• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Headlight low-beam not working

Luca Fontanarosa

Just got it firing!
Searched but context didn't quite fit my case. So basically I have parking lights only working. No low-beams. Hi-beams work fine when I flip the switch. One would normally check for bulbs but I'm very suspicious that both would actually burn out at the same time. What else could be going on?

2009 Norge 1200 4v

Verify you have power going to the low beam bulbs. If you do, then bulbs, if not then troubleshoot the circuit.

2 separate filaments run from one circuit. The relay is common to both. But it is possible that both filaments have blown.
The electrickery must be switched from the low beam filament to the high beam filament (and vica versa). Usually the passing switch energizes both at once. It'd be unusual to have both filaments energized for normal high beam use. The point is that the 2 filaments are energized separately in normal use.

Guys I greatly appreciate all your feedback. So based on that, I should probably start disassembling the headlight and check for burnt bulbs and then if that checks out proceed to the removal of the gas tank for the relay? Do you happen to know the part # for that relay? Again, thanks for the help.

Guys I greatly appreciate all your feedback. So based on that, I should probably start disassembling the headlight and check for burnt bulbs and then if that checks out proceed to the removal of the gas tank for the relay? Do you happen to know the part # for that relay? Again, thanks for the help.

Parts manuals are available in the downloads. If you haven't made a donation to the site you will need to in order to access these manuals.

The relays are under the front end of the seat, remove the RH side panel to see them better. No need to remove the tank, though if you remove the bolt holding the rear of the tank you can lift the back end a bit to get a better view.
Behind the headlights you will see two 4 way connectors, one to each. If yo have a test bulb or voltmeter you could disconnect these to see I power is getting to the bulbs on low beam.
The bulbs are a bit difficult to get at, you have to remove the inner dash moulding, then pull the rubber covers off to get at the bulbs.

The relays are under the front end of the seat, remove the RH side panel to see them better. No need to remove the tank, though if you remove the bolt holding the rear of the tank you can lift the back end a bit to get a better view.
Behind the headlights you will see two 4 way connectors, one to each. If yo have a test bulb or voltmeter you could disconnect these to see I power is getting to the bulbs on low beam.
The bulbs are a bit difficult to get at, you have to remove the inner dash moulding, then pull the rubber covers off to get at the bulbs.
Thank you!

I have a 14 Norge and had the exact same issue of no high or low beam and chased my tail for a while.

It ended up being a simple fix of replacing the relay on the left side of the steering column under the black panel. You have a low/hi beam relay on the right side and a light relay on the left side. It was the left relay that was the issue and a simple fix. It was intermittent so was a PITA.

Hi Luca! I hope you have found the issue to your headlamp dilemma!

I've had the low beam issue as well! Good advice from everyone. If you haven't done so already, you can download the Carl Allison wiring diagram to see the various relays that are on the bike. The ones under the seat are all the same. If your bike is like my '08, there is a High Beam and a Low Beam Relay and you will see that on the Carl Allision diagram, they are numbered 4 & 5. There is also the Ignition (Starter) Relay which is identical to the Headlamp Relays. On the diagram it is numbered 3.

The Relay's are a low cost piece and definitely good to have a few spares around! Good luck and happy riding!

Hi Luca! I hope you have found the issue to your headlamp dilemma!

I've had the low beam issue as well! Good advice from everyone. If you haven't done so already, you can download the Carl Allison wiring diagram to see the various relays that are on the bike. The ones under the seat are all the same. If your bike is like my '08, there is a High Beam and a Low Beam Relay and you will see that on the Carl Allision diagram, they are numbered 4 & 5. There is also the Ignition (Starter) Relay which is identical to the Headlamp Relays. On the diagram it is numbered 3.

The Relay's are a low cost piece and definitely good to have a few spares around! Good luck and happy riding!
Hello!
I haven't looked at my issue at all. I wouldn't even know where to start, I'm not mechanically inclined at all. I'll probably bring it somewhere to have it fixed.

Quick question...I've looked at the wiring diagram which says those relays are on the LH side. Am I reading the diagram wrong or did you mean to say LH side panel? I have to try and tackle this project myself looks like

Wasn't aware there was an indication of where the relays are in the wiring diagram.
Just take the seat off, and look down behind the tank. Taking the RIGHT hand small side panel off gives better access.

Back