• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New '06 B11 Owner First Impressions; Nits & Picks

Tony D.

Just got it firing!
Hello All,

I am a new owner of a 2006 B11 and loving it with >1K miles added to the 14K miles I purchased it with last month. I've been riding mostly British and Japanese for the past 38 years and figured I should experience an Italian bike before I can't ride any longer especially considering I'm 100% Italian. Anyway, I thought I'd share my initial impressions with the forum. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Nits

1. Engine heat – There’s something that resembles an easy-bake oven between the tranny and center stand that really goes nuclear when the outside air temp rises above 80°F. Hopefully eliminating the cat will cool things down.

2. Small fuel filling hole – Can’t look past the fuel nozzle to see fuel level when topping-off tank.

3. Clutch engagement – Near the end of the lever travel (2nd B11 I’ve ridden with this trait). Clutch modulates and hooks-up well otherwise.

4. Hazzard switch location – Prefer it on the handlebar as I use them in some braking situations.

5. Horn and signal switch reversed from previous rides – I keep beeping my horn to activate and cancel directionals with pedestrians looking at me with the WTF look.

6. Side Stand – Bike leans over too far IMO, especially when having to lift it off with a full load of fuel. Plan to fabricate a 1” thick hard-rubber pad to fit on the end of the stand to remedy. Also, when retracted, the “paw” of the side stand contacts the underside of the left peg adding to vibration. Maybe the rubber pad extender I make will isolate some of the vibration.

7. Vibration – Not bad really but I’m just not used to it yet after riding the Trophy with an electric-like 4-cylinder motor these 16 years.

8. Three fluid changes – Not terrible but I forgot how stinky hypoid gear oil is and draining it from the tranny required me to fabricate a custom chute to keep it from spilling on the cat.

Picks (in no particular order)

1. Motor – Great looking, fantastic sounding, with no shortage of character.

2. Seat – Very comfy. My first ride on it was a 200-miler bringing it home and didn’t even know it was there.

3. Suspension – Perfect for me.

4. Brakes – They haul the bike down nicely from high speeds with no fade or drama. Already had an emergency stop without locking up the back wheel as well.

5. Compression Braking – Love it! Never had it with my 4-cylinders. Brakes should last much longer now.

6. Handling – Super nice road manners and surprisingly stable on the highway which will only get better with new tires. Current (~70% worn) Metzler Sportec M3s result with little to no tip-in, heavy slow-speed steering feel and are awful when cold (planning on PR4s for next set).

7. Ease of maintenance – So far so good.

8. Riding in the wind– An absolute dream compared to my fully faired Trophy 1200 known for involuntary lane changes in sudden cross winds and can wiggle behind a large vehicle’s wake turbulence on the highway.

9. Uniqueness factor – There’s really nothing like it out there. When my wife first saw the bike, she loved it so much she hopped on the back for a ride first time in >20 years thinking it was the coolest and most unique looking bike she’s ever seen. I must agree.

10. GuzziTech – I look at the owner’s forums when considering a bike. Lots of great references and support here and hope to contribute my learnings like not using a wood dowel to find TDC of the piston or how to fish it out if you were as dumb and as lazy as I was not to go fetch a plastic straw!
Thank you.
Tony D.

I've had a B11 for ten years. Also had 20 others bikes including Suzuki, Honda a d BMW. The Breva does it for me so much that I have restored her back to new for another go. These bikes have so much character. Welcome aboard

1)Proper tuning will fix the heat issue. A wanted to stay stock, so the O2 Optimizer from GT-X fixed the issue, which is the closed loop part of the F/I. It runs extremely lean to meet current emission standards. Some lean surging at part throttle (bumper to bumper traffic) is common. If your wallet allows it, go all out. There is much to be gained.
2) The insert for the fuel filler comes out with the removal of four Allen bolts. Any file or rotary cutter will work. I ran a 1-3/16th hole cutter through mine, now I can see what I am doing topping up the tank.
3) PITA. I am still trying to get used to it (Jackal all winter, Breva all summer).

Thanks Nordicnorm. I'll look into the O2 Optimizer and definitely give the fuel insert modification a go. With respect to the clutch engagement nit, I was able to back out the plunger to bring the lever a little closer to the grip. See my recent post on it for details of a required modification I had to do using a small file.
Tony D.

I cured my side stand nit with of all things, a hockey puck! A little cutting, drilling, sanding and viola, no more grunting to get it of the side stand with a topped-off fuel tank. Bike still has enough lean to keep it secure. Side Stand Fix Photo attached.

Sorry, my point #3 was really nit #5 about the reversed horn/signal switch. Add a Buell to the mix: total confusion!
Rarely use the horn, but when you need it........
I love that hockey puck! Go Jets, Go!!

Back