• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 1100 Restoration Project

Thank you for your interest and support. This forum has been a wonderful encouragement and a place to document a Breva 11 refurbishment. If others follow, I can help and done it. But more important is the huge resource of knowledge from Guzzi enthusiasts that have been there for me and contributed. I'm coming to the end of this project and would like to thank all those who have chipped in and contributed. So much advice and so much experience I could have done it with out you!

I have some latest photos to load and the first start. Almost there. I got insurance today on agreed value. I'm looking to get the bike on the road before my bother visits from Canada in two weeks. We will be doing final check before maiden voyage.

Last edited:
Got the brakes on but the rear line I had made up was too short and I didn't realise at the time or receiving it.
Waiting for a new rear brake line and a replacement bleed nipple/banjo for the rear caliper.

The seat still with the restorers. Waiting for new foot peg rubbers and pins.

Also working on the dash. I have two dash lenses. Both are cracked and making one from them by hot wire cutting then filing and epoxy resin to join. Will take a picture tomorrow. Looking like this at the moment.
20170907 150334

Last edited:
Here are some photos of the fixed dash cover. Constructed out of two and glued together.
20170909 125108

With the top chromed cover on, the glue is hidden nicely.
20170909 125626 1

If you think the corners of the clear plastic look funny it is because I used Grit 240, 600,1000,1500 and 2000 the polish with T cut. I didn't pay enough attention to the extremities of each lens. Will be repeating over the winter. It did remove any scratches though.

Last edited:
NPS, what (I think) would set that off nicely is the Sport Rocker covers. IMHO they look better than the Breva/Norge ones. Just saying, and yes I am biased.

They also have those nice plastic skid blocks (one wonders it these couldn't be made from alloy or stainless and polished up quite nice).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Tony for your suggestion. Might consider that over the winter. Definitely not riding this while salt on the roads!

I had the seat back today and the restorer (Damien of SeatWorks Bradford) did wonderful job at a good price.

This last week I completed the brakes. It is fun getting air from the system when the master is pumping fresh air in with each leaver pull! Anyway sorted that by cleaning out the rust and lubricating with silicone oil (a little).

The bike started after the third try. However I had a red light. I tracked it down to a broken air temp sensor wire and the heat temp sensor wire. Both were damaged and I guess the cause of the occasional red light I used to get before I started this.

After I got the engine going I proceeded to give it the initial throttle balance with a home made U tube (2 metres high with Methanol as the fluid). I use a clamp on the pvc connector tubes to dampen the vacuum pulses. The engine seemed quite good without adjustment. A few tweeks of the sacred screw with TPS reset each time did the trick. I had on reassembly set the butterflies to the prescribed angle as in a post in the CARC forum, by measuring the distance from the butterfly edge to the body inlet surface. I spent about an hour tweaking but got it good with a nice balanced beat from each side at 1200 rpm and nice even take up on opening the throttle slightly.

I went for my first check ride today and did about 20 miles. The clutch is very nice now I have replaced it. No loud rattling at the moment. The engine feel really nice. She pulls well and is very smooth. I'm being careful on the revs and throttle till run in.

The front suspension seem harsh. I put a little over the prescribed 400cc per leg as I remember doing that before. It does seem very stiff and bottoms out at full extension a lot. Possibly too much air compression from increased oil volume. Will need to take the forks off and redo till it is correct.

Gear lever is too high so will move that down a spline. Everything else works a treat!. Breaks to bed in of course. It feels so nice to have my old friend back and looking so well and something to be proud of when I park up next to the young lads on there Jap bikes! Mine also has a story to tell.

Here are a few closing shots of the completed bike.

20170915 152129 1 20170915 152144NoNumberPlat 20170915 152158 1 20170915 152212 1 20170915 152317 1 20170915 152355 1 20170915 152441 1 20170915 152453 1 20170915 152519 1 20170915 152534 1 20170915 152546 1 20170915 154957 1

TA few tweeks of the sacred screw with TPS reset each time did the trick. I had on reassembly set the butterflies to the prescribed angle as in a post in the CARC forum, by measuring the distance from the butterfly edge to the body inlet surface. I spent about an hour tweaking but got it good with a nice balanced beat from each side at 1200 rpm and nice even take up on opening the throttle slightly.

