• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso 1100 - valve cover silicon gasket

Matias

Tuned and Synch'ed
Dear all,

After having several original gaskets blown (they are changed in service but they don't hold time enough till the next service...), I decided to try the silicon ones, produced by Real Gasket.

I just received them today and noticed they recommend torquing to 10-15 pound.inch (less than 2 Nm), which is way less than the torque recommended for the original gaskets (10 Nm). I expected it to be less, but not that much.....

What is your experience with these gaskets? Is 2 Nm enough to keep the oil in? Don't the bolts tend to get loose with the vibration (with such small torque)?

Thanks in advance for your inputs..
Matias

I have never used them but there seems to be those who love them & those that don't.
What I have read is you should use the lower torque & re-tighten if needed. Too tight on first install causes leaks.

I'm not a fan of the Real Gaskets. Yes they do need the much lower torque. If you use the higher torque, you will cut them and a leak will appear. My preference is to use the older 1100 gasket Moto Guzzi part number 14023760. These are not paper thin and do not have the little bead of goo on them. Coat both sides of the gasket with grease and just use a T handle and finger pressure to tighten. These may be re-used many time.

What John said and yes they do cut easily.

Thanks John I haven't tried the grease coat yet. I will on my next valve adjustment.

Thanks guys.
This is a problem I have to sort out....until know it only happened while I was riding near home, but the idea that it can happen while your are travelling upsets me...
I could not find the green ones on the local dealer, so I decided to give these ones a try....but they do feel a little rubbery....
I also read somewhere about a gasket with a metal core....Has anyone ever tried one of these?

Thanks again...

Matias, the part number I gave you is a part number the dealer should stock. If not in stock he should order a bunch of them.

The older gasket John refers to was used on all the older square finned engines. A smear of grease both sides, tightened diagonally and gently and they can be used time and time again.

Put a little loctite on threads when screwing down tappet cover as they can work loose . Don't over tighten. I have had these for a long time with no problems.

Tried a set of the silicone gaskets on my V7 and apparently over-tightened. They shredded and started leaking right away. Others have had better luck with proper torque but I went back to stock. Definitely follow the recommended torque.

And make sure all surfaces and gasket are wiped perfectly dry with a solvent of some sort.

There is a bit of pissing around to get them to fit correctly. I put the gasket on the cover first and fit all the cap screws in to hold it in place. I don,t use a torque wrench anymore just tighten evenly holding the short end of a Allen Key and as Kiwi Croc said a little loctite blue on screws wont hurt either.

I have also been using Real Gaskets for a long time but maybe they only work in New Zealand !

I'm actually surprised to hear that people have problems with the valve cover gasket. I've never even given my gaskets a thought because they've never caused a problem for the 5.5 years I've ridden my Griso (going on 28,000+ miles now). I even check my valve clearances twice a year, and have never had to replace my gaskets. I only wipe off the mating surfaces if there's dirt/dust present. If all I see is oil, I don't bother to wipe them down. Were the 2007 gaskets more robust?

The older gaskets seem to have been more robust.
I use the silicone Real Gaskets on two Guzzi's. I have not had an issue, I am totally happy with them, but they are sensitive to over tightening. It takes very little torque with them and Loctite is a good idea.

Hi guys,

I just wanted to make an update to this thread.
After a year and some thousands of kms I declare that I am now a fan of the silicon gaskets.
I have already openned the valve covers twice and re-used them without any problems whatsoever...
I wash them with warm water and soap, clean the cover and cylinder head surfaces, and make the cover bolts finger tight. I am not using any kind of thread locking products and I haven't noticed that the bolts get loose.
Also no leaking at all.

I highly recommend them.

All the best,
Matias

Matias
Thanks for checking back in after a year with your experience. Makes the thread more valuable.
I have just ordered up silicone gaskets for my 3 MGs. When you go to a dealer, as I have, and he says "We can order them in for you", you know he is not trying too hard to support the brand.
I will use my torque wrench till I get a good feel for this.
Back in the 80s I can't remember ever replacing these gaskets, now they stick and break occasionally.
Good upgrade!

I will use my torque wrench till I get a good feel for this.

Leave the torque wrench in the box. Just over finger tight for the silicone gaskets. If you want gaskets that don't tear, MG cycle stocks some good heavy duty ones. Those are the ones I use, but I'm not sure if they are available for the 4 valve head bikes.

Finger tight is a pretty vague description, especially when using an Allen key. 10-16 in/lbs is recommended by the makers of the gaskets.
I will use those numbers to educate my fingers, before I rely on them.

Back