• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Clutch Problems

Mark Fechtel

Just got it firing!
Has anyone experienced clutch slippage on the 1400 Californias? I have a 2014 purchased new in October 2015, and it now has 7700 miles on it. It has been serviced by the dealer at 500 and 6200 miles, and has no engine mods or abusive riding. I went out Sunday in the afternoon heat (105+ in the Phoenix area), and the clutch started slipping after about 30 minutes when going up any incline or with increased throttle. Barely made it home that day. Needless to say, it is back at the dealership today. Clutch play and function feels normal when cold, and the hydraulic reservoir is filled. The dealer says dry clutches are susceptible to slippage in the heat, but I'm not sure I buy that.

Has anyone experienced clutch slippage on the 1400 Californias? I have a 2014 purchased new in October 2015, and it now has 7700 miles on it. It has been serviced by the dealer at 500 and 6200 miles, and has no engine mods or abusive riding. I went out Sunday in the afternoon heat (105+ in the Phoenix area), and the clutch started slipping after about 30 minutes when going up any incline or with increased throttle. Barely made it home that day. Needless to say, it is back at the dealership today. Clutch play and function feels normal when cold, and the hydraulic reservoir is filled. The dealer says dry clutches are susceptible to slippage in the heat, but I'm not sure I buy that.

Here in Texas, it may not quite get to your level of heat all the time, but we have our moments (usually in August). Anyway, 2014 Cal 1400 Custom, no clutch issues in the heat (although I think I've smelled it a few times)...

Jim

I have 24,000kms on my Eldo and no signs of clutch slip. It will smell a bit if I take off hard but that's normal for a dry clutch.

The dealer was finally able to duplicate the slippage issued once the bike got hot enough (i.e, driving on the freeway in the afternoon at 110+degrees for 20-30 minutes). Apparently some water may have seeped into the hydraulic fluid in the clutch master cylinder, although it had never been opened to my knowledge. In the extreme heat, the water boils and pressurizes the clutch line, causing the clutch to partially disengage. MG is replacing the clutch master cylinder and covering all labor associated with troubleshooting and repair.

Glad to hear they found the problem. It seems odd there would be water infiltration in a place as dry as Arizona, maybe Oregon or Washington. Pressure washer perhaps?
What about your clutch plates? They must have taken some pretty severe abuse with all the slipping. I think a full clutch replacement might be a good gesture by MG.

Glad to hear they found the problem. It seems odd there would be water infiltration in a place as dry as Arizona, maybe Oregon or Washington. Pressure washer perhaps?
What about your clutch plates? They must have taken some pretty severe abuse with all the slipping. I think a full clutch replacement might be a good gesture by MG.
You hear about this happening in hydraulic brake lines occasionally, so it can happen in clutch lines too. I have never pressure washed it--heck, I rarely wash it at all, I'd rather be out riding it! The clutch plate was fine, and neither the dealer or I noticed any burnt clutch smell. I was really babying it to get home so actual slippage was minimal. I was just lucky I didn't have any hills to go up on the way home.

Thank goodness it was only the clutch fluid and not the brake fluid - that would have been entertaining (not !!!) Seriously though, and this question is aimed at all you long term Guzzi owners, how long should a clutch last. I know, I know - it depends on abuse and City vs Highway driving etc. but I read somewhere that it's an "engine out" job and therefore labour expensive. No issues with mine as it's only covered 6000Km and I'm careful away at the lights - just wondering

Thank goodness it was only the clutch fluid and not the brake fluid - that would have been entertaining (not !!!) Seriously though, and this question is aimed at all you long term Guzzi owners, how long should a clutch last. I know, I know - it depends on abuse and City vs Highway driving etc. but I read somewhere that it's an "engine out" job and therefore labour expensive. No issues with mine as it's only covered 6000Km and I'm careful away at the lights - just wondering

Paul, it really is a "how she is treated thing". That is, assuming no mechanical issues with the throwout bearing, transmission, or a hanging clutch master cylinder. The mileage depends on carried weight, mods, passengers, heat and humidity, etc. Literally dozens of variables.

That said, there is one piece of maintenance that all of us should be doing, and that is changing brake AND clutch fluid regularly. Both are hygroscopic, in that they will absorb water from the air. Not much mind you, the above example not with standing. But the presence of water in the brake and /or clutch system is not a good thing, just from a corrosion standpoint. If it gets bad it IS noticeable in the braking action (or lack thereof) and that is not a good feeling.
I change both yearly in the late fall with a vacuum brake bleeder and "MOTUL RBF 600" DOT 4 fluid. It is cheap insurance.

Good advice - brakes for sure. There's not much info or advice I can find on changing/bleeding the clutch even in the service manual - they only recommend inspection for the life of the bike (leaks and low fluid) - there's no change out mileage listed. I wouldn't expect the clutch fluid to get as hot as brakes and therefore less likely to "boil" but I could see how air could get in if it's not all tight.

I seem to recall a previous discussion about the clutch bleed screw being at the end of the flexible braided line that disappears into the Battery cover under the seat. At least Guzzi have made it easy for us.

I have about 3,500 miles on my 2020 Cali Touring. Usually ride pretty conservative with passenger and clutch operation is always normal. But lately I've done some more aggressive solo rides. I've discovered that when I switch to Veloce and try to accelerate quickly, the clutch slips very badly and creates a strong burning smell. Suggestions?
TIA

Suggestions?
No easy resolve. It will take digging in to address this issue. Could be glazed disks, or failing clutch. It can happen early. Aren’t you still under warranty?

Back