I hoped you tweaked the balance screw and not the throttle stop screw (sacred screw). Once the throttle plate angle is set the stop screw shouldn't be moved.

Thank you Tony for your suggestion. Might consider that over the winter. Definitely not riding this while salt on the roads!

I had the seat back today and the restorer (Damien of SeatWorks Bradford) did wonderful job at a good price.

This last week I completed the brakes. It is fun getting air from the system when the master is pumping fresh air in with each leaver pull! Anyway sorted that by cleaning out the rust and lubricating with silicone oil (a little).

The bike started after the third try. However I had a red light. I tracked it down to a broken air temp sensor wire and the heat temp sensor wire. Both were damaged and I guess the cause of the occasional red light I used to get before I started this.

After I got the engine going I proceeded to give it the initial throttle balance with a home made U tube (2 metres high with Methanol as the fluid). I use a clamp on the pvc connector tubes to dampen the vacuum pulses. The engine seemed quite good without adjustment. A few tweeks of the sacred screw with TPS reset each time did the trick. I had on reassembly set the butterflies to the prescribed angle as in a post in the CARC forum, by measuring the distance from the butterfly edge to the body inlet surface. I spent about an hour tweaking but got it good with a nice balanced beat from each side at 1200 rpm and nice even take up on opening the throttle slightly.

I went for my first check ride today and did about 20 miles. The clutch is very nice now I have replaced it. No loud rattling at the moment. The engine feel really nice. She pulls well and is very smooth. I'm being careful on the revs and throttle till run in.

The front suspension seem harsh. I put a little over the prescribed 400cc per leg as I remember doing that before. It does seem very stiff and bottoms out at full extension a lot. Possibly too much air compression from increased oil volume. Will need to take the forks off and redo till it is correct.

Gear lever is too high so will move that down a spline. Everything else works a treat!. Breaks to bed in of course. It feels so nice to have my old friend back and looking so well and something to be proud of when I park up next to the young lads on there Jap bikes! Mine also has a story to tell.

Here are a few closing shots of the completed bike.

View attachment 13411 View attachment 13412 View attachment 13413 View attachment 13414 View attachment 13415 View attachment 13416 View attachment 13417 View attachment 13418 View attachment 13419 View attachment 13420 View attachment 13421 View attachment 13422

I hoped you tweaked the balance screw and not the throttle stop screw (sacred screw). Once the throttle plate angle is set the stop screw shouldn't be moved.
You read correctly. I turned the screw in stages in quarter turns plus and minus the starting position. Ended up one quarter turn more closed as the sweetest tick over after, tps reset each time. I expect to leave the sacred screw here. So next time i balance the throttle, will be the standard procedure.

You read correctly. I turned the screw in stages in quarter turns plus and minus the starting position. Ended up one quarter turn more closed as the sweetest tick over after, tps reset each time. I expect to leave the sacred screw here. So next time i balance the throttle, will be the standard procedure.

That may not work out so well for the rest of the RPM range.

That may not work out so well for the rest of the RPM range.
I rode 40 miles today and the bike seems fine. Not gone over 6k revs but seems really nice, responsive and powerful. I might try different positions of the sacred screw as it is not that sacred any more.

I rode 40 miles today and the bike seems fine. Not gone over 6k revs but seems really nice, responsive and powerful. I might try different positions of the sacred screw as it is not that sacred any more.

If it is running well, I wouldn't mess with it. Sometimes you can get lucky. The enemy of good is better.,

Reactions: NPS
Aesthetic suggestion - paint that chrome plastic strip on the black panel attached to the fuel tank. I painted the ones on my black sport a metallic dark gray (close to matching other grays on the bike) and it made a big difference. Me no like chrome..... IMG 1554

NPS Sir. Congratulations on an exemplary rebirth of your motorcycle. What a beauty she turned out to be and I for one, think your sense of taste and style is excellent and spot on. This has been one of the funnest forums to follow over time, and having just returned from a long respite, I find completed photos of your machine. Kudos Kudos Kudos on a bang up job! Truly.

My only parting wish is for you to discover ACF-50 so that your machine will stay beautiful regardless of the salt.

Go look at www.acf-50.co.uk/aviation.htm

It is amazing stuff and aviators and motorcyclists in the know, swear by it.

Best Wishes,

Scott

Last edited:
Reactions: NPS
Back