• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Seeking Neutral?

Pre-recall and a hot engine, yes.

Seems to come and go, but I haven't put on many miles in the last couple of months.

Just done a post recall 200 mile run and not noticed a problem finding neutral.
Just flicks in as it always has.

Yes, I have this problem since about 1000km, with hot (original) engine. My bike has 10.000 km.

Guess I shouldn't have replied. Now it is constant. If I ride it far enough to properly warm it up, I cannot get it in neutral at all with the engine running. If I try to walk the bike backwards, I can feel the engine fighting against the clutch. Last night I was on a slight grade, and I could not back it up at all. Clutch is clearly not fully disengaging when hot.

Is there any adjustment there?

How have you got the clutch lever adjusted? When I tried mine closer to the grip, it didn't disengage the clutch properly. Putting it further away cured this.
Otherwise you could have air in the hydraulics.

I wonder if there's a hydraulic line for the clutch (or the cylinder??) that's routed too close to some hot part of the engine??

If there is a little air in the system, it will expand when hot and you won't get as much travel on the clutch.

You may want to try bleeding the system.

Maybe.

when hot, the problem is not finding neutral, more when you have to reengage 1st, the clunk is horrendous...changing down without blipping the throttle is pretty rough too...it all does point to a clutch that drags when hot, but probably is the fact that the oil in the 'box thins when warm..

Didn't think about it at the time as I was pissed about missing a turn on the way back from camping a couple of weeks ago. Stopped to check the GPS and again a couple of minutes later to gas up as I was already part way into a town. Both times I had trouble getting into neutral. Fairly hot day (80s F) and after a couple of hours at 75 to 85 MPH.

tc

Forgot to mention; Bike has slightly over 2000 miles, pre-recall.

Just picked up my Stelvio from 6k service. They bled the clutch to try and fix the problematic neutral issue. On test they were unable to find a problem - but sure enough within 10 miles, back it came. So I tried Brian's suggestion of returning the clutch lever to the original span position and hey presto - problem solved. Will continue to monitor this and update if the issue returns.

Separately, I agree entirely with DecD. There is a huge clunk when engaging first gear. I assume this is normal and typical Guzzi 'character'.

Regards and thanks to BrianUK.:)
Martin

I replaced the Guzzi levers with a pair of Pazzo levers, which adjust MUCH more easlily and positively that the ones Brembo gave Guzzi for the Stelvio. I think three of the positions on my original levers did next to nothing on the adjuster, and the numbers seem to be totally random, rather than 1-4 yielding a nice progression either toward OR away from the bar. Anyway, the Pazzo's are beautifully machnied and anodized, pick your color, and have a simple, positive, six position lever that adjusts the throw.

Anyway, from installing the levers, I found that the actuator rod on the clutch lever is adjustable, and freeplay can be dialed out, effectively changing the engagement point for the lever. A tiny allen head in the barrel below the little paddle that actuates the "clutch depressed" switch under the perch locks the actuator rod. A half turn to one turn out on the rod actuates the clutch sooner. ( Need to remove the lever to do this) The catch is, if you turn it far enough to dial out almost all the freeplay, then as the bike heats up and miles tick by, the rest of the freeplay disappeears and the clutch ends up engaging right at the very end of outward lever travel. Made me squirm about not having enough engagement, so I had to take the lever off and experiment with adjustments till I could get adequate lever travel to avoid the clutch dragging yet not have to worry about slippage/poor engagement. I swear there's something in the clutch hydraulics that's geting too much engine heat. I looked at the back of the tranny, and it appears that the clutch slave cylinder is inside the transmission. I haven't closely inspected the other Guzzis with hydraulic clutches, but I know I never had any trouble with the Breva or the V11 sport. There's definitely something different going on here.

Are the Griso 8v folks having trouble too??

Just got my wheels back from the recall, and the dealer bled the clutch fluid and adjusted the clutch, and it is much, much better. Neutral can be found at all times, even when hot. We'll see if if holds.

Well, I bled the clutch tonight. I used Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, "exceeds DOT 3-4". I got quite a bit of air out of the line, but it didn't break free till a shook the daylights out of the bleeder line. None came out in the reservoir, but a good bit out of the line under the seat with the bleeder valve attached. Clutch is nice and firm again. I didn't ride it yet, but action is similar to the Norge in a side to side comparison.
I adjusted the lever actuating rod to just a small amount of freeplay, again similar in feel to the Norge, which has had no clutch issues yet. If the lever is adjusted too close to the handgrip, the small microswitch won't actuate, so that's something to keep an eye on when fooling with the lever.

Here are the requested pics of the Pazzo levers installed.

AppalachianRally2009003.jpg

AppalachianRally2009005.jpg

Got to ride the bike after clutch bleeding (see last post). All is well, but riding back and forth to work doesn't really heat things up. Looks promising so far,though.

Back