• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Used V7ii or New V9/V7iii

HooliganS3

Just got it firing!
I have read through this forum and most of the threads discussions the differences.

I am at a crossroads and looking for some advice and guidance. I want a Guzzi. I just can’t get it out of my mind.

Local dealer in Vegas is discounting V7iii and V9 models ($5995 Stone, $6995 V9/V7iii Special). They play the dealer fee game and run the fees up, but they are still great deals. I went in last week expecting to get one of the few remaining Griso’s, and they lowballed my trade and were very shady about numbers. I was handed a single sheet of paper with a down payment amount and a monthly with no details. Like I said shady.

I started with the Griso because I didn’t think I could 2-up on the smaller bikes, but the wife and I fit well on all models. Wife likes the Bobber, and I like the Special in black with green stripes.

Local Yamaha dealer down the street has a V7ii Stone (Matt Black) with 8k on the odometer for $4999.

Long story short is the V7iii/V9 significantly better enough to bite the bullet and make a deal the devil/dealer looking for scalps? Or should I jump on the V7ii and never look back?

I will be upgrading the suspension (for my weight and 2-up), and fueling with GuzziTech parts if that makes a difference in narrowing the gap between the V7ii and the newer models.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Myself if I was going to be riding two up I would get the griso. That is just me but I would want the extra torque of a bigger engine. Call another Guzzi dealer. I believe there are dealers that will pay your plane ticket if you fly there and then you could ride it home. The Pacific coast Highway would be a great trip then make your way over to Nevada from California.

buy the 3. you might not have to do the suspension work or fuel mod on it. also you know the transmission is good.
it's just a better bike. (covered many times here)
get your financing elsewhere and get hard #'s. lots of dealers do what he did to keep other dealers from low balling them and to keep you confused.

I will be upgrading the suspension (for my weight and 2-up), and fueling with GuzziTech parts if that makes a difference in narrowing the gap between the V7ii and the newer models.
So in short, the only difference between the Mk II vs. Mk III is the hemi cylinder heads (and new triple trees that stretch the wheelbase - which I don't care for personally). The motor revisions equate to ~10 hp more to the rear wheel. I'd say this, go ride the Mk II two-up and see if the power works for you. With exhaust and fueling work, it can be made to feel really enjoyable. That said, see if you can ride the Mk III also back to back if possible (take advantage of the LV dealer) and see for yourself. For two-up riding, both models will require suspension work no doubt outside of the other mods. Hope that helps.

Before you commit, if possible try the RideMalibu V7 offering if feasible. I rented it for 3 days and while Todd's mods, both fuelling and suspension made the bike a pleasure to ride, for two up use I would recommend a physically larger machine.

I am perhaps happier with my Stornello (a II) than with any Guzzi so far ... and I like 'em all.

At risk of stating the obvious, the power of the Griso is WAY more than my V7 (or any V7 or V9), and it would need no mods for two-up riding (with the lack of ABS not, IMO, an insignificant factor).

Oops. Not quite re no mods or an automatic winner in the two-up category. Depends on the pillion.

My indulgent wife, Kathi, who is an accomplished "back seat rider," will not get on the Griso because it scares her. That may mean I scare her, but it is not, IHO, a pillion-friendly machine. She is likely spoiled by the (false) security of the Norge's top case and EV's back rest. Many folks, of course, ride Grisos two-up.

We have not yet tried the Stornello together, and, given the onset of The.Long.Nasty.Dark.Time, that might not happen until spring. I predict she will like it fine because it will seem sedate. I am not avoirdupois-challenged, but, tho Kathi is Jaquette Spratt, I am sure the Stornello's rear suspension will be unhappy, as it doesn't smile with only me on it. As the OP recognizes the need to up-gun the suspension, I think the V7 line (II or III) would do fine, and the V9 better ... if he can come to accept the present coffee or beer bar-to-bar look.

Best,

Bill

Any closer to a decision/purchase? Looks like the Vegas dealer had some blow-out deals for Black Friday (yes, they tack on significant fees, but their OTD pricing is still hard to beat).. I'd agree with everything posted in this thread. And for what it's worth, I'm incredibly happy with my V9. Wasn't sure I was going to find the power sufficient, but it certainly is...even on the rare occasion my wife decides to hop on and join me for a brief Sunday trot (though we're only about 280 lbs combined). In fact, the power delivery actually scares her a bit - I may have to add a back rest if I decide I like hauling her to Sunday morning coffee (she gets concerned she might slide off, but she's a vintage Vespa girl herself).

