• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

GT-Rx® Muffled Reverse-Cone Megaphone Muffler, now on a 2008 1200S

Bgarceau

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
This past week I received delivery of this slip-on muffler from Todd. I ordered this in its polished version.

I had not visited the site for about a year. The last time I had, a similar model was already available for smaller displacement Guzzis, but until recently I did not know that it was also available for my bike, a 2008 1200 Sport.

Since I had not seen pictures of this muffler shown on a 1200S I thought others here might like to check it out.

IMG 3633

Mounting was very easy, and fitment was near perfect (Todd followed up with me before completing the order to ensure I would end up with the correct pipe as there are apparently some differences in the header pipes out there). I used Permatex Copper high-temp RTV silicone gasket to seal where the pipe meets the exhaust header.

Because I also have a center stand in place, I needed to add a means to protect the new muffler from damage as the center stand retracts. For this I installed a bolt that I heated and bent a bit so that it rests against the center stand bumper as it retracts.

Here's a picture that provides some perspective. The bolt mounts to the tab provided on the new muffler.

IMG 3628

And now, a closer look at the bolt mounting.

IMG 3629

This is a great looking muffler. Due to bad weather I have not been able to take this out for a ride. The bike does pop lots on decel. I am hoping that the extra care I took in sealing the pipes will help or eliminate that.

IMG 0601

A few pics with the bags...

IMG 3642

IMG 3643

I also created a video below to try to demonstrate the sound. Most online videos are not that great at capturing muffler audio, probably because they usually only demonstrate with a static/standing bike...not under load or decelerating. The video I made then is of only marginal benefit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post Bg! I'm really happy with the sound, power and looks. Question on the centerstand stop... I duplicated the stock muffler stop tab, so wondering what is so different about your bike's centerstand from all the others. Usually it's just a rubber bumper on the muffler or centerstand.

Regarding the stop tab, the center stand was installed by the PO, and I see no makers mark on the stand. I think he said that it is a Norge part, and mentioned that a bracket of some sort was replaced when mounting. I think I have that replaced part somewhere.

No complaint in needing to provide that bolt as a standoff BTW.

Maybe these additional pictures will help...

IMG 3635 IMG 3636 IMG 3637 IMG 3638 IMG 3628

Last edited:
Just got back from an extended ride with my wife.

This muffler - a little louder - nice tone!

Observations on deceleration popping... still persists but less persistent :). Not as pronounced, "edgy", obnoxious... less frequent, and when it does occur, more "rounded".

Is this due to the dry weather or barometric pressure, the new muffler or because I made sure that the muffler connection was well sealed?

Who knows?

Pleased overall... regardless.

Last edited:
Just got back from an extended ride with my wife. This muffler - a little louder - nice tone! Observations on deceleration popping... still persists but less persistent :). Not as pronounced, "edgy", obnoxious... less pronounced, less frequent, and when it does occur, more "rounded". Is this due to the dry weather or barometric pressure, the new muffler or because I made sure that the muffler connection was well sealed?
Pleased overall... regardless.
Thanks for the post, and glad you like it.
Pop on decel on the 1200 is often because of the evap emission equip, not the seal of the exhaust... that or you have a crack in your Y-pipe. You have the fuel mapping revised to GT spec? If not, that will help 150%.

Thanks Todd. I am still working with thel GT map that you provided with the reflash tool, installed when received. Would I need you to tweak the map again, due to the addition of the reverse cone muffler?

The evap canister is out of the bike, with all three hoses plugged and left under the seat. You may recall that I also performed the test where I pinched the stepper motor air hose, which resulted in no change.

I'll give the Y-pipe a look.

Last edited:
Here's a picture that provides some perspective. The bolt mounts to the tab provided on the new muffler.

View attachment 13075

Beautiful bike!!! and muffler.

You may have the muffler mounted on the wrong side of that mounting bolt. The muffler on my 07' Norge mounts on the inside of it. If you were to do that, you may not need that curved bolt you made-up and the center stand would then rest a little higher and out of the way.

here a close-up of mine
Mine

Last edited:
Beautiful bike!!! and muffler.

You may have the muffler mounted on the wrong side of that mounting bolt. The muffler on my 07' Norge mounts on the inside of it. If you were to do that, you may not need that curved bolt you made-up and the center stand would then rest a little higher and out of the way.

here a close-up of mine
View attachment 13099

As suggested, I changed the mounting location to the inward side.

IMG 3649

My concern over the angle of attack where the muffler meets the Y-tube ended up as a non-issue.

The muffler tab is now definitely closer (horizontally) to the center stand bumper, however is still a little over an inch away from bumper contact, with the stand touching the body of the muffler. Overall though, net change should be that once I get the standoff shortened and in place I should have a little better lean clearance. Nice!

IMG 3650

I also got a closer look at the Y-pipe connections - both ends - and saw that in at least one location there is black soot. So once I get the fitment sorted, I'll pull these components apart and ensure they all get some of that nice copper silicone gasket material to seal it all up.

Last edited:
I also got a closer look at the Y-pipe connections - both ends - and saw that in at least one location there is black soot. So once I get the fitment sorted, I'll pull these components apart and ensure they all get some of that nice copper silicone gasket material to seal it all up.
Very good. Still wondering what is going in with the stop. Did it fit normally with the stock muffler?
Header to Y-pipe connection is important to seal, with the terrible fiberous gaskets that wear out. Y-pipe to muffler connection isn't as critical. I don't recommend chemical seal on it.

Email me for the map. The Forum isn't my Inbox. ;)

Back