• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 III Special..quirks, advice, trip odometer?

JACoH,

Thanks! Rodger that, about 180 miles to low fuel light. Dealer said first service at about 600 miles, so I will do that.

No issues finding neutral? May I ask how much clutch free-play you have please? I am wondering if mine is set a bit off?

More riding this week...

I have about 3500 miles on my blue Special, bought it new three months ago.

Neutral can still be difficult to find, but somewhat better than it was in the earlier miles.

I'm getting between 50-60 mpg. I recently went 200 miles even, before the low fuel light came on.

I consider the V7's ergonomics to be among the best I've ever experienced...since the 70's anyway.

The heads make a lot of noise, but it's just the nature of the beast and I ignore it....it's a Guzzi.

Happily, it's a VERY easy bike to clean, at least compared to our other machines.

I've had zero 'issues' with my V7, and nothing that I would call a complaint. It's my first Moto Guzzi, and I consider it a better, more enjoyable motorcycle than I thought it would be.

I haven't added any accessories at all to it, prefer to run it completely stock, though I will definitely be adding a centerstand asap.

The transmission is wonderful, both in function and the ratios. The clutch action is nicely light, and the throttle response is excellent. Brakes are ok and adequate for the bike's performance potential. The suspension could be better, but at $8500, I'm not going to expect a lot of high-end technical stuff.

The gascap sucks however, and is difficulty to turn due to the overly 'artsy' design or the cap. I would much prefer one of those old 'Monza' type of flip-up aluminum caps from the 70's on this bike.

It might be 'only' 52hp, but I'll be damned if it isn't the most well-applied, usable, and fun 52 hp I've ever had in a bike of any kind.

And it's sure a 'looker'...
IMG 20170511 103431611 HDR

I even recently found a matching, made-in-Italy, open-face helmet for it, but although it looks great, it's not a high quality item, especially for the price, and I will almost never wear it while riding...

IMG 20170724 123052029

IMG 20170724 123024251

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your experience with that beautiful V7 John, Yes, a monza style gas cap would be nice.

I've made a deal on a Blue Special and expect to take delivery the 2nd week in August, then ride it home to Florida from Ct.. I've arranged for the dealer to add a few accessories to make the trip more comfy for me. I'm blaming you for this folly! :giggle:

Paul

John, all:

Thanks for sharing your experiences. First thing I did to the bike was ditch the chrome mirrors that are difficult to adjust. Put on the Aprilia
sport mirrors: larger and very easy to adjust. Interesting gas cap, that Monza style makes sense. Can't figure out why MG puts on such clunky gas caps. More miles soon...agree the bike is supremely balanced the refined compared to the Mark I.

And yes, the blue is something "Special" indeed!

John, all:

Thanks for sharing your experiences. First thing I did to the bike was ditch the chrome mirrors that are difficult to adjust. Put on the Aprilia
sport mirrors: larger and very easy to adjust. Interesting gas cap, that Monza style makes sense. Can't figure out why MG puts on such clunky gas caps. More miles soon...agree the bike is supremely balanced the refined compared to the Mark I.

And yes, the blue is something "Special" indeed!
I actually find the stock mirrors to be fine. I hated the mirrors on a V7 I test rode.

I also like the stock mirrors.

The problem with the V7 III gascap is that the way it's shaped (overstyled), you have difficulty getting a grip on the thing to turn it. You don't want to drag your fingers, gloved or not, along the paint finish while wrestling the thing off to fill the tank.
IMG 20170726 113635

Another potential problem is the possibility of the cap slipping from your grip and dropping onto the painted tank during removal or replacement, or just being damaged dropping it onto the pavement while refueling.

It's artsy-fartsy, but it's not a very good, user-friendly, cap design.

Last edited:
JACoH,

Thanks! Rodger that, about 180 miles to low fuel light. Dealer said first service at about 600 miles, so I will do that.

No issues finding neutral? May I ask how much clutch free-play you have please? I am wondering if mine is set a bit off?

More riding this week...
I keep the clutch cable at 2mm freeplay. My Indian also had a sensitive clutch and required 2mm at all times, no fudging about it. As an aside, the Portland dealer, Aprilia MotoGuzzi Portland, Oregon has a used blue Special already, owner traded for a Cali or Eldo, forgot which. I saw it last Saturday.

I haven't been on an Italian motorcycle since the 1980's! I
Likewise! I had a whole bunch I "Latin Lovelies" (Ducati, Benelli, Laverda, MV Agusta) throughout the '70s and '80s, but hadn't ridden one since. Until about 2 weeks ago. Made the fatal mistake of taking a used V7i for a ride. My new "Italian love affair" started then and there! Will hopefully have my new blue V7iii Special by mid August. I had totally forgotten how Italian bikes feel. I was in the market for a new Gutz the day I saw my cousin's brand new 750 S3 (1st new one sold in West Oz I believe). I was riding a Benelli Sei 750 at the time. However, fate sent me to the Bavarian (read "dark") side and the next 11 years were shared between a couple R100RSs. All Japanese since then.

Any'ow, I read all that I can and will soon have my own experiences to share.

I also like the stock mirrors.

The problem with the V7 III gascap is that the way it's shaped (overstyled), you have difficulty getting a grip on the thing to turn it. You don't want to drag your fingers, gloved or not, along the paint finish while wrestling the thing off to fill the tank.
View attachment 12990

Another potential problem is the possibility of the cap slipping from your grip and dropping onto the painted tank during removal or replacement, or just being damaged dropping it onto the pavement while refueling.

It's artsy-fartsy, but it's not a very good, user-friendly, cap design.
I actually like the gas cap on my Anniversario. It makes the one on the Special look plain Jane. Talk about artsy fartsy.

The cap on the Anniversario is more decorative but doesn't appear to be more convenient to used then the cap on the Stone/Special, just more 'artry fartsy'. :nerd:

Paul

V7 50 tankcap

Agree on gas cap a retrograde design. I think I liked the simpler cap on my 2012 V7R better. Best design is large flip top, locking design like on my Triumph 675 STRX: protects tank, nothing to drop or twist, and pretty.

All,

Just back from having my Special into my Houston dealer. They called and said MG Luigi High Priest figured out the check engine codes are likely a bad O2 sensor in the cylinders (caused by water-high humidity). Recheck this morning confirmed, and new sensor on order. Luigi said quite a few new V7 IIIs have had this sensor issue. Easy fix.

Also asked mechanic tweak the clutch free play and overall adjustment. He did so (bravo, that gets a six pack of Peroni beer), and gave it a test ride (even better). Manager said "that's how they are"...umm, nope.

Clutch now engages about in mid-span instead of inner-span. Plenty of adjustment left. And, even after a hot ride (feels like 103F here in Houston), the bike snicks into neutral! Happy camper!

Italian Superbikes in Houston is a superb dealer. Very happy to have them 14 miles down freeway, even better their mechanic really is a professional.

Todd,

I am not certain as I was struggling to hear well, did not have hearing aids on and mechanic has a pretty strong Australian accent. I think he said cylinder, definitely related to humidity/water. I will get the full story when sensor replaced, they said it was a quick swap.

Younger staff member (really impressed with his attitude) keeps asking me what I am going to change on the bike? Answered: Guzzitech exhaust system. This dealer does not seem to know about your products? Given he is the Houston dealer, perhaps a business discussion is in order?

I am not certain as I was struggling to hear well, did not have hearing aids on and mechanic has a pretty strong Australian accent. I think he said cylinder
OK, please do keep us posted.
Connect the young staff person to me via email when you pick up your bike, and perhaps we can get something set up. I currently am working with AF1 Austin for a few of my products.

Back