I'm guessing it does as long as the tyre can grip.
Sure, we all think that. :wasntme:

But can you brake properly? Is it a muscle reflex for ya? Will it happen correctly in an emergency situation? When was the last time you had training/coaching under the council of a skilled and certified instructor? Food for your consideration. ;)

Yes.... I'm a former MSF instructor/coach, stopped teaching 14 years ago when I relocated to Florida. Now, every few years, I enroll in a class just to keep my skills fresh. Shit happens quickly out there and I'm thinking I can never be too skilled. :shake:

Last summer I came very close to wacking a deer at high speed while in a curve on the Lolo. Yikes, we were so close I saw the flees jumping off him onto me! It was proper braking in a curve, a reflex action, that saved my arse.

Paul

Last edited:
Yep Like many things in life you never stop learning. Over confidence is a killer too. I've been thinking of doing another rider training course. Last one I did was about 25 years ago run by Honda iirc.

Back