• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva Sport 1100 2V or, 1200 4V... Which to buy?

dugr

Just got it firing!
I'm looking for a Breva Sport, 1100 2V or, 1200 4V. I know the 2V's run out of breathing room quickly in the upper revs but, have more low-end torque. Other than those differences (which, are negligible to me), are there other reasons for one bike over the other, or VIN's to avoid? This is not my first Guzzi rodeo.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Dugr,

The 1200 2V can be made to not run out of breath, as can the 4V - go the 1200 either way, though if you get a 4V, make sure you get a roller conversion or get it funded through a good discount. All the 4Vs had the A7 (flat tappet) engines. If a 4V, low mileage is a must if it's still on flat tappets - engine rebuilds can be expensive.

Good luck

Tony, Thanks for the info. Low miles are a subjective thing. In this case how low is low? Do you know who makes quality roller conversions? Am I correct in assuming assuming this means cams too? If so, while I'm changing cams, are there any cams with better profiles available? As far as making a 2V breath... I believe... if I want another fast bike, I'll buy a Aprillia. I love Italian bikes, in all flavors!

Dugr, it's a known fact that the DLC on the flat tappets is crap and WILL fail at some point. If you can see the wear, it's already doing damage - the earlier it is found, the more likelihood of less damage. The 2V engines do not suffer this malignment.

The cams are not changed, just the rocker gear, shims (sometimes) and associated bits and bobs. As far as I am aware there are no "off the shelf" cam upgrades for the A7 engine.

In the early days of the A2 engine (2V, 1200) there was a series of Stages available. Stage 1 was the only one ever to see the light of day and consisted or 2 into 2 exhaust (Lafranconi) velocity stacks and a special ECU. Stage 3 was to be a cam upgrade. Pure marketing I reckon, no substance for Stages 2 or 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony, Thank you again for the info. Regarding mileage, I was only looking at it as reference point for purchase, not a "I can put it off longer". I've built my fair share of engines, just not Guzzi. DLC is a new acronym for me that I'll have to look up.

I marvel at the marketing terms such as "Stage 1, 2, etc..." Harley-Davidson has capitalized well on these terms and their buyers are proud that they have a Stage "X" kit in their bike, without a clue about what it is. I guess few can read rpm, torque and hp graphs and understand they mean. My favorite thing about Harley-Davidson's are the myriad of parts and aftermarket parts available. That said, it's not Italian!

Your information has been invaluable to me in my search for yet another Guzzi!

I'm looking for a Breva Sport, 1100 2V or, 1200 4V. I know the 2V's run out of breathing room quickly in the upper revs but, have more low-end torque. Other than those differences (which, are negligible to me), are there other reasons for one bike over the other, or VIN's to avoid? This is not my first Guzzi rodeo.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Dug
Its all relative but I run out of breath long before my 1100 2V Breva does......
My local Garage Motorcycles just tweaked the tuning for more grunt out of corners , and its great . no need to rev its head off 5 -6 is all you need - just change up a gear and away we go again ! - its all std Breva bar one of Todds exhaust X over instead of the hot cat.
Have you taken a decent Griso for a good ride ? Now that is fun ! Also available in 2V or 4V ........
dave

My vote is 1200 2V Sport, but I am bias.

I ditched the stock bars, have both the Sport seat with tail cowl and a Norge seat. and will maybe look at Breva/Norge pegs one day.
Toured from one end of New Zealand to the other and everywhere in between and apart from a few puncture has never missed a beat, and as a bonus its a breeze to service.
What more could you want?

I'm biased because I have a 2V. If you are happy with the level of performance, they are an OK bike. What lets mine down isn't the go (although my Japanese 1200s go much better) but rather the poor rear suspension. If you are a heavy bloke like me and or carry luggage the rear shock is very undersprung and underdamped. Raked out as a result when riding. Fixable but should be right from the factory in a 'premium' bike...

Due to my ignorance on the CARC series, I wasn't aware the 1200 2V was an available option. In the states, the Breva was a short run with 2006-2008 (I believe). Is there a VIN or engine series to identify the 1200 2V or, valve cover design difference?

Performance wise... I've owned fast bikes and other Guzzi's. I like the grunt the Guzzi's offer and general ride comfort without being a barcalounger on wheels.

I have tried to explain to non-Guzzi folks that these have never been a "fast" machine, especially if they are thinking 1/4 mile.

For me the thing that always impressed me especially in the early '70's was that I could run 80 mph all day long & not worry about curves.

