• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V9 Opinions

I did basely the same thing; paid for a 2017 V9 Roamer over the internet and hopped on a bus from Portland to Eugene Oregon met the dealer and road off... back to Portland. I have a V7 and love it, so the Roamer was like a beefed V7 to me, fun ride. Only problem I had was reading the speedometer, almost ran it out of gas on the way home. (On a side note: I'll be 63).
Cool, I just received mine and am ready to do the PDI, funny thing is the service manual is written in a way that random sections throughout are not translated in english. I thought there must be pages missing, but the numbers are sequential. I guess I'll be looking to the internet for help!

So first ride impressions, I was surprised there was no engine vibration. From what I'd read people made it sound like the motorcycle vibrated a lot due to the transverse engine. That couldn't be further from the truth. It does do a little side to side on the engine starting, but after that there is no vibrations at all. I was prepared for and actually looking forward to it, but of my 5 motorcycles it definitely is the smoothest, almost too smooth. Also notable was how quiet the exhaust was, adding to it's tame demeanor. The next thing that shocked me was how easy it is to ride, combined with upright chair like posture (American V9's did not get the pegs moved back, or at least mine didn't) the motorcycle felt very much like a scooter to me. Having never driven a scooter, it just gave me that feeling, as if anyone could ride it. It seems this would be the perfect motorcycle to move up to from a scooter I would think. So far I have to say it is a superb motorcycle, fit, finish, ride, etc. It seems a niche bike that won't please everyone, but if you like the looks of it, and want something that pretty much rides itself, I'd say it's totally worth its asking price. I feel with this motorcycle you can focus less on coercing the bike to do what you what it to, and instead focus more on the ride and whats around you, and just let the bike ride. Also to note, my shins did bump the cylinder heads right off the bat, as mine has the forward foot pegs, but it wasn't hard to just scoot a little back in my seat to avoid it, and I still could easily reach the handlebars and it still felt comfortable in that spot, and I'm sure that spot on the seat will just become second nature after a few rides. (this is with the original seat not the new upgraded one, and I'm 6'0"). I look forward to putting many miles on this bike, I'll report back after I have fully broken it in and have put it more to the test. **update** (Even though I keep scooting back in the seat I find myself banging my shins on gear shifts, looks like I'll have to move the shifter back)

Last edited:
Congrats on your new bike, Taz! FYI: My dealer had already installed the kit to move the foot pegs back before I bought it. I was told it's a free upgrade for bikes shipped with the original feet forward set.

Congrats on your new bike, Taz! FYI: My dealer had already installed the kit to move the foot pegs back before I bought it. I was told it's a free upgrade for bikes shipped with the original feet forward set.
Thanks, I heard in a couple places people got it free, but couldn't find any reference to it anywhere online and couldn't find anyway to apply for it, so I just ordered an aftermarket kit to move them back, it only moves them back 70mm vs the factory setup that moves them back 100mm. I hope it's enough because so far I'm loving the ride, and this minor fix should perfect it.

So first ride impressions, I was surprised there was no engine vibration. From what I'd read people made it sound like the motorcycle vibrated a lot due to the transverse engine. That couldn't be further from the truth. It does do a little side to side on the engine starting, but after that there is no vibrations at all. I was prepared for and actually looking forward to it, but of my 5 motorcycles it definitely is the smoothest, almost too smooth. Also notable was how quiet the exhaust was, adding to it's tame demeanor. The next thing that shocked me was how easy it is to ride, combined with upright chair like posture (American V9's did not get the pegs moved back, or at least mine didn't) the motorcycle felt very much like a scooter to me. Having never driven a scooter, it just gave me that feeling, as if anyone could ride it. It seems this would be the perfect motorcycle to move up to from a scooter I would think. So far I have to say it is a superb motorcycle, fit, finish, ride, etc. It seems a niche bike that won't please everyone, but if you like the looks of it, and want something that pretty much rides itself, I'd say it's totally worth its asking price. I feel with this motorcycle you can focus less on coercing the bike to do what you what it to, and instead focus more on the ride and whats around you, and just let the bike ride. Also to note, my shins did bump the cylinder heads right off the bat, as mine has the forward foot pegs, but it wasn't hard to just scoot a little back in my seat to avoid it, and I still could easily reach the handlebars and it still felt comfortable in that spot, and I'm sure that spot on the seat will just become second nature after a few rides. (this is with the original seat not the new upgraded one, and I'm 6'0"). I look forward to putting many miles on this bike, I'll report back after I have fully broken it in and have put it more to the test. **update** (Even though I keep scooting back in the seat I find myself banging my shins on gear shifts, looks like I'll have to move the shifter back)

