• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Leaky California 1400 Fork Seal?

roadventure

GT Reference
I noticed some oil residue on the lower right fork leg on my California 1400 this past summer. I wiped the film off the fork leg and finished out the season. After two months of winter storage so far I went to change plugs and adjust valves I noticed oil on the right side of the front tire (bike parked vertical in a front wheel chock, not on side stand). There was also oil on the right brake caliper. I am pretty sure it was fork oil and not brake fluid.

Here's my question. How much of a chore is it to drop the fork legs out of the triple-tree? Do the black upper fork covers need to be removed? I was thinking of taking the right fork leg out and, at least, try cleaning the seal if is a simple job of removing the leg. Or, replacing the seal if it is more of a major issue to drop the form legs.

What do you think?

Fork drop is pretty simple, the fork covers stay in place (or try your best to keep them there, as they use a fidgety o-ring) and just loosen the pinch bolts and lower. You can clean the seal... I'd try one of these first; http://sealmate.net/

Be happy you don't have the newer Kaifa damper rod forks used on the Audace & Eldo... pure garbage.

I can't remember if you can remove the fork seals without taking the damper rods loose. But, if I am correct your bike has a few miles on it and if you have not changed the fork oil I would. I forget the mileage when I changed mine but it was under 10K and the fluid was ugly. If you are in there you may want to get some new springs as they helped mine.

Fork drop is pretty simple, the fork covers stay in place (or try your best to keep them there, as they use a fidgety o-ring) and just loosen the pinch bolts and lower. You can clean the seal... I'd try one of these first; http://sealmate.net/

Be happy you don't have the newer Kaifa damper rod forks used on the Audace & Eldo... pure garbage.

Thanks Todd. So, MG "improved" the front suspension on the Audace and Eldorado? I had planned on trying to remove any crud before replacing the seals.

I can't remember if you can remove the fork seals without taking the damper rods loose. But, if I am correct your bike has a few miles on it and if you have not changed the fork oil I would. I forget the mileage when I changed mine but it was under 10K and the fluid was ugly. If you are in there you may want to get some new springs as they helped mine.

I may go ahead and drop both fork legs and change the fork oil. Was there anything tricky about getting the caps off the top? Do you recommend staying with what MG says to use for fork oil? Did you stick with the OEM viscosity?

I may go ahead and drop both fork legs and change the fork oil. Was there anything tricky about getting the caps off the top? Do you recommend staying with what MG says to use for fork oil? Did you stick with the OEM viscosity?
Dave, motion seconded on the fluid change. At 10000 mine was well overdue. The Matris spring kit was supplied with 5W oil. Feels about right overall. Really aggressive riders or larger individuals could probably get away with 7.5W. Two litres will do the job as each fork holds 600ml / with a 110mm air gap.

I stayed with the 5wt synthetic but new springs. I remember to remove the springs there was a special tool needed. I think I still have the one I had made and you can borrow it if needed. I forget the entire procedure. I would have to look in the manual to see if anything else is needed.

Bugga, I have an Eldorado Todd. Is there much difference between the forks and does that mean the Matris set up won't fit.

Bugga, I have an Eldorado Todd. Is there much difference between the forks and does that mean the Matris set up won't fit.
The Sachs forks are cartridge, and the Kaifa forks are damper rod, but the major difference is the fork tube cap has different threads. Almost every pair of Kaifa forks that I've come across has had near bushing failure with very little miles, which makes them feel like/actually are... binding. If you have a harsh ride, it is worth investigating.

The Sachs forks are cartridge, and the Kaifa forks are damper rod, but the major difference is the fork tube cap has different threads. Almost every pair of Kaifa forks that I've come across has had near bushing failure with very little miles, which makes them feel like/actually are... binding. If you have a harsh ride, it is worth investigating.

And will the Matris set up work on these forks?

Hi all,
I'm currently undergoing the big transformation of Todd's exhaust and the full fueling kit. I'm almost done, but because I travel 100% for work, it takes weeks to get something done as I'm gone for weeks at a time. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the new ride once I get her off the lift. So, to the point-I spent the money on the Matris fork kit for this, BEFORE doing due research then finding out that this Eldo doesn't have the same fork as the touring/custom. So, my question to you Todd or whomever is a machinist/MG enthusiast, is have you thought about machining fork caps that will work on the Audace and the Eldorado with the Matris fork kit? While I'm asking, I need engine guard forward highway pegs. I have numerous Harley/Kuryakyn highway pegs, but 1" is too small, and 1 1/4" is too large. Can you or do you have clamps that will work with the pegs that Kuryakyn makes? BTW Todd, that exhaust is beautiful. I started the engine prior to installing the fuel kit. Awesome sound, so looking forward to some road time. All the best to everyone out there. Stand strong for the United States folks!
Thanks all,
Tom

Back