• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V9 vs V7 III Special vs T120

J. Hughes

Just got it firing!
Hello All,

I am seriously considering a new Moto Guzzi vs. a Triumph T120. I've ridden the Bobber, the Roamer, the V7, and, of course the Triumph. To get to the point I am having a hard time making a decision. My riding is mostly commuting to work in heavy traffic and then some short weekend riding (200 miles etc). I have read that the Guzzi is a bike you need to wrench a bit. I am not opposed to doing that, but I need a bike that is reliable when I go out and crank it every morning for work. We also, from what i can glean from these boards have a competent Guzzi tech at our local dealership in Marietta.

My head tells me the Triumph is the bike to get, but my heart says Guzzi. However, I am a bit gun shy at pulling the trigger.

Second point: If I do decide to go with the Guzzi, I am 6 feet and 190 pounds. I recently had neck surgery a year ago and need a position where I do not put a lot of pressure between my shoulders. The Roamer seems to be the obvious choice, but I cannot get over the blue Special.

So my first question is this: for someone my size what is your opinion about the ergos between the V9 and V7 long term? Any taller riders have a V7?

My second question is thoughts on my first points between the T120 and the Guzzi.

Many thanks for opinions,

Jay , Atlanta, GA

I have a new, blue, V7 III Special, and will very likely buy a T120 in the spring (if I can sell my Indian, that is). Having both will be great!

That new Triumph 1200 is driving me nuts....
IMG 20170809 100907961 HDR

I'm 5'10", two hundred and fif......never mind....too fat, and feel that my V7 is perhaps one of the most comfortable bike I've owned this side of our GL1800. Amazingly, the seat doesn't hurt me at all, and I really like the bar/seat/footpeg relationship. I prefer to not have windshields on my bikes for my kind of riding, and like shorter, lower, semi-cafe-racer type of bars.

I must say though, when I sat on that green/pearl white T120 in the image I posted, all I could say was: "Oh, YEAH!!!!!...MUST have!".

But that was me. You, and others, may have an entirely different impression of it than than I did.

The power difference between a V7/V9 and the 1200 Triumph would be substantial, but I must admit that even at a relatively meager 52hp, my V7's performance is superb. The fuel-injected throttle response is out of proportion to it's 'paper specs', and the bike likes to be ridden with a little snap in your right wrist.

I generally use my V7 to ride our curvy and somewhat hilly, 45-70 mph, Black Hills two-lanes, a mission I feel the V7 is superb at, and I honestly couldn't be more pleased with it for that kind of riding.

My V7's engine redlines at an unusually low 6500 rpm, but I almost never feel any need to run it past 5000, and in casual riding, usually upshift it between 4000 and 4500. By the way, 4500 rpm in 6th runs it down the slab at about an indicated 75 mph (note: generally subtract 5 mph for actual speed on the highway). It will easily run 80 all day long if you want it to.

My fuel mileage has ranged from a 'new bike' low of 48, to almost 60 mpg. I don't doubt that, on an extended open highway run at a steady 60-70 mph, it would be capable of returning a consistent 60 mpg. Riding around the Black Hills on various roads and terrain, I can usually hit 200 miles before the low fuel light comes on, and even then there must be at least 50 miles left in it. Those 5.5 gallon tanks are nice things. I'm running only 91 octane non-ethanol gas in my bikes, which is plentiful in my area, though I'm sure the V7's run fine on 10 percent ethanol too.

We currently have five motorcycles, and among them, I wouldn't hesitate to use my V7 on an extended tour. I'd just go 'old' school', and fit it with a set of cordura soft bags and a tank bag, and take off for parts unknown on it.

Spoked, tubed, tires can 'suck the big one', but I grudgingly accept them on my 'retro' styled bikes, and both the Special and T120 have them, so that's a wash either way.

My 2017 V7 has 4000 miles on it, and hasn't had one 'issue' so far, it's ran perfectly.
IMG 20170511 103529829 HDR

Last edited:
Man, I wish I could afford both brother. Both are great looking bikes. Thanks for all the information, that helps a lot! Good to know you haven't had any problems. I had an Indian Scout and I loved it except for when it got to speed on the highway: it wobbled. Took it back many times to dealer and wasn't able to fix it. A shame, but a risk I was not willing to take and 3k more dollars I was not willing to spend on better tire, suspension etc.

I think John covered it well.
I have not ridden the T120 but have ridden the older 900 Bonny's, I liked them.
However after awhile I was kinda wishing for a radio or something to do.

Let me put it this way:
After riding any of the Guzzi's I have owned on an all day ride when it's time to stop for the day I always look back at the bike & look forward to the next ride. The Triumph & the Victory altho a great machine just never gave me that kind of addiction.

