• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

The Good Oil

Hi guys, I've been researching the Amsoil 10w60, and I'm almost convinced that it could be a alternative to the Eni 10w60. Here's a few photos of the specs. My bike is a 2012 Griso 8 V, which I'm planning to rollerize this winter. IMG 20170905 081420 IMG 20170905 082020
The Amsoil website also states that this oil is "recommend in place of Motorex Cross power 4T.JASO MA, API SG, SJ, SH, SL."

Last edited:
As I stated before I contacted Amsoil and they recommended the SAE 60wt V-Twin oil. I broke down and decided to try it. Primarily to see if I could gain another mpg. It didn't. It appears to pour easier at room temperature than the Agip 10w-60. My bike seems to run fine on it. I also switched the transmission to Amsoil 75-90 Severe Gear which is what I ran in the 2007 Norge I had. The CARC still has Agip.

As I stated before I contacted Amsoil and they recommended the SAE 60wt V-Twin oil. I broke down and decided to try it. Primarily to see if I could gain another mpg. It didn't. It appears to pour easier at room temperature than the Agip 10w-60. My bike seems to run fine on it. I also switched the transmission to Amsoil 75-90 Severe Gear which is what I ran in the 2007 Norge I had. The CARC still has Agip.

I've also contacted Amsoil, but I'm waiting for a reply. I'll let you know if they say the same thing. I'm also going to try the 80w90 gear oil. Do you know why MG recommends 80w90 in the CARC, and 85w90 in the gear box? IMG 20170904 205724

I've also contacted Amsoil, but I'm waiting for a reply. I'll let you know if they say the same thing. I'm also going to try the 80w90 gear oil. Do you know why MG recommends 80w90 in the CARC, and 85w90 in the gear box? View attachment 13358
I have no idea why the difference in the CARC but AMsoil recommended the 75-90 Severe Gear in the gearbox. In my opinion it shifts much better than the Agip.

One is GL4 and the other is GL5. Carc is GL4. That is really the only difference since the change in viscosity is negligible. I also use Amsoil 75-90 in the gear box as do many others but stay with the eni in the carc. Why....because I can get it. The 85W90 is harder to come buy where I shop. Many use the 75w90 GL5 in both without issue but I have not taken that step.

I don't know if there is any yellow metal in the carc (ie. brass, bronze, copper) which is what GL4 is spec'd for as the adhesion is less on the gears. GL5 has better wear protection, but it is the yellow metal that is the issue with GL5. It will start to chew it up.

One of the problems I have being from a smaller centre is availability. I live in a city of a hundred thousand people and Eni oil is unheard of. I basically have a choice of amsoil or royal purple. I was looking at Shell oil they have a synthetic oil that the base oil is made from natural gas. Anyhow I could not get that one either. My choice came down to availability. I am not a big Internet mail order guy.

This is a little off to the side but ...
Whilst it most probably won't hurt anything, the JASO MA, MA1, MA2 standards recommended for motorcycles aren't required for the Gutz, thereby opening up a much wider range of available oils. Those 3 particular JASO standards are for wet clutches and for a tx lubricated by the engine oil. Any fully synthetic motor oil of the correct weight is a possibility for the Gutz. Even the new "energy conserving" oils are OK - they're the ones which can ruin a clutch. Choose your poison!

I am a fan of Motul 7100 4T 10x60 Full Syn. To that I add Archoil AR9100 Nanoborate Friction Modifier. I saw this product on one of Jay Leno's Garage episodes in which he had the CEO/Founder of the firm go into the details. I figured if Jay used it in his rides then I might give it a try. The engine & especially the tranmission seem happy. So much so, I am going to try it out on my BMW R80 as well.

Archoil AR9100 Nanoborate Friction Modifier

Just completed a third oil change. Could not find the recommenced Guzzi Italian oil here in Victoria Canada, decided to use Castrol 10W60 TWS Edge. This time I meticulously filled and checked oil dipstick level, only used 3.5 liters was expecting to use 4 liters. Tomorrow planning a long run with dipstick checks along the way, still wondering about the other half liter that the manual calls for.

Its in the oil cooler. If you put in 4 litres it ends up in the air box.

Back