• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Custom 1400 comparison

groundhog105

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
i have been thinking about to HD lately because of the dealer network nationwide. Today I had the opportunity to ride a 2015 HD road king with 20K on the clock. I also have 22K on my 1400 with Todd’s fueling, Penske shocks, matris fork cartridges. Comparing the two bikes was like comparing a Rouch Mustang to a ford ranger pickup. I could not believe the gap between the two bikes in solid feel, acceleration and handling. The 1400 is a much more aggressive ride.
I was concerned because I am planning on doing the 4 corners of the US ride this next summer but now I’ve got to rethink changing.

Comparing the two bikes was like comparing a Rouch Mustang to a ford ranger pickup. I could not believe the gap between the two bikes in solid feel, acceleration and handling. The 1400 is a much more aggressive ride.
Heh, yep. So if it makes you feel any better, in late '00, I hopped on my Jackal with 33k miles on it and rode to SoCal via Canada then to Seattle, and two weeks to get down the Coast zig-zagging to see all of the cool spots. ~11k miles in total later, I arrived. Zero problems.
I'm trying to think or anything that might be an issue on the 1400, and outside of the key switch and maybe tires, it should be pretty bullet-proof.
As long as you can get online here should you have an issue, I wouldn't hesitate. Nothing like riding the US on a Guzzi. You can do it anytime on an HD (or better yet, newer Indian).

Todd, I will probably do it on the California 1400. I keep putting miles on it waiting for something to go wrong but it just keeps running better. I will bring it to you about a month ahead of time and have you go thru it just to check everything. It will be about a 12,000 mile run before I get back. I figure a valve adjust, oil filter change, and new tires at the 4th checkpoint should get me back ok. I will have to find a shop in the northeastern US to do that.

Anyone know anything about Seacoast Sport Cycle in Derry, NH

>>I will probably do it on the California 1400. <<

I shipped my Touring to Europe in May for 10,000km in Spain, Portugal, France, Ireland and the UK.
I had 20,000km on the bike before I left, so it could prove itself.
Ran Todd's fuelling and crack-proof H pipe.
No issues, rain or shine.
(Now have the full GT-Rx exhaust system as well, and the combination is brilliant).

Leave your cares behind and enjoy the ride.
The bikes are solid.

Stephen

Last May I bought a new 2016 Eldorado at Moto International in Seattle. I rode it home to Wyoming. In June I rode it to Minnesota and Wisconsin. In July I rode it to Kansas, then to Virginia, and back to Wyoming. In September I took it to Montana and North Dakota. I am up to just under 10,000 miles on it now. Despite a significant amount of rain on all but the trip to North Dakota, I have had zero trouble with the motorcycle. This is my third Moto Guzzi and I have had no trouble with any of them that would have stranded me on any long trip, and the Eldorado is the best of the bunch. I wouldn't hesitate to take the kind of trip you are considering on your California. Plus you will have the added fun of responding to all of the, "Do they still make those", comments you will get whenever you stop somewhere!
Garwood.

There's nothing like riding something else to appreciate what you have.

Outside of Todd's comments with the key switch, I'd also throw in the clutch switch. It's very fragile but it won't leave you stranded if it goes. The bike will just not run quite right and the cruise won't work but you'll still be able to ride. (from experience).

i have been thinking about to HD lately because of the dealer network nationwide. I was concerned because I am planning on doing the 4 corners of the US ride this next summer but now I’ve got to rethink changing.

I did a cross-country ride in 2016 (U.S. Rt 50 east to west) and then some. Believe me, I was skeptical and more than a bit worried about what would happen if I had a breakdown. Well, I had 1 1/2 and it was no problem. I even got to meet some nice people that I might not have other wise met if not for mechanical problems. This experience has changed my attitude. Any problems you may have along the way will just make the ride more memorable. And, if it makes you feel any more secure, when riding a Moto-Guzzi in the U.S. you are never more than 500 miles from the nearest dealer. ;-)

I'm trying to think or anything that might be an issue on the 1400, and outside of the key switch and maybe tires, it should be pretty bullet-proof.
As long as you can get online here should you have an issue, I wouldn't hesitate. Nothing like riding the US on a Guzzi. You can do it anytime on an HD (or better yet, newer Indian).

and the exhaust system
and the mysterious, elusive engine oil level
and the leaking fork oil seals
and the...

