• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Warranty rant

Robert Gibson

High Miler
GT Contributor
Informed my dealer regarding some issues with the bike at the end of February i.e. Condensation inside the speedo, condensation and bugs inside the headlamp and degradation of the lacquer on the fork legs. I was advised by the dealer that it was probably best if I speak direct with MG Spain as of at the end of March no decisions had been made.
Although not fluent in Spanish I can get by fairly proficiently although it is more difficult with a telephone conversation, however after calling MG Spain and asking to speak to a English speaking representative my call was duly returned from Italy???? I explained the situation to the operator who was very understanding and said he would contact the relevant departments and ask for a resolution ASAP.
Situation so far, MG has agreed for the dealer to dismantle the speedo and headlamp, clean and reseal (watch this space). The problem with the fork legs is as they put it "down to bad maintenance". Light the blue touch paper.........Another call to Italy via MG Spain. As a former military aircraft propulsion engineer I think I know the difference between bad maintenance and bad manufacturing practices and duly informed the MG representative as to these facts, in addition not quite what I expect from a bike that cost in excess of 22K Euros and is only nine months old. We shall see what unfolds.
I must state that the dealer has been fairly supportive and in fact were awarded the 2016 dealership by Piaggio for sales and service, although I would imagine their hand are tied by the conditions of the MG warranty department. I think a call to the boss to remind him of this will be in order.

Some of us thought we had bugs and condensation in our headlights, but found it was an optical illusion. The condensation and insects were outside the glass, at the bottom, between the glass and the black plastic housing. I blasted mine out with my pressure cleaner. You may be lucky.

Stephen

Some of us thought we had bugs and condensation in our headlights, but found it was an optical illusion. The condensation and insects were outside the glass, at the bottom, between the glass and the black plastic housing. I blasted mine out with my pressure cleaner. You may be lucky.

Stephen
My dealer cleaned the bugs out of my headlight during my second scheduled service. Haven't seen em since. As for the condensation inside the speedo, I had that happen off & on for the 3 years I've owned the bike. Doesn't seem to affect anything so I've ignored it.

Unfortunately with my speedo the condensation was that bad it has left visible streaks on the glass. The latest from the dealer is that they are going to take the speedo apart and clean the inside of the glass, can't wait to see how they are going to achieve that.

The story so far:

Partial copy of the email sent to Piaggio customer services:

I have since been informed that Moto Guzzi Spain does NOT regard the degradation of the lacquer on the forks as a warranty fault and have stated that it is down to 'bad maintenance'. For me this is TOTALLY unacceptable as the motorcycle is nine months old, garaged, and has only covered 6000kms. As a former aircraft propulsion engineer I know the difference between 'bad maintenance' and sub standard finishing, and for Moto Guzzi Spain to state this is ignorance, a lack of technical understanding and avoidance of the problem. I have owned various marques of motorcycles for more than 40 years and have always found other manufacturers to have belief in the quality and standards of their product. They have always addressed any issues head on in the first instance, ensuring customer satisfaction and confidence in the brand while upholding their reputation. For Moto Guzzi Spain to take this stance shows a very poor reflection of their regard to customer service, particularly in relation to your flagship motorcycle.

I hope this situation can be addressed at the highest level and concluded to the satisfaction of all concerned.

Response

For what regards the headlamp, Casa Capo has already contacted the Spare Parts Department at Madrid, our Customer Service will send them a reminder for arranging it as a matter of urgency.

For what regards the erosion of lacquer Moto Guzzi technicians have requested to perform a protocol before making any decision. Please be advised that the considerations on erosion are a very complex matter which requires long analyze of good maintenance proof.

I delivered the bike to the dealer on Monday which for me involves a 2 hour ferry crossing and one hour road trip followed by a return flight home, for the above mentioned issues to be addressed.

Collected the bike today (Friday) another flight etc,

Headlamp issue sorted
Speedo, could not be taken apart, (what a shock) and will be replaced under warranty.
Fork legs, attempted to machine polish but could not remove marks or restore finish to the lacquer, (again what a shock), bottom line, lowers to be replaced under warranty.

Has the aggravation been worth it?

IMHO YES.

The story so far:

Partial copy of the email sent to Piaggio customer services:

I have since been informed that Moto Guzzi Spain does NOT regard the degradation of the lacquer on the forks as a warranty fault and have stated that it is down to 'bad maintenance'. For me this is TOTALLY unacceptable as the motorcycle is nine months old, garaged, and has only covered 6000kms. As a former aircraft propulsion engineer I know the difference between 'bad maintenance' and sub standard finishing, and for Moto Guzzi Spain to state this is ignorance, a lack of technical understanding and avoidance of the problem. I have owned various marques of motorcycles for more than 40 years and have always found other manufacturers to have belief in the quality and standards of their product. They have always addressed any issues head on in the first instance, ensuring customer satisfaction and confidence in the brand while upholding their reputation. For Moto Guzzi Spain to take this stance shows a very poor reflection of their regard to customer service, particularly in relation to your flagship motorcycle.

I hope this situation can be addressed at the highest level and concluded to the satisfaction of all concerned.

Response

For what regards the headlamp, Casa Capo has already contacted the Spare Parts Department at Madrid, our Customer Service will send them a reminder for arranging it as a matter of urgency.

For what regards the erosion of lacquer Moto Guzzi technicians have requested to perform a protocol before making any decision. Please be advised that the considerations on erosion are a very complex matter which requires long analyze of good maintenance proof.

I delivered the bike to the dealer on Monday which for me involves a 2 hour ferry crossing and one hour road trip followed by a return flight home, for the above mentioned issues to be addressed.

Collected the bike today (Friday) another flight etc,

Headlamp issue sorted
Speedo, could not be taken apart, (what a shock) and will be replaced under warranty.
Fork legs, attempted to machine polish but could not remove marks or restore finish to the lacquer, (again what a shock), bottom line, lowers to be replaced under warranty.

Has the aggravation been worth it?

IMHO YES.

Well Done! While not exactly catching more bees with honey than vinegar; A well written, terse but polite, letter solves the problem. Far better than questioning their parentage and insulting them...which might have gotten you a photocopied middle finger!
Kirk

Good luck with the headlamp problem. I had a replacement under warranty and the problem returned on the new unit within a short period of time. It is a design flaw, pure & simple but MG is not going to acknowledge it.

Update, new headlamp unit, left and right fork leg lowers at dealers waiting for me to take the bike so they can be replaced under warranty.
I have also taken the opportunity to buy the Matris fork spring and spacer kit, which hopefully I can get the dealer to fit when they dismantle the forks to replace the lowers.
(Apologies Todd although your price for the kit is more than competitive, the shipping and more importantly import duties is a crippler).

Any photoshop gurus out there. I am going to ask the dealer if they will allow me to take the fork lowers prior to replacement so I can either strip the lacquer and polish or have them powder coated black.
I would appreciate it if anyone could post a photo with the lowers blacked out.
Thanks

Back