• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New noise

Gregg Nordby

Tuned and Synch'ed
Am I the only one who thinks that every 1000-2000 miles the engine starts to make a new noise it never made before and stops making a noise it once did? My engine just started making a new rattle I have never heard before . I noticed it on the highway when I was passing cars that when the engine is under a high load the valve train sounds like it's gunna blow and that the timing chains are slapping the sides of the engine .Anyone else have this

The 8V makes a lot of everchanging noises and most of them are completely normal, but if you are hearing what sounds like chain slap that is not normal. Very hard to diagnose sounds without actually hearing it.

You say under high load, define that. What RPM and gear are your referring to. Are you saying you are lugging the engine in 6th and then cranking the throttle. If that is the case, stop doing that. Will not sound normal and most likely you are hearing pinging in the engine and the gearbox screaming in agony. If you drop a gear and do the same thing again, is the sound still there?

If you are passing a car in 4 or 5th and hearing what sounds like chain slap at high RPM's I would not ignore that and see what the issue is. Could be a bad tensioner or chain guide, but again, very hard to diagnose here. If you are not hearing any chain slap at lower RPM's I would say this is not the sound you are hearing. If it was a loose chain, you would hear it at all RPM. Would actually be worse as lower RPM as there is less pressure for the hydraulic tensioners.

Need more information........

Hey Greg,
Do you by chance have more than one bike?
OR
Do you ride "occasionally" ?

I have both Victory & Guzzi. Each makes it's own special sound. Because of weather I have been riding the Vic Tour a lot.
Yesterday was the first day without rain & with blue skies in a month so I jumped on the Griso.
After riding a while I thought the engine was noisier so i stopped & checked oil, exhaust bolts, etc...
All good so I started riding again. After about an hour I realized the all was normal.
I had ridden for a long enough time for the thrill of riding the Griso was wearing off & I was just starting to listen to the engine.

If you only ride occasionally it's easy to forget some noises then become "aware" of them.

Actually I ride often . Between 10,000-12,000 a year . this was the first time I rode the bike in months without ear plugs though :).

Good news :

1. All sounds normal at idle. So no major problems.

2. I think I'm just paranoid. I got the bike lightly used and after putting about 8,000 miles on it the computer fried and ended my riding season last year. Kinda destroyed my confidence in the bike . I'm at about 8,000 more miles this year so I'm probably just being crazy.

As for the noise, chuck is right . Only heard the awful noise in 6th gear going from 3,400ish to 4100ish passing cars which I will no longer be doing and haven't really done all that much. When I drop a gear it sounds like a thing of beauty :) .

I think all is well. If things do for some reason start sounding odd I will update. Side note, anyone know people with close to 100,000 miles on the bikes ?

Hey don't laugh.....I know guys that put them in their mouths to clean them......:envy:

Maybe they think they are candy also.............

My brother in law in the UK, after every stop on a ride, there he goes, giving them a good lick before he puts them in his ears. Perhaps its two kinds of riders?

Back