I picked up a Roamer last week. It had the new machined aluminum pegs and shifters as well as the upgraded seat. Gives me good clearance from the cylinder heads (I'm 6'2"). This is my first bike. Do they all make a solid clunk when you shift?

Bikes have a "constant mesh" but not a "synchromesh" tx, so yes, they mostly do clunk a little. Some are better than others of course. My 79 model R100RS (4 speed box) Beemer had me looking for the cogs on the road under the bike, whereas my 81 model (5 speed box) was quite ok - relatively!

If you want a transmission that really goes CLUNK try a Victory sometime.
Great bike but the trannys are embarassing.

Also keep in mind that the tranny loosens up with miles. It'll be much smoother after the first service at 1000k. Still a satisfying clunk to let you know you're in first, but the shifts are easier and more positive.

I picked up a Roamer last week. It had the new machined aluminum pegs and shifters as well as the upgraded seat. Gives me good clearance from the cylinder heads (I'm 6'2"). This is my first bike. Do they all make a solid clunk when you shift?
Awesome, hope you enjoy it, you must have the 2018 model, it comes with those two upgrades. And yes the clunk is norma as its a shafty, there is another forum where four other v9 riders had the same noise, along with the clunk when you let go of the clutch in first. I really like it, its a satisfying sound that lets me know I've made the gear switch, however, going from neutral to first there is no feedback, so I've found a few times I thought I got it in first only to be still in neutral ;) I'm loving the ride with my new peg position, no more bumping the cylinders, I just have to get used to them being a little further out to the sides now, as they had to widen some as the muffler widened the further back they go, I'm not sure if the new factory set up is further out as well, or just my aftermarket setup.

I've had my V9 a couple months and absolutely love the bike.
About the machined aluminum "Euro-fit" foot pegs; my bike has them but the brake switch is nowhere close to contacting. So the brake light stays illuminated. Is there a different brake switch to be used with these?

For now I've I just disconnected the rear switch but it bothers me only having the front switch.

Last edited:
I've had my V9 a couple months and absolutely love the bike.
About the machined aluminum "Euro-fit" foot pegs; my bike has them but the brake switch is nowhere close to contacting. So the brake light stays illuminated. Is there a different brake switch to be used with these?

For now I've I just disconnected the rear switch but it bothers me only having the front switch.
My V9 had the euro kit installed from day one and my rear brake doesn't activate the brake light.

20170902 145952 20170905 135155
Just got back from a 1000 mile trip on my V9. The bike handled great on the highway, and had plenty of passing power when I needed it. The seat got a little uncomfortable after a while, but I don't find it as bad as other people seem to. The Dart screen I installed reduced my body fatigue at freeway speeds quite a bit, although it made the turbulence/noise under my helmet worse. I even took the bike through a shallow creek crossing over a dirt road, which was probably not the best idea, but the bike is light enough and has enough ground clearance that you can do it, if you don't mind getting your boots wet.

The only quirk about the bike that absolutely annoyed the crap out of me was the high-beam indicator that, as other people have pointed out, is so bright you almost see better with the high-beam off. What I would love to do is solder a resistor in series with just that LED. Has anyone else taken apart their speedo to know if those wires are easily accessible?

What I would love to do is solder a resistor in series with just that LED. Has anyone else taken apart their speedo to know if those wires are easily accessible?
You might get some joy that way, but you'll cut the life of he LED short. LEDs can only be dimmed properly with pulse width modulation. Quite easy to do - Google is your friend.

