• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85 TT Info

I'd love to hear some opinions on the new v85 adventure bike that Guzzi is teasing us with currently.
I like it!
I saw the pictures a few weeks ago and assumed it was based on the v9, but I after looking into it
I see Guzzi is claiming 80hp out of the 850cc! Way more than the v9.

So the big question is, how do I get 80hp from my v9? :)

I looked for technical articles but have come up with nothing. The v85's engine has some visual differences than the v9's, but what else? Tuning, 4v heads?

Once more how do I get 80hp from my v9? ;)

You won't get 80 out of your V9, Todd has gotten around 60 (I think) with heavy mods. Try searching "Dyno" in the V9 section.
Guzzi has stated that this 850 is a totally new engine.

I am really excited about the V85 Adventure bike. I have been considering downsizing to only 1 bike & I wanted something on the smaller side but did not want to give up the power of the big blocks.

If this bike performs well I'll have 3 Guzzis & a Victory up for sale.

You won't get 80 out of your V9, Todd has gotten around 60 (I think) with heavy mods. Try searching "Dyno" in the V9 section.
Guzzi has stated that this 850 is a totally new engine.
Yes, thanks Trout. 55 rwhp (or ~63-66 at the crank) out of a V9 with minor mods.
The engine they are showing on the prototype surely is just a V9 motor with a restyled valve cover... which leaves that hopefully they are developing a 4V head that they aren't yet showing or talking about... that is the only way I can conceive that 80hp is possible out of a (horizontally-split crankcase - shim washer crank) small block.

Todd when you say "shim washer crank" is that how the small blocks set crank end play?
I can't remember which auto engine(s) used that.
Old air cooled VW maybe.

It sure would be a treat if Guzzi actually came out with an 80hp 850 and left room for Todd to play.

Todd when you say "shim washer crank" is that how the small blocks set crank end play?
I can't remember which auto engine(s) used that.
Old air cooled VW maybe.
It sure would be a treat if Guzzi actually came out with an 80hp 850 and left room for Todd to play.
Yes, correct on the end float... and YES it sure would. Fingers crossed. I sure hope they modernize the bottom end since they finally grafted on that wonderfully "modern" c1901 hemi-head tech. ;)

I think it is a great concept. At 80 HP that is pretty close to my B1100 but with a big weight advantage from what I have read. This could be the Guzzi that would tempt me to move on the Mighty Breva a bike that has served me so well

piecemealadventurer.wordpress.com/

I think it is a great concept. At 80 HP that is pretty close to my B1100 but with a big weight advantage from what I have read. This could be the Guzzi that would tempt me to move on the Mighty Breva a bike that has served me so well

If you want a V85, add one, but I wouldn't give up the dependable Breva.

I just want to add John the B11 is an amazingly reliable bike. My B11 has done 140,000km and been to parts of Australia that I bet weren't in the design brief

The rumour on a UK Guzzi forum is that the launch date is some time in 2021. What’s the word Stateside?
With Guzzi, no one really knows, but the US PR person says Q3 2018 for Europe (possibly).
Depending on if they do anything with the 850cc Bobber/Roamer motor other than drop it in (and if that is the case), it could be possible.

I'd be real interested in NORGE type bike with the smaller motor and lighter weight.
I can’t imagine that happening as I’m pretty sure the big block 850 variants (Breva/Norge) did not do well anywhere. That said, if anyone had said they were going to release this bike a year or so ago... no way would’ve been my bet.

Yes, correct on the end float... and YES it sure would. Fingers crossed. I sure hope they modernize the bottom end since they finally grafted on that wonderfully "modern" c1901 hemi-head tech. ;)

Hmm. I don't know what's different about the "shim washer" method of adjusting crank end float vs producing different full-circle plain bearings of slightly different thicknesses to control end float like the big block motors do, or using end-float shims in so many different automotive and motorcycle engines with horizontally split cases and plain bearings. Can you enlighten me?

Power production is almost always much more a matter of cylinder head/piston/cam timing than anything to do with the bottom end. Longevity and reliability are generally the more crucial attributes that bottom end design manages: providing a solid and structurally sound foundation for the crank to spin in. Dump the single throttle body intake design for dual throttle bodies, straighten out the intake tract, develop a better power producing cam along with ports and pistons that shroud the valves less, etc etc etc ... I don't see why 80 hp would be that hard to achieve with an 850cc engine.

The big question that comes into my head when I hear a manufacturer claiming a horsepower number is "How are they measuring that? Or are they calculating it?"

For me this power question is mostly academic. As I become more and more comfortable tossing my V7III Racer about on a twisty road, I could see where I'd have some more options and maybe a bit more fun with a bit more mid-range oomph in the higher gears, but honestly without a good coverage fairing I have little real desire to run speeds that are substantially higher than it can achieve on cruise as is, and the acceleration up to 85 or so would be the major benefit. And it's not too shabby even stock. Perhaps an 820cc kit in it is in the cards but I'll likely wait until I have a few more thousands of miles, at least, on it before making such a large change. I'm actually more tempted by a full Öhlins front end ...

I'll know better next Summer after I complete a more lengthy 2000+ mile trip or two whether I need to develop it further or whether its as-delivered balance of power, comfort, and handling just works fine for me. :D

Moved this to the V7-85-9 section to continue the discussion here.
From the site link below...
V85
Moto Guzzi takes a step towards the future, a homage to the quintessence of travel, dedicated to motorcyclists who do not stop when they reach the end of the asphalt.
Announcing the 80 HP twin cylinder, the new technical platform around which Moto Guzzi will be developing a new family of motorcycles.

The V85 is another gaze opened towards the future, the next challenge for a brand that aims to offer enthusiasts a wider range that meets every need. The features it has place the V85 between the classic V7 and V9 family and the 1400 large cruisers, covering the gap left by Stelvio. It is a motorcycle that has travel in its blood and the unmistakable spirit of Moto Guzzi.

The V85 is dedicated to those who, while never ceasing to dream of Dakar, yearn for a bike that revives the spirit of adventure on their daily journeys. The Moto Guzzi prefigures a modern motorcycle, fully equipped and with a strong character, but also a pure and essential motorcycle with its shapes that originate directly from Moto Guzzi’s own history.

http://discoverv85.motoguzzi.com/en/
Very well could be my next Guzzi!
Claimed 80HP.
Hope it has a 300 mile range for fuel.

V85 image1

V85 image2

V85 image3

V85 image4

Maybe Guzzi will do a "semi water cooled head" a la Harley Davidson to keep leaned out Euro 4 and beyond engines from melting at higher power levels.

I'm OK with the power on the V9. Any more and it would need better suspension and brakes.

Yes, thanks Trout. 55 rwhp (or ~63-66 at the crank) out of a V9 with minor mods.
The engine they are showing on the prototype surely is just a V9 motor with a restyled valve cover... which leaves that hopefully they are developing a 4V head that they aren't yet showing or talking about... that is the only way I can conceive that 80hp is possible out of a (horizontally-split crankcase - shim washer crank) small block.

If they do release a 4V head will you have any intention of having some kind of drop in kit to give even more power like you do on the V7III kit or does a 4V bring up issues?

If they do release a 4V head will you have any intention of having some kind of drop in kit to give even more power like you do on the V7III kit or does a 4V bring up issues?
852cc is max bore, and the heads are as good as they get, so if they do go 4V, outside of exhaust and fueling, probably not much that can be done. The small block is reaching its limits.

Back