• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2012 Stelvio NTX Oil Capacity

Holeshot08

Tuned and Synch'ed
Question....every time I change my oil and I add the 3.5 liters of new oil, the level is well over full, I know I am getting all the oil out so I am confused?? I then drain out almost a quart to get it in the full range. Checking oil with level bike and dipstick pushed down. Seems my bike holds around 3 liters or slightly less. Any ideas? Also, the dipstick has a bend so should that be and should the finger loop be down or up?

Thanks,

Holeshot

Best to fill the filter, and add the remaining up to 3 qts. Run and top off to halfway (max) on the stick. Well covered here with a search.

Best to fill the filter, and add the remaining up to 3 qts. Run and top off to halfway (max) on the stick. Well covered here with a search.
Thanks, I did do a couple searches and it wasn't clear. I filled the. Filter first though. Appreciate it

I have a similar deal with my brand new 2016 ntx. I think the dipstick is wrong. Especially since original, from factory, oil level was 1\2 " above max line.

Believe the 3.5L (3500cc as the manual shows) is a dry fill/capacity? Service fill is always less on account of residual oil clinging and pooling in the motor after what seems like a thorough draining.

That's why i believe the dipstick is inaccurate. But for a hand made motorcycle, why is the dipstick inaccurate?

Dipstick is not wrong. If you drain it overnight you will get 3.5L in and the dipstick will read full. Done it for 5 years on the stelvio and never had an issue or oil in the air box. Measure it with the stick fully inserted. You will hear varying opinions.

Still not convinced and here is why. Brand new bike with factory installed oil amount that has never been touched by me. At 900 miles for first service I drained oil into clean container and made a mess losing about a .2 liters. oops. Went to pull off oil filter with the wrong filter wrench. Damn. So instead of $64 worth of oil into old filter i decided to put the factory oil back in until i get somewhere where i could do the change with the proper tool. After putting oil back in i started the bike to circulate the oil back into the system so i could add the amount i lost on the ground. After letting it sit for a few minutes i checked with dipstick with both tires on the ground, sitting vertical on flat surface and low and behold i didn't have to add any because it was way beyond the max line, even tho i spilt .2 liters on the ground. Well, my thought was that the factory overfilled??? Unlikely but whatever. So, when i finally got the proper tool I removed all oil (letting it drain for about 45 minutes) and the filter. Oiled new filter, installed, then proceed to add the said balance of the 3.5 liters. I never put the full amount of oil in for the simple reason that you stated about residual still in inside the motor. in this case I only put a total of 3.3 liters in, started motor to get the oil transferred throughout the engine, let sit for a minute, checked level with dipstick and guess what, it was way above max line. That's why i think dipstick is wrong. What else could it be. Sorry for the long ass story but i just wanted to make sure I was understood why i thought dipstick is wrong.

Still not convinced and here is why. Brand new bike with factory installed oil amount that has never been touched by me. At 900 miles for first service .... Well, my thought was that the factory overfilled??? Unlikely but whatever. I never put the full amount of oil in .... I only put a total of 3.3 liters in, started motor to get the oil transferred throughout the engine, let sit for a minute, checked level with dipstick and guess what, it was way above max line. That's why i think dipstick is wrong. What else could it be.

When I did my first maintenance, at 966 miles,
the new amounts of fluids seemed inconsistent with the manual:

Carc 320 ml vs 350
Trans 540 ml vs 500
Engine 3200 ml plus filter vs 3500

The dipstick, right after the recirculation, showed the level in the middle.

After the first ride, it looked dry!

Before the engine oil change, it was definitely looking overfilled from the factory...

Factory fill showed about 1/4 - 3/8" (6 - 9mm) above the indent with the dipstick fully seated. Curiously, with the dipstick pushed in only to o-ring contact, it showed perfectly at the top in the indent. After the first oil chance (DIY) it shows at top of indent when fully seated and in then middle of indent when fully seated.

My guess is the correct orientation for the dipstick to get a true reading is not fully seated, and pushed only to o-ring contact. Either way, I don't care. If it was that much over the indent as factory fill, it couldn't have been hurting anything AND not one hint of oil in the airbox or airbox drain tube during break-in before the oil change and not one hint after, which tells there has been no over-fill condition.

