• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Is going from a 14 Cali Custom to an MGX an upgrade?

Msullivan

Just got it firing!
I have a 14 Custom and I'm pondering an MGX21. Would you all consider that an good enough upgrade to change? Local dealer would be giving me a nice deal with the trade in. It has some nice features on it( electronics package, fairing and all that Carbon fiber)

thanks for your input

Mike

If you value wind protection and storage.

I ride my custom just on short trips because other than a small tank bag , I have zero storage.

Longer trips I use my BMW K1600.

The MGX21 is a bit like Marmite, you either love it or hate it. I am undecided. It's certainly unique but think it would be hard to sell on, as Guzzi's are a niche market as it is. If it floats your boat and the price is right I would say go for it.

all I can say is if you value heated grips, you wont get them for this model as there is no plans for Guzzi to manufactor them for the fully ride by wire throttle, its the same for my E4 2017 version and were would you put a topbox it would totally spoil the lines.
personally Im not to fond of it but I like the red bits they stand out nice

If the "bugs" are worked out on your C14 then my 2 cents is to keep it.
Getting a new bike is starting from ground zero & that always means spending money.

Getting a new bike is starting from ground zero & that always means spending money.

Yeah you all make some good points.

I do like like C1400 and have pretty much loaded it up with(large shield, aux lights, MG leather bags and heated grips and Agostini Exhausts) I just like some feature on the MGX as well. Probably not going to gain much ..if anything... I'll probably take it for a test run and go from there.

If you go over 100mph often, I would stick w/Custom. Batmobile ain't all that in handling.
Have not rode the MGX it really doesn't interest me at all.
I liked the C14 when I had it & 115 was no issue, very comfortable & confident cruising in the 90 to 100 range.

Call me slow to catch on.... but I just can't appreciate all the flat black, carbon fiber stealthy look that seems to be so popular now, especially on a big cruiser. I'm still with glossy paint and chrome or stainless. I'm also not a fan of the shape of the saddle bags or the fairing. I personally think the Ca 1400 Touring has the best looking saddle bags in the business. With that said, picking a bike is a personal thing, go with what you like.

I took a MGX and Eldorado for a ride on the same day.
I bought the Eldorado.

The 21 is a big bike it has stage presence,
its really cool to look at and ride BUT the saddle bags are pretty much an afterthought,

IMHO the workmanship of the 21 is top notch you gotta decide.
You will have many conversations about a 21 if you stop anyplace.

Ride the one that makes you smile the most. Upgrade, downgrade, retrograde, third grade...... who cares?

Paul

Thanks everyone for your replies!!! The more I thought about it I think I'm just going to keep the Cali. I really like it and it is just a minor upgrade if I really think about it.

I have a Custom and have ridden the MGX. I'll stick with the Custom. For storage, you can add the Touring Bags which hold more than the MGX & if you like those Red Heads....well you can add thsoe as well. Mine are gloss Red vs the MGX's flat color. The optional heated grips are nice too. IMG 1108 IMG 1111

Yeah, I have added the MG Leather bags, shield, aux lights, Agostini exhaust and the heated grips I have but have not put them on yet. I knew it would be a marginal upgrade due to the electronics package and fairing. I think I'm just going to stick with my custom and just enjoy it!!

I have a Custom and have ridden the MGX. I'll stick with the Custom. For storage, you can add the Touring Bags which hold more than the MGX & if you like those Red Heads....well you can add thsoe as well. Mine are gloss Red vs the MGX's flat color. The optional heated grips are nice too. View attachment 13507View attachment 13508

Also how do you like that cobin seat? I'm looking to get a new seat and really likes the look of that one especially for 2 up.

I had previously tried the MG stock touring seat but after rides of 100 miles or so it became uncomfortable. I really like the Corbin seat & that MG seat rail comes in handy as well. One caveat on the Corbin however, is that initially it's like sitting on a cinderblock or lump of iron until it's broken in. That take's considerablely longer than I was led to believe. In fact it took a good 1000 miles. but now.... well worth it.

Last edited:
Back