• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Help-I'm Falling

2Laner

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Just a general chat topic here. I am considering a new bike. 56,000 + miles on my 08 Sport. It has been a pure joy despite the learning curve on MG electronics and worrisome no start issues. Something that has always lurked strongly was the dreaded dash failure and big $ fix. So far, no issue. Should I dump this wonderful machine while I'm ahead? Does anyone has any insight or advice on what may needed to keep this bike in it's pristine running shape? I have replaced front/rear suspension, brake rotors, oil tmp sensor , one relay (Start) along with all the other regular maintenance items. Bike was set up early with Todd's excellent ECU re-flash, PC5 and autotune. Is it worthwhile to have throttle bodies cleaned? Runs great now. Road a friends Kawasaki Versys 1000 and was pretty blown away. I am afraid I will miss the "personality" of my Guzzi. Damm that Kaw is smooth, easy to handle and way fast! Good deals on lots of used and new. Hope to ride a Stelvio NTX to stay in MG world. They are still pretty pricey though. Open to any thoughts or commentary. Any offers on a good used 08 Sport? :)
Thanks,
Paul

Paul, keep it, you have a good one and many more will not be available in the future, as the model has long been dropped. Mine has done 105,000 km and is a keeper.

Hi Tony, I have long followed your many very helpful post. Thank you for your insight and strait forward advice on maintenance. I am forever indebted as I have no formal training in "shop mechanics" but really enjoy working and maintaining my ride. Yes, I have always felt my 1200 was a "Keeper". Last of of the 2 valve lot, hey. Also the only bike I have ever owned that I can just look at over and over. It is dazzling. Winter blues and new bike fever have me lusting. Anything mechanical come to mind that you think I may need to address? Swing arm may need to lubed again. Any concerns on clutch plates, CARC components (seals) or such? No leaks, shifts great, no concerns from riding so far. Am I lucky?

Yes, lucky indeed. Keep the keeper. Indulge in others if you must, even if to prove you have already got the best one. Itch? Scratch it, then return to the fold - Oh, you don't need to return, there's one in the back of your shed!

I should never have sold my '89 LeMans V or my Sport-ified '75 850-T. It was very stupid to sell them even though I was unable to ride any longer at that point in time. Now that I can ride again, I miss them terribly. Don't let new bike fantasy do that to you. Every Moto Guzzi I've owned, even my first 850-T3 in 1976, has been a keeper, and it was only me being foolish enough to let them go.

I've replaced the LeMans and 850T with a V7III Racer ... I'll not make the same mistake again. I'd love a V11 Sport or a Griso too, but definitely never "in place of" Racer. I bonded with Racer instantly ... already feel as if I've been riding it for a decade ... and I've never gotten that feeling from any bikes other than Moto Guzzis. Whatever it takes to keep Racer healthy and running well is simply the price that moto love costs. :D

G

Hi Tony, I have long followed your many very helpful post. Thank you for your insight and strait forward advice on maintenance. I am forever indebted as I have no formal training in "shop mechanics" but really enjoy working and maintaining my ride. Yes, I have always felt my 1200 was a "Keeper". Last of of the 2 valve lot, hey. Also the only bike I have ever owned that I can just look at over and over. It is dazzling. Winter blues and new bike fever have me lusting. Anything mechanical come to mind that you think I may need to address? Swing arm may need to lubed again. Any concerns on clutch plates, CARC components (seals) or such? No leaks, shifts great, no concerns from riding so far. Am I lucky?

The clutch should be good for a very long time. I've seen them last well over 100K miles. The timing chain should be good to about 90 K miles or more. Just routine maintenance should be all you need for a very long time.

Thanks for all the replies and bringing me to my senses. It will be a keeper. That Versys is really a great bike though.

Back