• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Educate me on TPS (Demand Sensor) for Cali 14

CBJoe

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Hello Folks,

2014 Cali 1400

I'm trying to piece together a ton of dispersed info on this site and others to educate myself on the Function and Troubleshooting of the Demand Sensor. I have a high suspicion that an occurrence of an Urgent Service message on dash is related to this. I had some codes read by dealer in the past and I have TR Alaris Ordered to verify.

I'd like to be sure I have a good understanding of the proper troubleshooting steps as I am leaving on a 2 week road trip in < week.

Issue occurs regardless of temperature and whether it's a cold or hot start. Also occurred BEFORE and AFTER the moaning whale mods (Tip Valve removal and Intake Leak Plugged). Also occurred BEFORE and AFTER a Map was reloaded by the dealer a few weeks ago. We thought this corrected the problem but it didn't.

Note: This has NEVER occurred while the bike is running and I have ALWAYS been able to get the message to go away. Bike ride and runs fantastic. No hanging throttle or other inconsistencies.

Scenario
- Turn the key to the ON position and the fuel pump primes. Urgent Service Message Appears. I start the bike and let it idle for a moment.
- Turn key to OFF and back to ON. The pump primes and the message changes to "Service". Start the bike and let it idle for a moment and then turn off.
- Turn the key back ON and sometimes the Service Message is still there, but it goes away immediately when I start the bike.
- Ride the bike for 10 miles or a 100 and there is no issue felt or seen.

Question: Is there any thought that a Throttle Reset/Learning via Alaris could correct this?

Thoughts: I feel like the handlebar position has some impact on this. I feel like I can sometimes prevent or induce the error by not moving the handlebars or turning them while the key is in the ON position but the bike is not started. I checked the cables (electrical and mechanical) at the Demand Sensor and they are not loose.

Thanks for your thoughts. I realize this is all anecdotal until I read the actual codes later this week.

Regards, Joe

I realize this is all anecdotal until I read the actual codes later this week.

Yep, codes would help. But you might like to try putting your bike into gear and then throwing out the side stand. If the motor doesn't stop then you may have a clutch switch problem. This occurred on my bike and I chased my tail for weeks.

The Alaris may show a P0745 fault which is not documented by the service manual. I believe this represents a clutch switch issue.

Yep, codes would help. But you might like to try putting your bike into gear and then throwing out the side stand. If the motor doesn't stop then you may have a clutch switch problem. This occurred on my bike and I chased my tail for weeks.

The Alaris may show a P0745 fault which is not documented by the service manual. I believe this represents a clutch switch issue.

Nope. I just double-checked and verified the kickstand sensor and the cruise control works.

Would love for it to have been easy :)

"I feel like I can sometimes prevent or induce the error by not moving the handlebars or turning them while the key is in the ON position but the bike is not started. I checked the cables (electrical and mechanical) at the Demand Sensor and they are not loose."

I noticed when I got mine that the insulation was rubbed off some wires near the handlebar. These include the wires from the throttle. I taped it up, but wondered what would happen if the problem had gotten any worse. Shorts, no doubt. Perhaps you need to check your wiring closer to the possible source of problems/friction, the bars?

Nothing yet...I pulled the covers and tilted the tank up and cannot find any issues with pinched or damaged wires. I'll wait to see when I get Alaris to determine the exact codes.

Dodgy clutch switch seems to feature in quite a few unusual hard to trace problems with the 1400's. Might not be the cause of the problem in this case, but it's another thing to rule out.

Hooked up the Alaris System and confirmed its the P0155 Potentiometer Pot.C-D / 1000 Invalid Signal

I can pretty readily reproduce the error if I have the handlebars twisted in either the right or left positions. on my recent 3400 Mile Road Trip I was able to avoid ever seeing the message by always straightening up the handlebars before turning the key on.

So back to my original question. Is there any such thing as adjusting this mechanism or the Pots? Or is it plug and play and simply needs replaced? I can find no other pinched cables and the throttle cable connections at the Demand Sensor are tight and secure. The ones on the throttle itself are a bit loose, but I do not see a way to tighten those.

Regards, Joe

I think I'm answering my own question here. But from what I can see, there is no fixing/adjusting this short of identifying a wiring issue. Currently trying to understand if I need to do a "Self-Learning" of the throttle and how to actually complete it.

White rear connector throttle grip position (tracks C-D) P0155
· inconsistent signal
Error cause
· Two illogical voltage signals have been detected at PIN 23 and 11 of the ENGINE connector
(tracks A-B)
Troubleshooting
· Check the parameters of the white rear connector Throttle Grip Position Sensor - tracks C
and D: if one of the two values clearly deviates from 600-1400 mV, it means that this potentiometer
is defective. Check the throttle grip sensor connector and the control unit
connector: if not OK, restore. If OK, check that cable resistance between the throttle grip
sensor connector and the control unit is a few tenths of Ohm: if this is not the case, restore
wiring. If the value is correct, replace the complete throttle grip sensor

When I have a chance I'm going to remove the fuel tank and clearly check the cables to be sure they ohm out OK and there is no indication of an issue at the connector or in the loom.

Joe

I hope the bike is still under warranty. Otherwise $$$$ I believe if you have to replace the pots.

Since it is affected by the handlebar position, it's unlikely to be the pots themselves. Probably a loose connector or dry joint.

I hope the bike is still under warranty. Otherwise $$$$ I believe if you have to replace the pots.

Since it is affected by the handlebar position, it's unlikely to be the pots themselves. Probably a loose connector or dry joint.

Unfortunately No....the warranty is was out this spring. It looks like the Demand Sensor is appx. $350. When I have time I'm going to pull the tank and give a good inspection on everything. That will also allow me to turn the bike on and try and reproduce while messing with specific wires.

Have to call Techno Research (TR Alaris) support tomorrow to try and get a few questions answered about the software functions.

Joe

Back