The Guzzi will probably be more friendly in town but the Triumph won't be a burden either.
I think the big factor that is in favor of the Triumph may be your height & weight.

Would be really great if you could get both brands out for a good long ride.

I'm 6'2" tall and have a 34" inseam and I'm comfortable on the V9 Bobber except for the very slightly padded 1x6 they call a seat. I bought a Corbin seat and it was a huge improvement, but locked me too far forward, so I've sent the seat back to Corbin and they are going to move the seating area back 2". I ride solo, so passenger room is not an issue. The motor and transmission on the V9 are "like buttah" and it handles good, too. I ride almost exclusively on curvy side roads and it always makes me smile.

My V7 III ?
I'm 6'2" tall and have a 34" inseam and I'm comfortable on the V9 Bobber except for the very slightly padded 1x6 they call a seat. I bought a Corbin seat and it was a huge improvement, but locked me too far forward, so I've sent the seat back to Corbin and they are going to move the seating area back 2". I ride solo, so passenger room is not an issue. The motor and transmission on the V9 are "like buttah" and it handles good, too. I ride almost exclusively on curvy side roads and it always makes me smile.

I haven't ridden a V9, but a friend bought a new Roamer last week, and he's already planning to replace the seat.

I'm old and fat, about 5'10", and my tender, worn out butt is easily offended by a lot of motorcycle seats, but have no complaints about my V7 III seat after 4000 miles perched on it.

Man this is a hard one but for me I would most probably go the Triumph.
I haven't looked into the HP or torque of the Trump compared to the guzzi but I think that the newer V7s are starting to look a little to modern or something.
To me if you look at both bikes the Triumph looks like a older style bike but this is just what it looks like to me..

Man this is a hard one but for me I would most probably go the Triumph.
I haven't looked into the HP or torque of the Trump compared to the guzzi but I think that the newer V7s are starting to look a little to modern or something.
To me if you look at both bikes the Triumph looks like a older style bike but this is just what it looks like to me..

Without looking it up, I would guess that the 1200cc Triumph T120 has about 25-30 more HP than the V7 III, and substantially more torque, but it's also about $3500 more than a Guzzi Special.

As I see it, the Triumph's T-series retro stylng is mid-1960's, while the V7 III Special's is mid-1970's, so they mimic different periods by about a decade.

By contrast, my Indian's form is in the postwar 1940's, to early 1950's.
IMG 20170624 133707

These things are all over the place, timewise.

In my opinion, if your head was in it you'd be looking an any one of a myriad of Jap bikes. They do some outstanding stuff these days. The 3 bikes mentioned are all heart bikes, which is fine in itself. Just be clear that none of those 3 models listed is the Hyundai of bikes.

As for me: I've been on bikes for 54 years now, I go with the heart - but I no longer commute/work. My last commuter was a Honda 125, and it was outstanding for that purpose - a head decision!

I commute everyday on a 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour bike.
Combination of back country roads & city traffic but only about 15 miles one way.

It just seems cruel to wake up one of the Italian girls for such a short ride.
Besides that in winter the heated hand grips & seat on the Vic feel real good on my old bones.
This year with all the rain the plastic out front & big windscreen have been really nice.

The Vic is my "head" bike & the Guzzi's the "Heart/Soul" bikes.

I've been a lurker for some time but thought I'd open my yap here.

I am not the "collector" type. One woman, one motorcycle etc. For me the heart wins. The V7 III is almost perfect in my eyes except for the plastic side covers and rear fender. I hate plastic body parts on a bike. I know, I'm a dinosaur.

I want to like the V9 Roamer, but am annoyed by a few things, such as the fuel tank shape and capacity, bizarre profile of the rear fender, forward foot peg position and crouched in the rear posture. I know, tough crowd right?! All of these things are easily repaired with money. I think it just cheaper to put a big bore kit in a V7 and place a steel/aluminum rear fender and that's it.

OK, back to lurking.

I have 2016 pre-restyle V9 Roamer. I simply love it - the feel, the sound, the style. It fits me.
But rear suspension has short travel and is very stiff and transfer all of road imperfections to the spine.
That is why I choose to ride on Honda CB1100EX, whenever I want or need more comfort.

Keep in mind that T120 will be more comfortable and less damaging to your back/neck on bumps and bad roads.
Just because of longer rear wheel travel.

If you go with your head you will always wonder and if you go with your heart you can alway tweak things to make it work for you.
You may have needed a spanner on the older bikes but these new ones from both camps are fine.
I'm 6'2" and have lower pegs and i had Todd send me some nice shocks for the rear. Perfect now.
I like the Triumph also but it is just a bit busy to look at and dosnt seem to be the same quality. Probably is but one is made in a factory in Thailand and the other basically by hand in Italy buy the oldest continually made Motorcycle brand in the world. I like that about the Guzzi. Triumph has more accessories available though. At the end of the day if it dosnt do it for you then what is the point??

