• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Tires!

farmboy460

Tuned and Synch'ed
Everyone s favorite wintertime topic well perhaps second favorite next to oil!

I put on a set of Michelin pilot activ tires on my California iii last spring. I put nine thousand miles on that bike this summer. Anyhow I bought a tread depth guage today and started measuring the tread. Rear tire is at 1.5 mm when I measured the out side edge it was at 5 mm. The bike the last couple of times out was not handling the way it normally does anyhow on a closer look at the rear tire I had either feathering or cupping. Anyhow I will check the tire pressure tomorrow. My bad I did not check it often enough at least that is my understanding why the tire looks the way it does. I actually measured the difference the leading block in the tread was 3mm and the trailing tread block was 5 mm. On to the front tire it measures out at just a bit under 2 mm. Now with no damage to the rear tire there are a few miles left in them but it is winter lots of time and the back tire needs to go. Not enough left of the front for it to last the life of another rear tire so I think I will replace them both. So now the part everyone likes! Lol! I liked the pilot activ tires but I thought I might try another brand just to see the difference. So considering two things it is the full fairing model so about 630 wet weight, solo riding but I am big also, close to the same as two up. I have always liked Pirelli tires in the past and was thinking about a set of sport demons. Also I wondered about Avon AM 26 tires. Looked at two different Metzeler Tires lazertec and sportec Klassic. I don't seem to be able to find a set of radial tires that would fit. I am leaning towards either the Pirelli Or the sportec Klassic tire. I am open to other ideas but I want an old brand name. No real reason for the way I am leaning towards either. So any experience with any of these and your thoughts would be appreciated. The cost does not really enter into my decision. I have always thought that I never wanted to be lying in a hospital and think to myself I should have bought a better helmet or I should have got the better tires etc. Thanks for the help.

With a bike and rider of that size I would go with a Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT, Pirelli Angel GT or Metzler Roadtec 01(HWM). These are all HWM rated tires. Heavy Weight Motorcycle. I'm not sure if they are available for a California.
I have the Road 4 Gt and they put a smile on my face.

With a bike and rider of that size I would go with a Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT, Pirelli Angel GT or Metzler Roadtec 01(HWM). These are all HWM rated tires. Heavy Weight Motorcycle. I'm not sure if they are available for a California.
I have the Road 4 Gt and they put a smile on my face.

Raven,

Those Radial tires won't fit a California III. Considering the weight of the bike with rider and you appear to be looking for long life, I'd suggest Metzler 880s.

Tire sizes are 110/90-18 front and 120/90-18 rear.

I see the front ME880 is available, but not an 18 inch rear, However those sizes are available in BT 45s, and the new Continental Classic attack radials. I have a set of the Classic Attacks on my LeMans, but the jury is still out on if I like them or not.

I see the front ME880 is available, but not an 18 inch rear, However those sizes are available in BT 45s, and the new Continental Classic attack radials. I have a set of the Classic Attacks on my LeMans, but the jury is still out on if I like them or not.
I will look up continental s web site the online seller u was looking at did not have a listing for the front tire so I guess they just don't sell that one. Interesting that you are thinking that tire over. I really wanted to try a set of radials, I would be interested in what you are thinking is good and what you think is bad. I want something that grips the road well. As we all know the tonti framed bikes handle well and they are a hoot to ride in the mountains! So I would like a tire that makes me feel confident riding through the mountains. That being said I think I am old enough that I don't think public roads are race tracks. The old bike is not a Moto GP bike nor do I pretend to think it is. Thanks for all of the ideas so far. Regards.

The 90/90-18 will fit the front wheel, but for a fared bike, it may not be enough tire. The BT45s may be the best bet. Then again, I just checked the Dunlop 404s and they have the correct sizes you need.

I needed tires for my K1100LT, a 639lbs wet weight bike, and found Beemer riders are raving about the Shinko's. I haven't had any slides yet in wet or dry with those and can scrape the foot pegs with confidence. The rear is was said to last 17000km or 11000 miles, it was not one of my considerations but nice to know. A set delivered to my door was around 200 Canadian dollars plus some tax.
I put them as well on a California 3 of a friend that was passing by from Alaska going down to Argentina and he messaged me this week that they lasted until Panama which was 17000km, confirming the hype on the web.
https://fortnine.ca/en/shinko-230-tour-master-rear-tire
https://fortnine.ca/en/shinko-230-tour-master-front-tire
Prices are in Canadian dollars

I too use and very much like the Shinko 230s, however, the rear one on my '76 Convert only lasted 8k miles. Still, great value for the dollar - $135 for the pair.

Another tire to consider is the Bridgestone S11 Spitfire. Very long lasting and excellent traction wet or dry.

Thank-you everyone for your help and ideas! I ordered a pair today. I thought a lot of things over. I know the Harley Davidson crowd around here all really like Dunlop's, high mileage and they can carry lots of weight. Ditto for the Bridgestone. I read about the shinkos I have never paid any attention to them before but I thought I would try a pair of those on a dirt bike first. I use that bike for crop checking. I don't think that 8000 miles is that bad personally I think that is good mileage. I decided based on two points tonight. First it has been really warm here and the snow has all melted off and I took my 1100 sport out for my first ride on it. Wow did I like the Michelin pilot four tires. Seem much better than the threes. My understanding is they are a newer compound and that is the main difference. So I went with the tire with the newest rubber compound and I also have never owned a Metzeler tire. So for better or worse I ordered a sportec Klassik.
https://fortnine.ca/en/metzeler-sportec-klassik-front-tire.

What worries me. You fellows have more experience with these matters than I do. I likely should have followed some advice. Secondly they were designed for cafe racers. The wieght ratings are high though. I don't think I am going to get a real long life out of them but hopefully they stick like glue to the road. I do appreciate everyone's time and thoughts. I did debate each of your points in my mind. So thank-you once again regards Tom

I picked up my new Torres at the post office today. I had not been there in a while and they had been sitting there for a couple of weeks. They look good so now to get them mounted. I bought a tire balancer and I think I will try a 2x4 method I saw on YouTube to break the beads. I need to get some time off so I can play around with the bike in the shop for a couple of days and get a few things sorted for spring. Once again thank you for all the help.

Back