Factory fill showed about 1/4 - 3/8" (6 - 9mm) above the indent with the dipstick fully seated. Curiously, with the dipstick pushed in only to o-ring contact, it showed perfectly at the top in the indent. After the first oil chance (DIY) it shows at top of indent when fully seated and in then middle of indent when fully seated.

My guess is the correct orientation for the dipstick to get a true reading is not fully seated, and pushed only to o-ring contact. Either way, I don't care. If it was that much over the indent as factory fill, it couldn't have been hurting anything AND not one hint of oil in the airbox or airbox drain tube during break-in before the oil change and not one hint after, which tells there has been no over-fill condition.

Don't rely on the factory dipstick marks. If full to the mark, you are over fill and oil will end up in the airbox. Most use about 250cc less than the factory specification to prevent the oil going to the airbox and fowling the stepper motor and butterflies.

Don't rely on the factory dipstick marks. If full to the mark, you are over fill and oil will end up in the airbox. Most use about 250cc less than the factory specification to prevent the oil going to the airbox and fowling the stepper motor and butterflies.

I understand. But interior of air box is staying clean and dry with these oil levels. For the first oil change I pre-filled the oil filter and put 3 liters into the sump.

Prefer a sight glass like Ducati's have.

What I don't get is if everyone is noticing that the factory fill shows above the indent with the dipstick fully seated, is Moto Guzzi over-filling them during assembly?

Last edited:
I really have to go back to Italy, you know, to clear up this confusion at the source!

In the forum's professional opinion, is small underfill less damaging than overfill?

Now, the only reason why I stated all quantities so precisely is using a surgical syringe as to not fiddle with a funnel...

Every bike is different. My 2012 takes 3.5 liters every time after a thorough draining, fills it to the top of the dipstick and has never left a drop of oil in the air box. Don't tell me it does, because it doesn't. Dip stick is right every time no mater which way it is inserted. Other Stelvio's have done the same. You need to see what your bike does. Don't take others experience as gospel because yours will be different.

Just ride the bike and don't worry about it. Oil in the airbox is not the end of the world. Nothing a little cleaning of the TB and Stepper won't fix if it ever happens. That should be done annually anyways with a good shot of Seafoam and it takes a lot of oil mist to screw it up. Not enough oil in the sump will start the oil foaming and i promise you that you will not like the results of that. Don't put in less that 3.3 litres and you will be fine.

There is not a bike out there that someone has not said the site glass is in the wrong place or the dip stick is wrong. 9.9 times out of 10 they are in the right place based on a completely level (and I mean plumb level) surface. A few degrees tilt in any direction will throw it off. Oil capacity is always based on a dry engine. You would be amazed how much oil is left in the engine after a draining. Draining over night seems to get most of it but you never know. Learn your bike and trust your experience with it, and then repeat it every time. Everyone else's experience (including my own) will vary.

Rant over...just ride.....

I really have to go back to Italy, you know, to clear up this confusion at the source!

In the forum's professional opinion, is small underfill less damaging than overfill?

Now, the only reason why I stated all quantities so precisely is using a surgical syringe as to not fiddle with a funnel...

After reading these recent replies, went out to double check over the bike and dipstick. All okay, but..... Discovered the OEM UFI oil filter I put on while doing service is leaking. I read things saying the Guzzi OEM UFI filter (8 flute) leaks but I'd already bought it and had it on the bike. Well, you guys were right as always, damn thing is seeping. Nothing major but ... dang it.

After reading these recent replies, went out to double check over the bike and dipstick. All okay, but..... Discovered the OEM UFI oil filter I put on while doing service is leaking. I read things saying the Guzzi OEM UFI filter (8 flute) leaks but I'd already bought it and had it on the bike. Well, you guys were right as always, damn thing is seeping. Nothing major but ... dang it.

See if you can torque it to 15Nm. It might stop, then again it might not.

You can try tightening it some more for now but will be a bear to remove later. Better off dumping the oil into a clean container to reuse again and changing it. The only way you will get a UFI 14 flute is to buy a UFI filter supplied directly to the public and not directly to MG. I think MG cycle has them. If not, I have use HiFlow filters (HF-551) with out issue. They fit the same wrench as the 14 flute UFI.

Another option is the Bosch 3330. It uses the same filter wrench as a BMW oil head (1100 or 1150). Also available at most auto p[arts stores.

Checked the oil level today, stone-cold, straight and level:

right at the max level on the dipstick, fully inserted.

Don't think I'm going to add any more at this time...

Back