• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge sump drain plug

bubba zanetti

Just got it firing!
The drain plug on my 08 Norge is just about stripped. I have been nursing it for a few years but can feel and see that the threads are deflected and near fail. No leak yet, but would like to fix this now and stop worrying about it.

Has anyone gone up a size in drain plug and re tapped to say a 12 x 1.5 ?? I see I can easily fund such a plug and crush washers with rubber middle.

What John Says is the best way to go, Bubba. It doesn't take too long to drop the oil pan - but remember there are 3 or 4 bolts up beside the oil filter that are easily missed. I find a mirrored torch works well unless you want to lay under the bike (I can't do this as I wear glasses and things are just too damn close to focus...).

Work this in with a filter and oil change and all will be sweet - doesn't cost much either but make sure you get your timesert before you start.

I had a stripped gear box drain plug and also used timesert. I did it insitu and it works great, I did flush it a couple of times with oil to makes sure all was clean inside.

Robert

Possible with the gear box, but it would be very difficult to get a straight shot to the engine drain hole. Dropping the pan is the best option. As Tony stated, time it with an oil change. The only additional parts needed would be the time sert, and a pan gasket.

Bill, the size that fits, hypothetically that is.

Noted. :giggle:

10 X 1.5 is the correct size, even though the Guzzi catalogues say otherwise! Sump off and helicoil for me. View attachment 13830

Many thanks ... but no clue about "the Guzzi catalogues" you mention. Oh, never mind, I haven't a clue generally.:think:

Seriously, I may be fearing what isn't happening, but want to be ready. Getting a little drip, drip, drip from there. Very small amount when left sitting overnight, and no particular loss otherwise. Had overfilled it before long recent trip and worry I may have hamfisted it in haste. :swear:

Have it on lift and will drain it and inspect. Assume spalling, if any, will tell the tale?

Grazie.

Bill

Bill, I had a similar leak. It was fixed in a number of ways (I did several things so I don't actually know which one it was). I replaced both of the sump gaskets; I tightened the oil line that goes to the oil condenser catch container in front of the alternator (I ended up replacing it altogether as one of the spouts folded in on itself - lots of oil blow by); I tightened the two oil cooler hoses on the front of the engine. I also replaced some of the rubber hoses to/from the oil condenser - they were a tad perished.

One or more of these may have been the culprit. It also cleared up the suspected rear main seal leak that was misting under the clutch housing.

One thing is for sure, our bikes (tupperware aside) are now ten or so years older (like us) and some of the originally fitted items do need replacing from time to time.

Many thanks ... but no clue about "the Guzzi catalogues" you mention.

Guzzi parts catalogues and online ordering states 10 X 1.0 which is incorrect. It is the same plug as transmission and CARC. Had me confused for a while as my bike had the incorrect plug in it and I wanted to helicoil it to the correct size.

Hmmmmm. So, my hypothetical self backed the drain plug out.

Drained the oil.

What did I find?

Perhaps it would be more telling to say what I did not find. :think:

No crush or rubber-insert washer. Nada.

I KNOW I had one on the foxtrotting plug but somehow in the course of putting it on when I last changed the oil it went AWOL. Lordy. :swear:

Oh, well, at least I know the cause. [Me] Doh. :fubar:

Bill

Simple is good, Bill. least you know what it is, and your suspicions came to nought!

Back