But really, it is a very reliable bike. (no kidding)

Thanks for all the comments. When I thought about it and especially after riding the Road King I decided to just not worry about and enjoy the 1400. I’ve had the brake switch problem and fixed it. The oil consumption seems to have pretty much stopped or and least slowed to the point it hasn’t seemed to use any in 3500 miles and it get ran a lot at 80 to 90 mph. I do wish fuel mileage was better or the gas tank was bigger.
About the Roush mustang, one of my riding buddies bought a new one a couple years ago and talk about a beast. That is one insane car.

I conmenserate with Guzzie-Lou on the clutch sensor. Been there myself. It was replaced a year or so ago, but no problems with it since.

Owing a '16 Mustang GT I'm impressed that anyone else knows what a Roush Mustang even is.
Owing a '16 Mustang GT I'm impressed that anyone else knows what a Roush Mustang even is.
groundhog I have met you and your Guzzi is awesome. Don’t fear doing your 4 corners tour on it.

Did someone say Roush?

Not only do Guzzi’s tickle me but Roush’s do too. I used to work for Roush. So haveing A Roush Mustang means something to me.

Attachments

• FB71D3E2-67CF-44AB-9E56-08B658EBC905.jpeg
    FB71D3E2-67CF-44AB-9E56-08B658EBC905.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 11
groundhog I have met you and your Guzzi is awesome. Don’t fear doing your 4 corners tour on it.

Did someone say Roush?

Not only do Guzzi’s tickle me but Roush’s do too. I used to work for Roush. So haveing A Roush Mustang means something to me.

That is a nice one. That must be fun working for Roush

I have a Road King and an Eldorado, so I get your comparison. People say the new Harleys are so much improved -- they are, but the underlying philosophy is the same. So, it's still a pickup truck.

I have a Road King and an Eldorado, so I get your comparison. People say the new Harleys are so much improved -- they are, but the underlying philosophy is the same. So, it's still a pickup truck.

I agree and I’m not putting down the Harley. They are a great bike for what they are, now maybe the changes made to the frame and motor in 2018 will improve it more. I know Harley riders that put on big mileage on their bikes and ride in weather that keeps most bikers inside so Harley-Davidson with their product support make a great bike to own but it still doesn’t have the solid feel and handling of the 1400 line. Then throw in Todd’s fueling and suspension and it’s a different world. Somehow Piaggio has to get off their ass and start supporting their product with more dealers.

I agree and I’m not putting down the Harley. They are a great bike for what they are, now maybe the changes made to the frame and motor in 2018 will improve it more. I know Harley riders that put on big mileage on their bikes and ride in weather that keeps most bikers inside so Harley-Davidson with their product support make a great bike to own but it still doesn’t have the solid feel and handling of the 1400 line. Then throw in Todd’s fueling and suspension and it’s a different world. Somehow Piaggio has to get off their ass and start supporting their product with more dealers.

All true. The RK is super comfortable on the freeway and it's a beautiful bike. Of course, we can't forget where the terms "chopper" and "bobber" came from -- guys desperate to lighten their "old man" Harley bikes back in the day. I was reading this piece about the development of the Twin Cam, and how engineering and styling were in conflict. Engineering wanted much more cooling area in the fins, or an oil cooler as standard. Styling wouldn't have it! The compromise was a slightly fatter head, no oil cooler and reduced oil volume to the top end. So what do you now get as an upgrade from HD? A higher volume oil pump and an oil cooler. I have the cooler on mine: too small and no fan. But it looks good!

The Guzzi 1400s are a revelation. I just saw a YouTube of a youngish guy road testing an Indian Dark Horse, a Scout, then a Guzzi 1400 Touring. He was freaking out about how wonderful the MG was, and how it was the only bike of the three he would want to own. He asks the dealer guy, "so, it must cost a fortune" and when he learns that it is less than an Indian bagger he's amazed.

So, I agree fully, Piaggio has some work to do getting the word out.

I bought my '15 Cali Custom At Seacoast in 2014, they are also a Ducati dealership, only been back a few times (first service and cracked rear fender mount under the seat under warranty), no dealer issues except they are very busy, advice is to make an appointment well in advance.
Anyone know anything about Seacoast Sport Cycle in Derry, NH

Back