• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Is it normal that I have to warm up my V7II 2016?

Have you confirmed that you have the latest map for V7 II?

Mine came delivered from the dealer with out-of-date map and had same symptoms you (and many others) have described. At first service -- at a different dealer -- the new map solved that.

I THINK the new one is 756, but my wife, who is stamping her foot in that do-not-ignore-me way, says it is time to hike (we are in the Cinque Terre). If I survive, I'll see if I can find the number. ;)

Bill

If you dont have a friend who can loan your their laptop for an hour or so why not use Boot Camp thats already on your MAC, I am mainly a MAC person and use VMware to jump across platforms, I know it works with that

there are plenty of users who are actually happy with it... if you read the entire forum maybe
Don't have to read when I have experience.
"Happy" is a relative term, maybe my expectations are a little higher about a bikes performance & longevity due to proper tuning.

in the end it is your bike & your wallet do what ever works best for you.

Have you confirmed that you have the latest map for V7 II?

Mine came delivered from the dealer with out-of-date map and had same symptoms you (and many others) have described. At first service -- at a different dealer -- the new map solved that.

I THINK the new one is 756, but my wife, who is stamping her foot in that do-not-ignore-me way, says it is time to hike (we are in the Cinque Terre). If I survive, I'll see if I can find the number. ;)

Bill
Latest fuel map for V7II is 4533V796 according to my dealer.

Why should you need the latest fuel map from Moto Guzzi? If they couldn't get it right the first time but used it anyway what do they figure out every so often since the last one? Does Guzzitech change his maps every so often so he can sell them again? Not that I know of he does it the right way before he sells it to the consumer.

Why should you need the latest fuel map from Moto Guzzi? If they couldn't get it right the first time but used it anyway what do they figure out every so often since the last one? Does Guzzitech change his maps every so often so he can sell them again? Not that I know of he does it the right way before he sells it to the consumer.
Because, usually, the new one is better that the old one. There are some many parameters, factors, and use situations that there probably isn't a "right" for everyone. I'm sure that MG and GT collect feedback and make adjustments from time to time.

Oh the WAG.
Factory maps have Euro emissions restraints. Period. Factory updates are usually timing related in hopes to make bikes somewhat rideable. The fuel maps are (almost always) untouched.
My maps are built on almost three decades of fueling (and almost two of Guzzi) knowledge, on a dyno using air/fuel data. There is no 'one size fits all' map, as every engine is different, but the crude mapping tables on most factory ECUs only allows broad brush corrections.
I say this all the time... the fact that the factory can make them run at all with the A/F emission constraints is a small miracle.

Take 5 minutes extra and warm up the bike, it will thank you later!
I roll my bike out of the garage, start it up, put my jacket/helmet/gloves on and it's always ready to go.

ECU flash tool from Todd is an excellent investment for your bike!

+1 on the recommendations for Todd's reflash tool. I had problems like the OP describes; reflash fixed it and made the bike all around better. Exceeded my expectations. After a few thousand miles on the upgrade I haven't second guessed it once.

Also, I'm new to Guzzi but Todd seems to be the only dude in the world making top shelf well engineered stuff for us. Happy to support that. Selfishly I want him to be around when I'm ready for the 4v 820 upgrade :)

What the OP describes in his first post is not normal. He should get his dealer to look at the bike.
Yes, V7lls are a bit rough for the first few minutes after startup, and aren't the smoothest in stop/start traffic, but it shouldn't be stalling.
That said, Todd's map does, according to the accounts of those who've bought it, make a significant difference. The OP should try it, but only after he's been to his dealer.

Seems like a bunch of youngsters! Has no one else run a car with a carborator? Back in the day you let them warm up as well and if not they coughed as well. My suggestion is to start by spending time not money especially if after you have taken in out stop at a store for awhile and you are happy with the proformance. Let it warm up before you head out. Next step if you are going to buy aftermarket buy which ever system you think is the best one always cheaper that way than buying it the second time around.

OK, what am I missing here. I have owned far to many cars and trucks in my life and never have I had to wait for it to "warm up". OK, in northern Alberta when it's 30 below zero wait for 5 minutes for warm up. But that's it.

I've have owned a 1979 Ducati Darmah 900 SD. a 1980 Kawasaki KZ1000. a 1995 Kawasaki KLR650 and a Honda 250 of unknown age ond pedigree and have never had to wait for any of them to warm up. Just fire up and go.

Perhaps the issue is Moto Guzzi, perhaps not, but this seems very strange to me.

I am looking at getting a Moto Guzzi V7 II or V7 III, but I do NOT want to buy a new motorcycle and then have to spend $500 plus to make it run well. That's just outright thievery.

