• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Joining the V9 club...Any dire warnings?

Eldo1400

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I'm about to take delivery of a V9 Bobber, to add to my Eldorado. City and Freeway theme. Any special things to check?

OK, so reading some of your comments on the other thread...Todd mentions something about checking the clutch free play at the transmission...several comments about oil on the rear tire when new. Most of you seem to like your bobbers, which is nice. Checking the demo bike they had at the dealer, it seemed the clutch lever had a lot of up and down play, felt loose. Non locking gas cap may be taking the whole retro theme too far.

I have to say I wasn't crazy about the V9 looks at first, but both models grew on me. Would love to hear some pilot reports, especially some insights on handling and break-in behavior. I don't expect to take in to the track but any tips on suspension set-up, braking quirks, oil consumption first 1k miles observations would be appreciated. I bought my Eldo already broken in and the only issue I've had was the battery. I'll keep an eye out for oil on the tire. Wow, big and little Guzzis I'm excited.

Im on the second season of my V9 Bobber, passed 10000KM in september. First Guzzi for me and I like it a lot, its a more "pure" bike experience then all the tecnically advanced modern bikes I'v owned during the last 2 decades. It is very refined yet, runs in the context smooth, with vibrations that I find pleasant even though im very VERY sensitive for bad vibrations (sold the ZZR1400. Z750 and Xt1200ZE for that reason(!). Yes, had leaking final drive, fixed with a new vent. in my case and my battery must have been bad from start, it just gave up after 12 month.

I'v done 1000KM in a day with no trouble, seat is actually decent on long runs (I'm not Heavy though). Long distance runs is what has surpriced me the most with beeing nice to do, I got the Guzzi Bobber Wind shield, works perfect. I travel every day 90Km to work and back, no problems!

Break in is a long process if done like I do, by the book. I say it reveals its nature first after 6000KM, its a great improvement from new.

Good Power, nice rides on twisty roads, fine longdistance riding, looks great, low consumption, should I even go there, lots of..."soul"! ;)

Overall a wonderfull experience this far!

Daniel

Thanks, Daniel, great write-up. It sounds like the rear leak problems are usually evident right away? I didn't know the vent was a replaceable part. I'll keep a keen eye out in the first 500 miles until service time.

I really like the lightness and feel of this bike. It reminds me of my old 1970s Bonneville in many ways. Next to my Eldorado it feels like a dirt bike. Can't wait to take delivery.

Thanks, Daniel, great write-up. It sounds like the rear leak problems are usually evident right away? I didn't know the vent was a replaceable part. I'll keep a keen eye out in the first 500 miles until service time.

I really like the lightness and feel of this bike. It reminds me of my old 1970s Bonneville in many ways. Next to my Eldorado it feels like a dirt bike. Can't wait to take delivery.

I rode 700KM from new before the rear leak appeared, was a hot day with extended slow pace riding in rural villages. So it might needs the "wrong" conditions to show up, they fixed it at 1st service though and after that I done lots of similar rides for a long time, so it seems all good now :)

My dealer told me the rear leak problem was hit and miss, with some of them having it right away. Something about Luigi having a hangover that day. >:)

So I got my V9 Bobber today. I really tried to observe the break in recommendation. Do de do de do I went. But the bike was making horrible noises, like this clonk when I used the clutch. It got annoying so I decided to do my usual break in procedure. Hard acceleration through the gears, lots of engine braking. Took it up to the canyons to scrub in the tires, then down the freeway. After about 50 miles of this the noises were gone and the engine was sweeeeet and smooth. The power came up nicely, too. No more wonky running. It really is a great little engine I think. Great sound, even with the stock exhaust.

Other impressions: the scooter ergos are a bit strange. Not quite cruiser, not quite standard. The rear brake lever needs a re-think, it juts up at an odd angle. Overall, though, I had a good time with the bike. Despite the strange ergos it worked for me everywhere but the freeway at speed.

The bike really does feel lighter than its 450-odd pounds. It carries its weight well. Not exactly flickable with that ridiculous donut on the front wheel. The tire is great for Hollywood streets, though, handling bumps with aplomb. It holds a line well in the curves but there's no feedback from the front end. You have to believe your eyes and trust your ass.

It holds a line well in the curves but there's no feedback from the front end. You have to believe your eyes and trust your ass. I think I'm the only V9 Bobber owner who actually likes the stock seat.
Yes, tire selection and rake geometry are the cause. I can help on both when the time comes or whenever you are ready.
Seat is OK for around town. Any significant distance, it's terrible IMO. I've long forgotten about it since converting to the V7 bits; http://ridemalibu.com/bikes/v97/

Thanks, Todd. It's good to know there are options. I do like the stock tire for hitting bumps in city traffic. For that it's almost as good as the Eldorado.

Thanks, Todd. It's good to know there are options. I do like the stock tire for hitting bumps in city traffic. For that it's almost as good as the Eldorado.
Welcome, and it's not the size, it's the profile; Which then, the geometry is the final fix (easy fixable by dropping the front end 20mm). The bike has a lazy rake (a bit choppered out right now.)

Welcome, and it's not the size, it's the profile; Which then, the geometry is the final fix (easy fixable by dropping the front end 20mm). The bike has a lazy rake (a bit choppered out right now.)
Would you recommend this for a Roamer?

Just collecting my 2017 v9 from a 2nd service and valve clearance to be told it a has a flat spot on idle , tech said it was due to the pro race cans fitted, I didn't do it before the seven, any ideas please

Back