• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bar Risers or seat adjustment?

Flipdog

Just got it firing!
Hi All ! - just got excellent advice from Rob Gibson (Cruisin' Guzzisti) on TomTom for my 2013 C14 with 400 miles on the clock! Bought it just before I had to come away to the US for a few weeks so learning online about it.
One thing was that when I ran it around a private roads I was really stretching for the bars and my bum would NOT rest against the seat back unless I was nearly lying on the tank. I am 5'7'' and my last bike ST1300 Pan European was a comfortable lean forward with weight taken on my shoulders, with the seat in the lowest setting position.
Lots of warnings about stretching cables etc. but has anyone fitted the Rox Speed FX 2'' pivoting bar riser and what problems had to be overcome?
I am guessing the C14 seat doesn't slide forward? --- didn't think so!!!

Thanks in advance, Bill.

I'm 5'6" (167.6 cm), with a 29" inside leg (73.66 cm) and weigh 172 lb (78.03 KG). My preferred 'ride' these days is the 2014 California Custom.

I found the Cali Custom quite comfortable from the moment I took a test ride. It was a bit of a stretch from the seat to the handlebars. The norm for me, anything taller than a Grom is a bit of a stretch :). After longer rides I had spend a little to gently loosen up my back muscles.

After reading several reviews on this site about the GT-Rx CNC Bar Risers, https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-rx-cnc-bar-risers/, I brought and fitted a pair, then rotated the bars back a little. My riding posture has improved and the ride is more comfortable. I don't have to spend time working out the kinks in my back after the longer rides.

As for the seating position. I strongly prefer mid or slightly rear of Mid controls, so most of the time I sit forward on the seat, and have the balls of my feet on the back end of the footboards. Toyed with the idea of swapping out the footboards for Audace rider pegs, which I may do once I've upgraded the suspension.

To put things in perspective.
I live just north of Atlanta, most weeks I ride less than 100 Miles (161 km), about 40% highway and 60% country / suburban roads.
About once a month my son, a friend, and I head for the North Georgia mountains.

Not quite Wales or British country roads bordered on both sides by hedges you can't see through or over, but nonetheless entertaining. Various road conditions, a few nice long sweeping curves, a sprinkling of tight turns and a few hairpins. So quite fun. About a 170 mile round trip (273.6 km). We tend to go the long way round.

Last weekend my son and I took in the Barber Vintage Motorcycle Festival, about 160 miles (257.5 km) each way. It took us a little longer to get to Barber MotorSports Park, about 2 hrs 40 minutes, due to traffic, than it did to get home. No back ache, no sore muscles, and a great big smile.

The smile is all down to the GT-RX Fuel Mod package and how responsive, quick and predictable the Beast is now,

I'm 5'6" (167.6 cm), with a 29" inside leg (73.66 cm) and weigh 172 lb (78.03 KG). My preferred 'ride' these days is the 2014 California Custom.

I found the Cali Custom quite comfortable from the moment I took a test ride. It was a bit of a stretch from the seat to the handlebars. The norm for me, anything taller than a Grom is a bit of a stretch :). After longer rides I had spend a little to gently loosen up my back muscles.

After reading several reviews on this site about the GT-Rx CNC Bar Risers, https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-rx-cnc-bar-risers/, I brought and fitted a pair, then rotated the bars back a little. My riding posture has improved and the ride is more comfortable. I don't have to spend time working out the kinks in my back after the longer rides.

As for the seating position. I strongly prefer mid or slightly rear of Mid controls, so most of the time I sit forward on the seat, and have the balls of my feet on the back end of the footboards. Toyed with the idea of swapping out the footboards for Audace rider pegs, which I may do once I've upgraded the suspension.

To put things in perspective.
I live just north of Atlanta, most weeks I ride less than 100 Miles (161 km), about 40% highway and 60% country / suburban roads.
About once a month my son, a friend, and I head for the North Georgia mountains.

Not quite Wales or British country roads bordered on both sides by hedges you can't see through or over, but nonetheless entertaining. Various road conditions, a few nice long sweeping curves, a sprinkling of tight turns and a few hairpins. So quite fun. About a 170 mile round trip (273.6 km). We tend to go the long way round.

Last weekend my son and I took in the Barber Vintage Motorcycle Festival, about 160 miles (257.5 km) each way. It took us a little longer to get to Barber MotorSports Park, about 2 hrs 40 minutes, due to traffic, than it did to get home. No back ache, no sore muscles, and a great big smile.

The smile is all down to the GT-RX Fuel Mod package and how responsive, quick and predictable the Beast is now,

Many thanks Blakbird and Guzzi Lou. As soon as I posted the thread I thought I may have exaggerated the problem and I should just get back (27th) and take it for a good long ride, -- British weather permitting! However, the 2'' Pivot risers are on their way and I will post the inevitable re-routing and re-making of cables etc., though any advice in advance of this will be appreciated.
I absolutely LOVE the bike and am prepared adapt myself or make it as I want without affecting its essential character.
Maybe it's because my last two bikes before the Pan were both Triumph Rocket 111 Tourings or maybe because I am two clicks from 70 and me back is stiffening up, but I reckon the Custom is now the bike for me.

Just be aware that the cable for the Tom Tom does not have a lot of slack in it so fitting the risers with the OEM sat nav mount may require extending the cable.

I also have the risers on, but strange I never needed them for the first Cal I had,same bike just newer model
this new 2017 model feels different so I put the risers on it, also after owning a Guzzi for over 3 1/2 years I just discovered that if you remove the seat turn it upside down and remove the 4 rubber bunges on each corner it lowers the seat about an inch albeit you do sacrifice a bit of the comfort in the seat but if am doing a real long trip I just put the rubbers back in.

As for the satnav I have a Garmin and cabled it to a fuse block I install and housed it in the right hand side panel under the seat, my camera and aux power for heated gloves all conect to it.

Thanks Coxswain! Who would have known about the rubber bungs? It's a great tip and means I will be able to get both feet flat on the ground. Maybe I didn't need the engine bars I have on order, lol!

Many thanks for the observation Lou. Maybe how the pivoting risers are rotated will help. Either way I will post problems/solutions when I get the chance to fit them.

That's kinda cool, although you don't get to submit our arm length and more to the point it doesn't show the reach of each arm when on full lock which was always the big issue for me on my Audace.
Yeah and the arm straightness at 100% is still bent. My arms are REALLY straight when I ride. Using this I’m probably 150% Lol. Still it’s fun to play around with and look at the sitting position of tons of other bikes.

Just discovered this web site. It may be helpful to those contemplating ergonomic changes.
http://cycle-ergo.com/
REALLY helpful as a guide between bikes. Interesting that I was comfortable for hours on my Pan with a calculated 9'' lean forward, -probably because my pegs were further back and I rode on the balls of my feet so wasn't scrunched up. Fun to play with and a certain go-to before I buy again.

Back