• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bike died

tibor

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Good morning all,
I'm a 2014 V7 owner. Yesterday my bike died while driving in the NYC. Started having some problems a few days ago where the the bike just stalled and died. No lights went on. I shut her off and everything started right back up. Well yesterday after not driving a couple of days , the bike started up no problem and was running well. After stopping and hanging out few hours. I started her back up and after a few minutes of riding she stopped. I got her going again but finally she died. It would not run for more than a few seconds before dying. I got her back home after a 250 dollar tow. I'm thinking alternator or voltage regulator. If anyone has any advice for me on what the problem is and a possible cure, it would really be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tibor

When the bike dies, do any of the electrical features still work? e.g, turn signals, head light, brake light, and so on. Have you replaced the fuel filter?

When the bike dies, do any of the electrical features still work? e.g, turn signals, head light, brake light, and so on. Have you replaced the fuel filter?
None of the electrical features work. I'm not sure if the fuel filter was changed with my last tune-up.

Hey, fellow rider from NYC here!(though i'm away from home on orders) I don't have enough experience with these Guzzis to give you a definitive answer but the basics would be to first Check battery voltage and ensure good battery connections.

Since you said none of your electronics work then I can't imagine it being your fuel filter. I'm sure more experienced people will chime in.

Hey, fellow rider from NYC here!(though i'm away from home on orders) I don't have enough experience with these Guzzis to give you a definitive answer but the basics would be to first Check battery voltage and ensure good battery connections.

Since you said none of your electronics work then I can't imagine it being your fuel filter. I'm sure more experienced people will chime in.
Thanks. I agree. I think it may be the regulator/rectifier (voltage regulator)

you checked the ignition switch for contact problems? I faced petty much the the same issue two weeks ago. Bike died all of the sudden, no lights in the dashboard anymore when switching it on.
After turning the ignition on and off a couple of times I realized the switch being the issue. I dismantled it and pump in a good shot of contact spray and that seemed to help the situation. No pb anymore ever since.
Worth checking this simple thing before spending more effort and money
cheers

OK, if all electrical is dead, It isn't the fuel filter and probably not the alternator or regulator/rectifier. With key on and engine off you should have electrical function of turn signals and such. Now we need to look for a common spot for the interruption to take place. Use The schematic for your bike and a digital volt meter or a test light to verify electrical power is going where it should. Also this thread may help https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/troubleshooting-circuits.3001/ Likely suspects are the ignition switch, fuses and fuse holder along with any connector. Be sure to clean and tighten battery connections and ground before starting. That alone may solve your problem.

OK, if all electrical is dead, It isn't the fuel filter and probably not the alternator or regulator/rectifier. With key on and engine off you should have electrical function of turn signals and such. Now we need to look for a common spot for the interruption to take place. Use The schematic for your bike and a digital volt meter or a test light to verify electrical power is going where it should. Also this thread may help https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/troubleshooting-circuits.3001/ Likely suspects are the ignition switch, fuses and fuse holder along with any connector. Be sure to clean and tighten battery connections and ground before starting. That alone may solve your problem.
Thanks very much for your advice. It'll be a huge relief if it's the just the ignition switch or the ground. Best regards, Tibor

any auto parts store can do a load test on the battery. that's the first step. if bad get a new one, charge it fully on a proper charger before you start the bike. if it fires right up check the output of the alternator. you might have a defective one. search here for the info. if so is it still in the 2 year warranty? if yes call the dealer. if it's not go to the store here and get the regulator kit.
if the battery is ok then start down the above lists.

you checked the ignition switch for contact problems? I faced petty much the the same issue two weeks ago. Bike died all of the sudden, no lights in the dashboard anymore when switching it on.
After turning the ignition on and off a couple of times I realized the switch being the issue. I dismantled it and pump in a good shot of contact spray and that seemed to help the situation. No pb anymore ever since.
Worth checking this simple thing before spending more effort and money
cheers
How do I remove the ignition switch?

How do I remove the ignition switch?

With tools. If it isn't covered in the maintenance manual, a look at the parts manual should give you an idea. If you are beginning to feel this is above your skill level, then you may want to take it to a shop.

FullSizeRender 2 FullSizeRender before trying to remove the the ignition switch I noticed this loose cable. Can anyone tell me where it connects to if anywhere and c an this be the source of my problem???

Tibor,

look at the below drawing. #8 houses the electrical ignition switch and can easily be removed from the above mechanical key lock.
No need to remove the key lock itself.
#8 being held by two little Phillips screws. Bid hard to get there with a screw driver but I managed to free #8 after a while.
Disconnect #8 cable (connector underneath the fuel tank) and then you can play with it off the bike and test the switch function.
Again, I managed to tap a little tube inside the plastic cap of #8 switch, swampt it with contact spray and let it react overnight.
That eventually fixed the issue.

Note: I have a V7 Type I European model, not sure if ignition switch and cabling was altered with Type II and III.

Hope that helps

Upload 2017 7 27 12 4 37

Tibor,

look at the below drawing. #8 houses the electrical ignition switch and can easily be removed from the above mechanical key lock.
No need to remove the key lock itself.
#8 being held by two little Phillips screws. Bid hard to get there with a screw driver but I managed to free #8 after a while.
Disconnect #8 cable (connector underneath the fuel tank) and then you can play with it off the bike and test the switch function.
Again, I managed to tap a little tube inside the plastic cap of #8 switch, swampt it with contact spray and let it react overnight.
That eventually fixed the issue.

Note: I have a V7 Type I European model, not sure if ignition switch and cabling was altered with Type II and III.

Hope that helps

View attachment 13003
Thanks very much Joerg. I found it yesterday in the workshop manual.Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

Back