In the '70's I go so tired of people wanting to race me that I had a speech prepared for them that went sorta like this:
"You want to race"?
"Yeah"
"OK but I get to call the rules,OK"?
"Uh, well yeah, ok".
"Cool, you need to go home & get your camping gear".
"Camp gear"?
"MMMM, yup. Were gonna race the Guzzi way so be here by 7am loaded & ready to go.
We'll head south on the parkway to the ferry, cross over to Delaware, hit Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsy to the Tappan Zee bridge then home.
The camp gear is in case you can't keep up & need a rest".

Trout, I guess everyone needs to have rant now and then. Don'the know who the audience was for that one. As I say... If you want a fast bike, buy a fast bikes. It's cheaper than trying to make a Guzzi's fast.

I have tried to explain to non-Guzzi folks that these have never been a "fast" machine, especially if they are thinking 1/4 mile.
For me the thing that always impressed me especially in the early '70's was that I could run 80 mph all day long & not worry about curves.
That is the thing too. As far as I know the early Guzzis were properly set up. I've ridden Mk2 Lemans 850 Mk5 Lemans 1000, 1000 Strada,and 1100 California, and compared to the 'new' Guzzis I have ridden (Breva 750 and 850 (particularly yuk!) and 2 X Sport 1200) they seem a different kettle of fish. The earlies have something special the late ones don't. I would really like a 1000S but the price asked is DOUBLE what you can get a 1200 Sport for. Hmmm. The new ones do have a great gearbox though. Fave Guzzi I have ridden is the Mk2 Lemans. 1978 (looks like a Mk1 the one i ride)- it is such a nice bike for a 40 year old. :)

Gorgeous Sport! Is that a 2V? If so, I believe that's what I'm looking for.

I considered a V11 Sport and would still like to have one in the garage for fun jaunts.

I agree, many newer bikes have a more sterile feel. But, that's some of the trade offs for better handling and smooth power bands. The quirkyness or, personality is disappearing.

My FJR1300 handled great at 95+ mph going through long sweepers. The faster I went, the more stable it felt My Bassa would get unsettled at 80 on the same road. That said, I don't miss the FJR.

Yes mine is a 2V. It is a pretty critter. I'm somewhat torn on how much i like it. Spolied Jap bike rider. :) Will see how much i like it after I do suspension mods. I am fortunate that I own quite a few bikes (which I use for work also as a motorcycle instructor) so I am able to make comparisons. Strangely my fave bike that i own is an old GT550 Kawasaki - wobbly old slow thing that is so nice to ride. It is closely followed by my GPZ900R which is such a capable bike for its age- reminds me of early Guzzis to ride- stable as.

I agree, the old bikes have their charm too. I had a chance to hop on a Yamaha RD350 not too long ago and it brought a big smile on my face, harkening back to my youth. I still love the smell, sound and peaky bandwidth of a 2 cycle with chambers. Torque? Who needs torque! Nothing like a 300lb wheelie machine... and those high speed wobbles that make your lower-end flinch. Nothing like a cat on crack!

After a little more research I now recognise the valve cover differences between the 1200 2V and 4/8V engines. Now, I just need to go ride a 1200 Sport to see if my affinity with them is all I hoped it to be.

Post your suspension mods when you get it sorted out.

I'm biased because I have a 2V. If you are happy with the level of performance, they are an OK bike. What lets mine down isn't the go (although my Japanese 1200s go much better) but rather the poor rear suspension. If you are a heavy bloke like me and or carry luggage the rear shock is very undersprung and underdamped. Raked out as a result when riding. Fixable but should be right from the factory in a 'premium' bike...

I found my sport too soft , fitted the Hyperpro springs front and back ....handles like a dream now.
I'm 100kg and pillion was slightly more and I love having her on the back because it handles so well even upto the edges of the tires!!!

I found my sport too soft , fitted the Hyperpro springs front and back ....handles like a dream now.
I'm 100kg and pillion was slightly more and I love having her on the back because it handles so well even upto the edges of the tires!!!
Good info... I'm packing about the same myself. Is your pillion comfortable? Sometimes we clock 400-500 mile days. Are you still using the factory rear shock?

The one feature I enjoyed on my FJR1300ES was the electronic controlled suspension. It allowed me to adjust the preload compression and rebound damping on the front and rear suspension with the flick of a switch. When I road alone and wanted to ride aggressively through some twisties, I would adjust the rear preload higher to change the geometry. It did make it surprisingly more nimble. Well... as nimble as you can make a 650 lbs bike. Unfortunately, as refined as it was, I didn't enjoy it.

What I'm looking for in my next Guzzi is something I can (comfortably) ride all day two-up. Yet, something still agile enough for around town and an occasional romp through the hills, without all the wind protection and plastic of a Norge. I think a Breva may be a good fit.

Back