• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

What is this and why is it filled with oil??

NJNorge

Just got it firing!
GT di Razza Pura
On the right side of my 2015 Norge there's a clear plastic tube with a plug on the end of it that's always filled with oil (see picture...that's the rear brake lever on top, and it's leaking on the spring for the center stand). Every time I pull the plug out of the bottom of the tube to drain it, it fills up next time I ride.
Questions:
What is this tube/what does it vent?
Should it fill with oil every time I ride?
If so, should I be drained every time I ride, or just leave it?

Oil filled tube

Thats the drain for the airfilter, should be drained regularily.
Whilst that's correct the system really should be checked out to see why it fills up all the time. My 1st suspicion is that the engine oil level is too high. I don't know any specifics at all about a Norge, but it's a generic question which comes up for all makes and models of bikes from time to time. 99.99% of them are cured by putting less oil in the sump. What I did with my DR650 was just crack my sump plug and drain off about 50ml of oil, run it for a few days then check. Repeat this until you eventually find out exactly how much oil your engine will accept without pumping the excess out through the breather. Like I said, it's very common and can be quite different for ostensibly identical bikes.

If that doesn't fix it then you're 1 of the 0.01% who ought to checking for serious ring blow-by - that means hone and new rings. You usually don't want to re-bore nikasil bores.

Hope that's enough to fix it for ya.

ps Just thought I should add that there's no rule that says your oil should be at the top level. The rule is that it should be above the bottom level.

Last edited:
NJNorge, The "book" say 3600 ml for a fill including the filter. Try 3400 ml and check your add/fill mark on your dipstick. 3300 to 3400 ml seems to be about right.

The downside of this is that some oil will get into your throttle bodies and crud them up. This will cause other issues (including a sticky stepper motor) in time, requiring removal of throttle body assembly at some point in time for a good thorough clean. Obvious issues might be high idle sometimes...

I have removed this device from my bike and the oil drain pipe from the oil condenser box now goes into a small plastic container next to the battery instead of into the airbox. No more oil in the airbox for me - cleaning the throttle body assembly is a right royal PITA!

Thanks for the insight everyone...my guess is that it's probably just overfilled. I always do my own maintenance (don't like anyone else touching my stuff!), but figured being that this is my first Guzzi (and there were warranty corrections to be made), it should go back to a dealer for the first service. This wasn't an issue until I got it back! OZ...I haven't had to take the gas tank off yet...can I assume if I do, I'll see what you're talking about? I've already gotten rid of the charcoal canister and re-tuned it using Todd's programmer (worth every penny!)...keeping the oil out of the airbox makes plenty of sense to me.

Yeah tank off will show the hose from the oil condensor in front of the airbox (screwed to it actually) into the airbox

Back