• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Voltage regulator

tibor

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
I believe my voltage regulator on my 2014 V7 Special may be shot. Not 100% sure. But if that is the case, there are a few that GuzziTech sell, which would be the best for me to buy? Any reccommendations?

you can check the health of the regulator by testing the diodes with a capable multimeter. however, check the connection from the alternator to regulator, I found the spade in the connector was loose and as a result fried a couple regulators. I fixed the connector, and upgraded to a Japanese mosfet regulators. Haven't had an issue since.

Replacing the oem reg/rec should be standard mod done to the V7s at least.

This is the 21stC! ALL rec/regs now-a-days should be MOS-FET type, and the ones on the V7s are not. Todd has told me that some of his are MOS-FET, but he doesn't give any indication which ones. (When I'm ready to buy I'll find out). MOS-FETs are far more efficient and have more accurately controlled output. They run cooler and are more robust. In practice this gives you more electrical output from your alternator, more reliably. I'm not saying that your alternator output is increased - you simply lose less of it to inefficient electronics. This can be a worthwhile, measurable amount if, like me, you want to push a piddly little system (like the V7iii - 270 watts) to its limit.

There is much debate about whether series or shunt regs are better. I prefer MOS-FET (this is gospel) shunt type (this is not necessarily gospel) regulators, for the reasons above. So, if you ever suspect your rec/reg is problematic, replace the damn thing with a MOS-FET one straight away. I also try to get one rated much higher than my needs so that the reliability factor is improved even further.

Thanks
Replacing the oem reg/rec should be standard mod done to the V7s at least.

This is the 21stC! ALL rec/regs now-a-days should be MOS-FET type, and the ones on the V7s are not. Todd has told me that some of his are MOS-FET, but he doesn't give any indication which ones. (When I'm ready to buy I'll find out). MOS-FETs are far more efficient and have more accurately controlled output. They run cooler and are more robust. In practice this gives you more electrical output from your alternator, more reliably. I'm not saying that your alternator output is increased - you simply lose less of it to inefficient electronics. This can be a worthwhile, measurable amount if, like me, you want to push a piddly little system (like the V7iii - 270 watts) to its limit.

There is much debate about whether series or shunt regs are better. I prefer MOS-FET (this is gospel) shunt type (this is not necessarily gospel) regulators, for the reasons above. So, if you ever suspect your rec/reg is problematic, replace the damn thing with a MOS-FET one straight away. I also try to get one rated much higher than my needs so that the reliability factor is improved even further.
for your input. Will look into when I get a little bit of cash.

Hey mate, check the thread "here" on the V7 overcharging issue.
G'day Harley, I can't find anything about overcharging in that thread, at least without reading all 7 pages. However, a good quality regulator (and the SHINDENGEN MOSFET FH020AA REGULATOR/RECTIFIER is a good one), rated correctly will fix that issue. Using and over rated reg/rec will not cause any overcharging. It'll simply run cooler and more efficiently than one running at its red line. The Shindengen brand has an excellent reputation. I've duly noted that FleaBay link - thanx.

I wasn't overly interested in the overcharging issue. My original post re rec/regs wasn't addressing the issue.

The efficiency of the rec/reg is due to the basic design of the regulator - whether it is series or shunt. The use of MOSFET components is not the deciding factor in the selection of a regulator for your Guzzi. Series regulators, such as the Comu-fire, will cutoff current from the alternator when the regulating voltage threshold is achieved, thus powering the motorcycle load from the battery. Shunt regulators, such as the Shindengen, will instead dump excess current back through the alternator coils when the regulating voltage threshold is achieved. Thus the shunt regulator could potentially cause the alternator windings to overheat and fail. The series regulator will allow greater current to be delivered to the bike electronics by preventing core saturation in the alternator and allow the stator coils in the alternator to run cooler than with a shunt regulator. Please read this Powerpoint presentation detailing the differences between series and shunt rec/reg: https://www.keepandshare.com/doc/4094058/rr-tutorial-pdf-june-5-2012-11-34-pm-837k?da=y

The issue for many V7 owners is the excessively high regulating voltage threshold as set in the OEM regulator. This high threshold causes premature failure of the battery in many cases. Replacing the OEM rec/reg with an aftermarket one solves the problem because the threshold on the aftermarket rec/reg is lower than the OEM.

Last edited:
The efficiency of the rec/reg is due to the basic design of the regulator - whether it is series or shunt. The use of MOSFET components is not the deciding factor in the selection of a regulator for your Guzzi. Series regulators, such as the Comu-fire, will cutoff current from the alternator when the regulating voltage threshold is achieved, thus powering the motorcycle load from the battery. Shunt regulators, such as the Shindengen, will instead dump excess current back through the alternator coils when the regulating voltage threshold is achieved. Thus the shunt regulator could potentially cause the alternator windings to overheat and fail. The series regulator will allow greater current to be delivered to the bike electronics by preventing core saturation in the alternator and allow the stator coils in the alternator to run cooler than with a shunt regulator. Please read this Powerpoint presentation detailing the differences between series and shunt rec/reg: https://www.keepandshare.com/doc/4094058/rr-tutorial-pdf-june-5-2012-11-34-pm-837k?da=y

The issue for many V7 owners is the excessively high regulating voltage threshold as set in the OEM regulator. This high threshold causes premature failure of the battery in many cases. Replacing the OEM rec/reg with an aftermarket one solves the problem because the threshold on the aftermarket rec/reg is lower than the OEM.
That link is a very clear discussion on regulator design and the pros and cons of series vs shunt. Lays it out very nicely, thanks. I've tucked that one away for future reference.

Back