• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

HAT - Hard Alpi Tour 2017

gimpo

Tuned and Synch'ed
In September I have participated to the HAT marathon across the italian-french Alps. Frome the sea level up to the Alps. 470 km of offroad tracks during 2 days.

It was an amazing experience. A lot of people sharing a common passion: the motorcycle.

APERTURA ISCRIZIONI POST HAT HARDALPITOUR logosx corretto 2

Selection 251

Here below some photos of my yellow Stelvio.

Startdiscovery 00005

At the morning of the first day there was +29° Celsius and sun. A lot of dust everywhere.
In the afternoon (in the middle of the mountains)things has drastically changed: rain, rain, rain.

Dolceacquadiscovery 00140 small

Bajardodiscovery 0217 small

P1060641 adj small

At the beginning of the second day, it was still raining. But after a couple of hours the sky was opening and the sun followed us while climbing up to high altitudes.

P1060537 small

SEL 0076 small

SEL 0239

P1060485 small

P1060500 small

I was born in a big city, between asphalt, cars and buildings. It was no possible for me to not stop every kilometer to make some photos or... simply enjoy the silence. I didn't care about the ranking.
P1060506 small

Who really needs 160 HP on an enduro bike???
There was a lot of professional offroad motorcycles at the start in Sanremo. Many many KTM 1290 adventure, as well as 1190 and 690 models. A huge collection of BMW GS was also there.
Some people was looking at my Guzzi with a smile. I suspect that many of them was thinking in their head: "this guy must be crazy, that bike should stay in a musem".
P1060347 small

P1060366 small

P1060342 small
Indeed, in my opinion, the Stelvio is a perfect bike for enduro. Much better than GS and KTM. The lower center of gravity, the generous torque and the wide handlebar makes the Stelvio very easy to drive in any offroad situation.
All you need is just to apply some light mods on the bike (see later).

Understand me. If you would like to go fast on the track, like they do on super-cool videos on youtube, then GS and KTM are far away better.
The question is: who is really able to drive a bike in that way??? And, more important, who really needs to go so fast in offroad?
Speed is ok if you're fighting in a professional race, you take some risks and you accept them. But... for the rest of us speed in offroad it is just a stupid. IMO.

Despite of the weight I was able to go across rocky steps and difficult passages WITHOUT TOUCHING THE GROUND WITH THE SOLE OF MY BOOTS ONE TIME. No one.
Standing up on the pegs, the Stelvio was so easy to drive at low speed, just like a "trial" motorcyle (a bike specialized for the driving in the alps).

BMW GS, KTM 1290 and even a new Husqvarna 701 was falling down in some passage where I was driving with no particular troubles.
My Stelvio has not felt down one time. Never. And I'm not a professional driver. :rock:

Last edited:
Thanks Bill.

Here my mods

Number one: fighting against weight located in high position.

the inertial mass is proportional to velocity. When the motorcycle starts falling (because a rock, a pothole or whatever) the parts located at the top have a greater velocity than the ones located in the lower zone of it. So it's more difficult for the driver to correct the bike position using his body. :nerd:
The key is to reduce mass in the zones around the tank, the handlebar, the seat and so on, or move them in lower position.

1. I have changed the original Yuasa battery with a lithium one: 6,010 Kg vs 1,219 Kg = - 4.791 Kg (!!!!)
  2. I have bought a second-hand muffler for the Stelvio from a friend of mine (Exan). I didn't care about the sound, just about the weight! Original muffler vs Exan muffler = 7.937866 Kg vs 2.91 Kg = - 5.02 Kg (!!!)
  3. Move all tools and spare parts in a lower position. I used a little nylon bag for bicycle to store them. I have mounted near to pegs by using a couple of zip-ties.
  4. unmount the passenger-pegs (they are useless in offroad)
  5. unmount one mirror (or both)
  6. unmount the top-case as well the underlying plate (also, the original plate from Moto Guzzi if you can)

Test
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
try to oscillate the bike between your legs (with both you foots on the ground) before and after the mods above.

Oscillating stelvio

You will feel immediately the difference! ;)

Last edited:
Number two: the clutch

mount the new cylinder for the clutch from Ellemotors-Italy. It will reduce the effort at the lever of 40%. More important, the extended run of the lever will allow you to manage the clutch with incredible precision.
You will be able to play with the power of the engine and do whatever you want with it! :rock:

If you are a perfectionist like me, then buy also the clutch lever from Bolcato. You will be pushed in a new dimension. Much better than the clutch of the BMW GS!

Number three: ergonomics

I'm 180 cm tall, so I've mounted 3cm lowered pegs. Few days ago I also mounted the handlebar risers from SW-Motech (3 cm higher).

Last edited:
Uh!
I forgot to mention:

770 km to ride from my house to the start of the marathon,
470 km offroad
701 km to go back to my home.

Mechanical problems/troubles? ZERO.
Also, I didn't made any particular maintenance operation or particular check before the race.

All I have done is just to fill the tank with gas when necessary, that's all. :)

Number two: the clutch

mount the new cylinder for the clutch from Ellemotors-Italy. It will reduce the effort at the lever of 40%. More important, the extended run of the lever will allow you to manage the clutch with incredible precision.
You will be able to play with the power of the engine and do whatever you want with it! :rock:

If you are a perfectionist like me, then buy also the clutch lever from Bolcato. You will be pushed in a new dimension. Much better than the clutch of the BMW GS!

Number three: ergonomics

I'm 180 cm tall, so I've mounted 3cm lowered pegs. Few days ago I also mounted the handlebar risers from SW-Motech (3 cm higher).

Any more details on the clutch mods please. Already done the pegs.

Taken mine off-road in the Pyrenees and routine simple track in the Pennines in the UK.

Last edited:
Back