Maya

strange thing, now that it's winter I don't have this problem anymore... I wonder if was due to the opposite... too hot make gas evaporate?? who knows

I am looking at getting a Moto Guzzi V7 II or V7 III, but I do NOT want to buy a new motorcycle and then have to spend $500 plus to make it run well. That's just outright thievery.
I'll try to not take offense to that last part with the simple fact that this is a ultra-miniscule brand that I have chose to focus on, and my $ investment to do it outside of my valuable time was huge, so it's return on investment proposition that I face. $495 is as cheap as I can do it knowing that a huge portion of that goes to the company that makes the tool. If you factor in my time to develop all of the maps, I make pennies on the dollar. There simply isn't a large market here.
Guzzi's still are an ancient design, and getting them to pass emissions in a modern world, is nothing short of miraculous. If you don't want to pay to make them run right, perhaps Guzzi isn't the brand for you. There are a lot of things with Guzzi that make no sense in a modern world... but that's not why people buy them. Just a thought and something to really consider.

strange thing, now that it's winter I don't have this problem anymore... I wonder if was due to the opposite... too hot make gas evaporate?? who knows
No, more to do with the cold temp compensation charts; Fuel richening and timing advance.

I'll try to not take offense to that last part with the simple fact that this is a ultra-miniscule brand that I have chose to focus on, and my $ investment to do it outside of my valuable time was huge, so it's return on investment proposition that I face. $495 is as cheap as I can do it knowing that a huge portion of that goes to the company that makes the tool. If you factor in my time to develop all of the maps, I make pennies on the dollar. There simply isn't a large market here.
Guzzi's still are an ancient design, and getting them to pass emissions in a modern world, is nothing short of miraculous. If you don't want to pay to make them run right, perhaps Guzzi isn't the brand for you. There are a lot of things with Guzzi that make no sense in a modern world... but that's not why people buy them. Just a thought and something to really consider.

No, more to do with the cold temp compensation charts; Fuel richening and timing advance.
Apologies, no offense intended, in fact that comment was not meant at you, but at Moto Guzzi.
I have read many great things, in fact only great things about the products and services you provide. I have no issue at all with what you provide and what you charge.

My comment was that I cannot believe that Moto Guzzi cannot make a bike that runs well from the get go. It seems unbelievable to me that they would produce a product, that does not work properly without outside assistance. I understand that the basic design is old and agree that it is quite impressive that they do work in this tight emissions world. But if doing so creates a product that does not work well, then most companies would create a new product that did work.. Not produce and market something that only runs marginally well without outside assistance.

Do you know if there is any difference to how well they run stock in North America versus Europe?

Maya

My comment was that I cannot believe that Moto Guzzi cannot make a bike that runs well from the get go. It seems unbelievable to me that they would produce a product, that does not work properly without outside assistance. I understand that the basic design is old and agree that it is quite impressive that they do work in this tight emissions world. But if doing so creates a product that does not work well, then most companies would create a new product that did work..
As stated above, they run OK. They V7 III is much better out of the box over the V7 II on warm up. Both of them run extremely lean, and the III pumps air into the exhaust port of the cylinder head. The fact that they run at all, and reasonably well, is really is impressive. Ten years ago, they would've struggled to last the warranty period. Modern metallurgy and technology wins.

OK, what am I missing here. I have owned far to many cars and trucks in my life and never have I had to wait for it to "warm up". OK, in northern Alberta when it's 30 below zero wait for 5 minutes for warm up. But that's it.

I've have owned a 1979 Ducati Darmah 900 SD. a 1980 Kawasaki KZ1000. a 1995 Kawasaki KLR650 and a Honda 250 of unknown age ond pedigree and have never had to wait for any of them to warm up. Just fire up and go.

Perhaps the issue is Moto Guzzi, perhaps not, but this seems very strange to me.

Maya

It's not just Guzzi, most all new non-jap bikes will need fueling mods to make them perform correctly.

Looking at your list of previous bikes it's easy to see that these bikes were produced before the EPA standards we have today.
Can't compare those to today's bikes.

Look at my list of current & previous bikes especially note the 2002 Guzzi Jackal, 2011 Guzzi Black Eagle, 2013 Guzzi Griso, 2014 Guzzi 1400, 2015 Victory Gunner, 2013 Victory Tour. Every one of these bikes have had fueling modifications / maps to make then run correctly.
Cost between the Guzzi & the Vic is about the same but the difference in performance is greater on the Guzzi, totally transforms the bike.

I ride with Ducati, BMW, Triumph, Victory & yes Harley owners.
The only ones who have not done fueling mods are the part time riders.
The Harley guys spend many thousands of dollars just to get their bikes to keep up with my stock Vic.

It's not just Guzzi, most all new non-jap bikes will need fueling mods to make them perform correctly.

Looking at your list of previous bikes it's easy to see that these bikes were produced before the EPA standards we have today.
Can't compare those to today's bikes.

Look at my list of current & previous bikes especially note the 2002 Guzzi Jackal, 2011 Guzzi Black Eagle, 2013 Guzzi Griso, 2014 Guzzi 1400, 2015 Victory Gunner, 2013 Victory Tour. Every one of these bikes have had fueling modifications / maps to make then run correctly.
Cost between the Guzzi & the Vic is about the same but the difference in performance is greater on the Guzzi, totally transforms the bike.

I ride with Ducati, BMW, Triumph, Victory & yes Harley owners.
The only ones who have not done fueling mods are the part time riders.
The Harley guys spend many thousands of dollars just to get their bikes to keep up with my stock Vic.
So why is this not the case with cars and trucks, not to mention Japanese bikes? I'm curious to understand.
Maya

Back