• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

CARC Failures

Oooops, my bad! :blush:
Links removed from post.

It's all too easy to forget that free-to-join websites have to be paid for somewhere along the line, apologies for the faux-pas . . .

No worries guys, no faux-pas, just avoid a full URL copy/paste hyperlink. Usually stripping the http://www off will do it.

DSC 0320 DSC 0328

So, in order to change swing bearings i found this.. Do you see the half circle?Crack or molding flash? Stelvio 2011
No sign of crack in the drillhole. Foto taken from engine side.

Kaj, not sure what you are trying to show us. Can you provide a little more description/detail?

Can you really not see it John? ;)

CARC Crack

Anything to see on the external side Kaj?

Rub it down with some fine (>400 grit) Wet-or-Dry paper or Emery Cloth.
If it disappears, all good.

I can see what appears to be a crack, but have no idea what parts we are looking at. Something is definitely off in the OP picture on the right, but without a reference to location it doesn't mean much other that what looks like broken parts.

Hard to really tell if that is a crack. Looks like an imperfection in the casting sand. Can you get your nail in the crack, or is one side higher than the other side.

All that being said, you can get it inspected. Just find someone that does non destructive testing on metals. Just do a google search. There will be someone in your area I am sure. Most welding fabrication shops know someone that can do it as it is a requirement if they are fabricating equipment such as tanks or pressure vessels. I guarantee you they are in Sweden.

I can see what appears to be a crack, but have no idea what parts we are looking at. Something is definitely off in the OP picture on the right, but without a reference to location it doesn't mean much other that what looks like broken parts.
Ah, I see, I thought you meant you couldn't see the suspected defect.

We're looking inside the Swing-Arm, from the forward opening, i.e. the Gearbox side (A)
The suspect area is on the inner surface, roughly adjacent to where the forward edge of the Tyre is on the outside (B).
Swingarm

This is why one might be concerned about possible defects in the Swingarm Casting. . .
CARC Fail2

Personally I'm not worried/concerned, only two (possibly three?) cases out of how many thousands of all the CARC models in use?

Now, if I owned a GS1200 . . .

I am much more concerned by the picture on the right. That chunk visible inside the swing arm shouldn't be there. I'd say time for a new swing arm.

I am much more concerned by the picture on the right. That chunk visible inside the swing arm shouldn't be there. I'd say time for a new swing arm.

I just assume that was the inner surface of the bend otherwise the shaft would never fit. I think the perspective of the picture makes it look like a chunk. At least I hope. Otherwise I have no idea what that would be as it would not have been cast that way as all the molds would have been the same.

I just assume that was the inner surface of the bend otherwise the shaft would never fit. I think the perspective of the picture makes it look like a chunk. At least I hope. Otherwise I have no idea what that would be as it would not have been cast that way as all the molds would have been the same.

Until we hear from Kaj, we can only speculate at this point.

Agreed. Although I found that if you turn the picture upsidesdown with the threaded hold at the bottom it come into perspective as being the curve.

The "crack" then looks like a low spot in the sand cast (high spot on the casting). Can happen if the pour point Is directly above that spot. Guess they figured since it was on the inside who is going to see it.

OK.
That's just the top corner of the opening to the left 'Arm' of the Casting.
Does look a bit odd if you've never had one apart.
Personally, I'm well familiar with the internals of mine now . . .

OK.
That's just the top corner of the opening to the left 'Arm' of the Casting.
Does look a bit odd if you've never had one apart.
Personally, I'm well familiar with the internals of mine now . . .

I've had them apart and none looked like that to me. Must be the angle of the photo.

Thanks every one for guiding. I'm working as a welder and to weld aluminium aswell. So i do know a little of metal, but this was a hard one cause i have no chans to have a realy close look.
Im also in for the idea of a casting defect. The "crack" seems to "fade" out below the centerline.

This is my conclusion,
I've spray it from inside with supercleaner and alcoholic to se if it got any wet spot marks on the pain outside. No signs of that.
Inspected very close outside - no sign of crack.
Test with nail - it get stuck, but that does not say if its a crack or casting-defect.
Its not flat surface - seems to be a thicker layer (maybe 0,5mm) then the rest of the aluminium that ends = casting defekt.
I've hold it and knockt it and listen. It do has a nice and clean "tone/song?!". If it was i crack i expect to hear i its broken that way.
Most importen - the "crack" do goes the wrong way and theres no sign of crack where the hole is drilld.

So i go for its OK and have mout it back.

Again, thanks for your feedback!

But i can tell you guys the aluminium linkage was NOT ok! The nail bearings and its position was oval and the bearings rusty and stuck. The aluminium near to burst.
Guzzi is not so common around here, and spareparts has to be ordered.
We leaving for a 8000km trip now on friday so i had to get the crap together.

I'll post a picture of the soulution and one of the linkage as it looks when i took it of the bike. Its got 30000km on trip.

I do go a lot gravelroads and offroad, so the bike had some punches.. But if anyone of you drive the same way you better look it up.

So wish me luck! Me, my girlfriend and a lot of luggage will do 8000km in three weeks so if its a "crack" it maybe will show us. I suggest it just a casting-sand defect :)
Otherwise i'll take it apart in next winter again and look it up.

DSC 0344 DSC 0345

..And the rebuild, modified and mounted. Welded on a 15mm thick aluminium piece. Hopfully it will fix the bendings now.
Of the thread. This was just an insider tip :hi:

Back