This may be an unpopular opinion (surprise).

My V7 has been my 3rd Guzzi and has been the best one so far. It has not (knock on wood) let me down and I love it.

That said I hear/read enough horror stories (like oops that motor needs to be replaced it will be 3 months) and my first two Guzzis were troublesome enough to make me say:

"If you need to rely on a bike, only one, to say get to work and never let you down, get the Triumph".

I hope to always have a Guzzi in the garage, maybe two (it's better to have two as with a backup two Guzzis would rarely let you down at the same time).

But I feel way more comfortable with 1 Guzzi, 2 Harleys, and worst case scenario 1 Duc backing me up. And I say this as a guy who's worked at home and not commuted for more than a decade.

Now if you have a backup for work, and you only risk some recreation time, AND the Guzzi speaks to you, then DUH get the Guzzi.

I don't think anyone else can tell you how it will fit, how comfortable you'll be, etc. That's up to you to vet.

Anyway, good luck.... And I hope you don't wind up with the Triumph, but there are easily much worse fates.

Last edited:
Wow Kev, what were your other Guzzi's? and what were the problems you had?
The Triumph also has problems as do most new bikes when you start having a search. https://newbonnevilleriders.com/for...lse-had-these-problems-with-their-street-twin

Reader's Digest Version:

I've had 6 new Harleys on my life (from 93 to present) and none have been as problematic as my first two Guzzis.

Long story:

My BMWs (2 airheads and an Oilhead) were largely comparable to the Guzzis.

Guzzi 1 - 00 Jackal
Constant niggling problems. I won't hold a flat tire against it, but the second time it stranded me it was the ignition switch and I needed to make one on the side of the Blue Ridge Parkway. The list of problems included: Shocks leaked oil (before 10k miles), all hoses (fuel and oil) needed replacement by then too, regulator and starter also both failed (the ignition lock cylinder actually fell out too), chrome peeled from wheels, rear fender rusted completely through, electric petcock was wonky, turn signals broke, tail light broke physically and electrically. Rear main seal wept from the start. It's been 5-6 years now and I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Sold at 35k miles

Guzzi 2 - 06 Breva 1100
Fewer but bigger and more expensive problems. Motor pinged from day 1 (Todd fixed with $500 reflash, I'm grateful but it shouldn't have been needed), dash failed twice, clutch and slave cylinder failed, tank started to deform, and it was ridiculously hot, almost unrideable above 80°F ambient (were my V7, and hell even my Harleys transmit less heat to the rider).

This bike was out of the family by 20k miles.

In contrast my V7 at ~15k miles has really only "needed" a voltage regulator. Though some say I should replace the spark plug caps, I still haven't. And I needed to do some sorting (clutch routing, spark plug wire routing etc.). And it still has the cold idle stumble, but I'm willing to wait that out each day. And don't get me wrong I love my V7.

Last edited:
I absolutely love Triumph and Guzzi. I've owned multiple of each stable.

But...of my 3 Triumphs (Street, Speed, Tiger) and the many thousands of miles I clocked on each, I never had one issue.

My V7 on the other hand, which I adore is a little more temperamental and after 2000 miles and 6 months of ownership, she's in the garage, rear drive oil drained and waiting for more oil and a specific part to fix a leak. Nothing serious, but is 72f outside and I had to use the Camry to get around :(. If I don't sort her out, off to the dealer. Something I never ever did on my Triumphs.

The V7 to me is the best city bike you can have so if your riding consists of city mainly and you dont mind getting your hand dirty here and there, get the V7. If your riding is freeway and you rely absolutely on the bike, get the Triumph.

I have had V7's and they are nice. I had a 2012 and it needed sorted bad. I have ridin the new V7 III and it is worlds better. I Rode the V9 and I hated it. On paper the V7 makes almost the same power as the V9. The motor is so blah on the V9 verses the V7. Granted I only test ride both. I also Own a Triumph Bobber. It is an amazing bike. I have the Cranberry and silver. I changed the suspension, added bags, and put the V & H exhaust from Triumph on her. My gripe is the small tank. Other then that she is an amazing bike. I am lucky to also own a Audace. I must say she is also an amazing bike. I go back and forth on which bike to ride. A modern Guzzi is a fine bike. I do my own maintenance. She is easy to wrench on. Getting the rear wheel off can be tricky and more time consuming then the chain driven bikes. It is nice to not have to deal with a chain though. I don't think u can go wrong either way.

Attachments

• IMG_1821.JPG
    IMG_1821.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1616.JPG
    IMG_1616.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 25
Back