View attachment 13359 View attachment 13360
Just got back from a 1000 mile trip on my V9. The bike handled great on the highway, and had plenty of passing power when I needed it. The seat got a little uncomfortable after a while, but I don't find it as bad as other people seem to. The Dart screen I installed reduced my body fatigue at freeway speeds quite a bit, although it made the turbulence/noise under my helmet worse. I even took the bike through a shallow creek crossing over a dirt road, which was probably not the best idea, but the bike is light enough and has enough ground clearance that you can do it, if you don't mind getting your boots wet.

The only quirk about the bike that absolutely annoyed the crap out of me was the high-beam indicator that, as other people have pointed out, is so bright you almost see better with the high-beam off. What I would love to do is solder a resistor in series with just that LED. Has anyone else taken apart their speedo to know if those wires are easily accessible?

Hi! What engine guards are on your bike and why did you choose them (not others)?

Hi! What engine guards are on your bike and why did you choose them (not others)?
They are the Givi TN8202 Crash Bars. I liked them because I thought they were less obtrusive than other designs that wrapped around the cylinder heads, or came up over the pipes. They're also the same brand as my cargo rack and luggage.

You might get some joy that way, but you'll cut the life of he LED short. LEDs can only be dimmed properly with pulse width modulation. Quite easy to do - Google is your friend.
Thanks for the tip, I wasn't aware that running an LED at lower voltage could shorten its life. I'll look into it.

I'm new to motorcycling and I notice I sometimes get a POP when I blip the throttle to downshift. Am I doing something wrong? Or is this normal? It kind of sounds cool but I don't want to hurt my bike. My cousin assures me it's not a backfire and that its nothing to worry about. Any advice would be appreciated!

I'm new to motorcycling and I notice I sometimes get a POP when I blip the throttle to downshift. Am I doing something wrong? Or is this normal? It kind of sounds cool but I don't want to hurt my bike. My cousin assures me it's not a backfire and that its nothing to worry about. Any advice would be appreciated!

I'm going to assume that there are no modifications done to your bike.

All new bikes run lean from the factory.
The pop you are hearing is a result of the factory settings.
The factory settings can lead to a decreased life span of the bike due to higher heat levels.
It can be corrected & you can learn how by searching this forum or emailing todd at guzzitech.com
If your bike has had exhaust or air box modifications you really need to 'fix" the fueling.

One other thing is that you don't really need to blip the throttle to downshift.
You can learn when to downshift by letting off the throttle & learning when to down shift at the proper speed.

I'm going to assume that there are no modifications done to your bike.

All new bikes run lean from the factory.
The pop you are hearing is a result of the factory settings.
The factory settings can lead to a decreased life span of the bike due to higher heat levels.
It can be corrected & you can learn how by searching this forum or emailing todd at guzzitech.com
If your bike has had exhaust or air box modifications you really need to 'fix" the fueling.

One other thing is that you don't really need to blip the throttle to downshift.
You can learn when to downshift by letting off the throttle & learning when to down shift at the proper speed.

Thanks very much! What key words should I use to search?

"Do they all make a solid clunk when you shift?"

Mine (V9 Bobber) does when underway, up and down shifts. Not a very loud clunk, more of a Tonk! sound, or Donk! lol. Of course, I've now just got 100 miles on it. The transmission is very precise tho.

Two weird but good things I've experienced: It's a bit faster than the spec sheet would lead you to believe. Also, that seat -- which screamed turture conveyance the first time I sat on it -- has turned out to be surprisingly comfortable for me. Very weird.

As for handling. Now I've had it in the twisties for two rides, one in the wet. I only got bent out of shape on an exit ramp. It was definitely the motor scooter ergos freaking me out. The bike was fine. Going up Laurel Canyon (which I call "Beirut with old hippies" because of the abominable condition of the road, and the hippies) I pushed it a bit in the wet and it was OK. That big tire does really soak up the bumps. But the bike kept its composure.

Not a lot of feedback from the front end.

Back