• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 750 Clutch replacement

mur

Just got it firing!
Hi - what is the procedure for clutch replacement on a 2005 Breva 750? I presume it is motor/gearbox out of the frame. What sort of time frame?
Cheers.

Mur NZ

You should be able to "crab" the frame and just remove the gearbox. Be sure to have the special tools on hand to do the job. It is much easier with them than without.

YOu can crab the frame, which is what I did, or you can take the entire upper frame off, which is what I would do the next time. Time frame depends on how long it takes to get everything unhooked and apart, then back together. Changing the clutch disc takes very little time.
Crabbed breva
1247498573.jpg

frame off the top (not breva but another smallblock)
021.jpg

I got by with just standard tools, but had to get creative a time or two. You can eyeball the clutch disc to get it centered.
How many miles on this clutch? Why are you replacing it?

The picture above of the "propulsor unit" is my V50 III. Here's the other half..
022.jpg

Just unhook electrical, hoses, clutch cable, rear brake caliper, etc. remove the bolts at the front frame rails and transmission, pick up the back and roll it off on the front wheel.
Mine was 'barn fresh", so I did a lot of cleaning, etc. and took a couple of days. If you are strictly changing out the clutch, I'd say about 5 hours.. less the next time. The small block is *very* easy to do this kind of job on. No special tools, easy as pie.

I was wondering if you took the tank off. Thanks for posting the other half.

Hi, nice pics, thanks.
To repeat Nola Guzzi's question, how many miles did you put on the plate ?

I ask, because I have yet another couple of months of touring Canada & USA coming up soon.
Over the 3 previous trips on the Guzzi, we have put 26 396 miles on it, from new.
( Ok, had 10 mi on clock from Dealership)

I have provisionally booked a service in Michigan, to be firmed up once I get to Canada,
So , while the bike is at a Guzzi dealership,should I ask them to change the clutch plate, while they are at it ?
Going for a big service, and intend changing both the clutch & throttle cable, along with the rest of whatever I can get done.
Just trying to minimize problems, before setting off on another long ride.
Thanks in Advance
Take Care Out There.

Clutch wear is probably also depending on driving habits. ;)
I've got 60000 km on the meter by now, and haven't even adjusted the clutch yet. (What they did during the first two services during warranty period is out of my control, tho')

There may also be other factors to consider. Quality failures, urban or rural driving. Or Luigi. Check the wear before you pull the whole thing apart. May save you some time.

I really appreciate Chucks pictures and approach!

WoW.
Thanks Holt.
As you know, the bike is rather overloaded, and with 2 of us on it, my style of riding is "Conservative".
Well , at least til we get to the deserted roads out west.
If you can get 60 000 out of yours, then its probably not worth changing mine, just yet.
I just saw the article, and thought it would be a good idea, to ask, just in case I was approaching the normal life span of a clutch plate.
Take Care Out There.

Thanks for all the comments and tips - great pics Chuck, I appreciate your input.
There are only 17,000 miles (27000km) on my clutch. The reason I am considering changing it is the noise it makes - a loud squeak/rubbing noise, dry sounding ( hard to put into words)as I pull in the clutch lever. I have recently been calling dealers/mechanics here in New Zealand that are familiar with Guzzi's and some say this noise is unusual and others say I would be wasting my time changing the plate as it is common for Breva's to make a noise like this due to the clutch plate lining material (basically a dust/debris build up squeak). The clutch operates without fault as the bike has been doing this for 18 months or so.

Jane's Breva 750 now has 63,000km on it, all touring, no urban work. I check the clutch adjustment at each service but have never had to touch it. No strange noises.

She says there's been a noticeable improvement in shifting after the recent service where I used Penrite Transaxle 75, a "European"-style semi-synthetic 75w-90 gear oil, instead of the usual Hypoid 80w-90. The fifth-gear whine has reduced, too.
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/gear-oils/transaxle_75

All, thanks for this helpful feature. FYI, we're about to renew the clutch on my wife, Jane's 2006 Breva 750. The bike has now covered 120,000 miles (193,000 km) and has only recently shown signs of clutch wear/slipping under load.

Chris & Jane Jessop.
Yorkshire.
England.

DSCF7519

I was somewhere around 65000 miles, on my 2006 Breva 750, when some pipe or other , came apart, I thought the main seal had gone, since motor oil was going everywhere.
I got the bike to GT motors, Lansing MI. Brian took the bike apart, and found the pipe problem and fixed it.
Since the bike was in bits anyway, I aked Brian to replace the clutch parts, as I didn´t want to fly over, and then have the clutch go, in the middle of nowhere. He did say, there was some wear on the plate, but could probably have lasted another 3 month trip.
I have not done a trip this year, so far, due to a cataract problem.
Take Care Out There

Back