I have a V9 Bobber. My only reservation given your needs is the two-up. I find myself scooching back on the seat while riding, leaving very little room for a passenger. I'm often sitting on the grab strap.

How high are the stealer fees on the V9? Your wife likes it and I can attest to its goodness. Just sit on it together first.

Griso is a nice bike, but wouldn't be my two-up Guzzi choice, either. Now, my Eldorado can be made passenger friendly...

As a cheap bastrd I'd go straight to that Yammy dealer. See if he'll let you test ride. $5k and no fees for an 8k-miles bike? Unless it was abused I'd jump on that. Service records complete?

Yeah Eldo 1400 is right - stock seat (at least for USA MY 2017 models) is far from ideal for two-up. I have the solo comfort seat and optional passenger pillion on my V9.

Used V7ii sold before I got off my arse to make an offer. To be honest I want the updated V7iii or V9 over the V7ii. My procrastination was self inflicted.

Wife was with me the first trip to the dealer. We both fit on the V7, V9, Griso, and T120. 2-up is a low priority. I ride solo 95% of the time commuting daily and taking weekend trips. The smaller Guzzi’s are tight 2-up, but with proper suspension updates they will be perfectly fine for the limited time she will be with me.

I just can’t shake the desire to own a MG. So my current plan is to swallow my pride, eat the depreciation on my trade and see if the dealer will do better numbers if I let him pick the V7 or V9. I can’t lose regardless of the one he wants to unload the most.

"I just can’t shake the desire to own a MG."

Don't, just get one lol. I waited 45 years and now I own two.

One thing in favor of the V9 for two-up is the position of the pegs, which is more forward than on the V7. This gives a bit more "breathing room" for two I would think. Also, that small extra bit of horsepower would help. I actually don't feel as if my V9 is underpowered. If you both fit on it, why not? PasoDuc88's suggestions are good too, there are options for more comfortable seating. I'm one of the few who really likes the V9 bobber stock seat.

Hello All;

After many years away from riding (family) I am getting back into it and strongly looking at Moto Guzzi. I like the style, design, performance, etc.

My question is this, V7 II or V7 III?

The V7 II is about $2000 CAN less than the VIII. Is the V7 III worth the extra money?

Most of the issues I hear are regarding suspension and fueling, is the III a big improvement in these areas?

Thanks
Maya

I've been riding Guzzi's since around 1971 but have not owned the V7 series so I cannot answer your question directly.
However I can say that if you buy either the II or the III (or any Guzzi with a computer) you will need to do fueling mods to get the most ride ability & performance & long life out of your Guzzi.

Todd who owns this forum can help you with his fueling kits.

If it were me & I could get the V7II for $2000 cheaper I would probably go that route with the idea of spending some of the saved money on upgrades which you will need to do on the V7III anyway.

I've been riding Guzzi's since around 1971 but have not owned the V7 series so I cannot answer your question directly.
However I can say that if you buy either the II or the III (or any Guzzi with a computer) you will need to do fueling mods to get the most ride ability & performance & long life out of your Guzzi.

Todd who owns this forum can help you with his fueling kits.

If it were me & I could get the V7II for $2000 cheaper I would probably go that route with the idea of spending some of the saved money on upgrades which you will need to do on the V7III anyway.
Thanks for the thoughts Trout.

Good advice. I am leaning towards the V7II as the one in my sights already has upgraded suspension and a few other mods I really like. Plus I think I like the look of the V7II better.

CIAO

Good advice. I am leaning towards the V7II as the one in my sights already has upgraded suspension and a few other mods I really like. Plus I think I like the look of the V7II better.
Welcome to the GT Forum... hopefully you skimmed this thread above. Both bikes have the newer 6-spd trans, ABS & TC if that matters to you. From there, the major differences are power. The III has an all-new oiling circuit including oil sprayers on the bottom of the pistons, in addition to the hemi cylinder heads. The downside for me is a more relaxed rake and wheelbase. If you can ride both, that should make it clear on which is for you. If you can get a deal on a III with financing incentives, I would steer you that way.

If it's a V7 II stone don't forget it could very well puke an engine and cost you half a summers riding.
you might live with the V7 III without doing any mods. it's that much better than the II in my not so humble opion.

I had a 2015 V7 Classic and now own a V9 Roamer. IMHO the V9 is a better bike that the V7. The V7 II has the same engine as my old V7, so I never considered a V7 II over a V9. That extra little bit of horsepower makes a difference (I have not ridden a V7 III). Both bikes are built to a price point so you will need the typical upgrades, primarily the suspension.

Back