• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil around button right side under head, please advise

Should have been a separate thread. Seems to be a front seal or something above where the two halves of the block are joined. Since this bike is new and under warranty get to a dealer for repair under warranty.

Looks like the OP ran away from this thread. My guess he over filled the transmission.

I tell people all the time these bikes are not for new riders who have not yet developed mechanical skills.

The problem being most Jap bikes for example only require a simple oil change and people just never develop common sense mechanical skills which are required on HD's, BMW's and Guzzi's.

Thank God by the time I got to my V7, I previously owned BMW's and HD's which gave me the skills to stay on top of my V7 when I owned it.

New rider with limited mechanical skills buying one of these bikes will never end well. Unless you depend on shops to do everything which will be about like buying the bike again.

Last edited:
I'll make a separate thread about my suspected leak. But without knowing I assume that correcting it (my problem) could involve changing gasket for the front cover. If I had a garage where the bike could be partly dismantled for days I could probably do it, but I dont. I live downtown in an old city and would like to be able to enjoy the Guzzi w/o having a workshop of my own.

If involves just tightening some bolts I'll do it, I was posting here in hope that someone have seen a similar problem and knows what to do.

Skarmavbild 2017 09 11 kl 130600

I'll make a separate thread about my suspected leak. But without knowing I assume that correcting it (my problem) could involve changing gasket for the front cover. If I had a garage where the bike could be partly dismantled for days I could probably do it, but I dont. I live downtown in an old city and would like to be able to enjoy the Guzzi w/o having a workshop of my own.

If involves just tightening some bolts I'll do it, I was posting here in hope that someone have seen a similar problem and knows what to do.

View attachment 13387
The problem with that front seal was posted on here before. The first year with the wet alternator did present a few leaks from memory. I think it was a case of tightening and or replacing that seal. I also think a wire harness seal had caused issues exiting that front cover.

Live near the OP and this bike belong to me 2 buyers back. Turn out the forward transmission seal leaking into bell housing. The motor will need pulled, casing split. Big job. Hate to see my old bike suffer such tragedy. Just glad I dodge the frocking bullet.

Bikes got about 23,000 miles on it.

View attachment 13387

ya, your situation looks similar to what I had...

my front seal was leaking too through the hole where the rectifier wires were feeding in.

if the seal started to go, best is to re-seal them properly....sometimes tighten the bolts help, but personally I had them fixed properly.

If your bike is under warranty, bring back to deal and have them fix it....

and yes, your leak is different from the OP.

The problem with that front seal was posted on here before. The first year with the wet alternator did present a few leaks from memory. I think it was a case of tightening and or replacing that seal. I also think a wire harness seal had caused issues exiting that front cover.

ya, this is exactly my issued is with the wire harness seal not sealed up properly.

ok, first thanks for the all the info here. Second, didn't scare me off, was sick (still a bit.) Back now, so more info.

elkgrichard came by to have a look. It's gear oil by smell. I haven't noticed any leaking on the bottom. Yes, the oil is on top, and on the other side, now that I look more closely. It's a very thin film, not at all heavy or drippy.

One theory is that gear oil is coming in through the seal and getting whipped around in the bell housing, and being force through the joins in the housing and the inspection port.

I popped the little button cover of the inspect port, and managed to push it all the way into the bell housing when replacing. Need to order another one.

Now, back to the leak. The gear oil is 90 full syn. I might change to a dino oil to slow it down, as the syn might be getting around the seal. I'll give it a good clean, ride and test and see where I'm at. That might take a bit, but I promise I'll post back when that test is done.

Note, I took off the gear oil cap, bike level, and maybe a teaspoon came out. I'm guessing that alone wasn't enough to blow the seal, but I'm not 100% on that.

Bike continues to ride nicely, no clutch slipping. I'm even riding with the inspection hold uncovered. (I'm pretty sure that cover pushed in got munched up in there.)

Just curious, was going to wash the bike and the engine, and think I should get the inspection cover replacement first, water in there is probably not good, eh?

Thanks again for the all help and info.

So I can order properly, anyone know the part number for the inspection hole cover for a 2013 v7

Be careful when washing it. It's not a car, don't want to get water in a electrical connection or where you don't want it. Next post will be washed bike now wouldn't start lol.

Be careful when washing it. It's not a car, don't want to get water in a electrical connection or where you don't want it. Next post will be washed bike now wouldn't start lol.

2nd on careful when watching it.

If anything, get a tape to cover up the hole up before washing it...and sprinkles is all you need with some good degreaser that doesn't not damage electrical and plastic.

S100 is what I use.

ok, when I change the gear oil, is it ok if the front wheel is 2-3 inches above the ground in a front wheel stand? The bike would be level side to side. And, as I understand, I should fill until it's filled up to the opening, and no more. Or perhaps it should be less? What does experience say? I've been told some horror stories about filling on the side stand, or getting bad numbers from the manual.

ok, when I change the gear oil, is it ok if the front wheel is 2-3 inches above the ground in a front wheel stand? The bike would be level side to side. And, as I understand, I should fill until it's filled up to the opening, and no more. Or perhaps it should be less? What does experience say? I've been told some horror stories about filling on the side stand, or getting bad numbers from the manual.

Whatever you do, don't do less...

there are enough horror stories around the forums with the tech adding too little gear box oil and caused the throw out bearing not getting properly lubricated...

follow the book I would say

some say the book is wrong or misleading, have followed it with problems. Some people say too much will blow the seals; now you say don't under fill and I'll have other problems. Perhaps this isn't the right bike for me.........

Also, I'm not 100% sure this is gear oil, ugh.

some say the book is wrong or misleading, have followed it with problems. Some people say too much will blow the seals; now you say don't under fill and I'll have other problems. Perhaps this isn't the right bike for me.........

Also, I'm not 100% sure this is gear oil, ugh.

Don't worry about a slight under fill. It was common practice to fill the big block 5 speed gearbox 50cc under specification to prevent venting issues. Believe me the gears sling so much oil around everything gets well lubricated.

Current plan, before I do anything major, (since I don't know if it's engine oil, or gear oil, for sure,) I cleaned it. Now there's no oil on the engine. I replaced the plug, and now I'll watch it. Interesting thing is that neither the engine oil nor the gear oil seem to be under filled. I replace the engine oil, and with the extended sump, got it just right. And when I opened the gear oil cap, about a teaspoon came out, looking clear and healthy.

Back